Daenerys is Azor Ahai Reborn

13 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

What's the point if you're making so little progress? 

Hell even I'm not so riled up about it! :lmao:

Could anyone convince the Nazis that they were wrong. The ISIS or other jihadis? Sure, force was and is needed, but there are a few people who were made to see what's right and who left extremism. Negligible progress. But lives of few dozen terrorists plus innumerable they would have killed if continued to be one is not negligible. I'm against hate (Stark) mongering, fanatic fervent (Dany) devotion, and I'm satisfied with little progress. 

C'mon guys. This sniping at each other is pretty counterproductive. No need to namecall or come within Godwin's Law. It's fiction. Let's enjoy the characters and discuss the proposal at issue. 

Is Dany Azor Ahai come again? I think not, because Azor Ahai was never a person that existed. Azor Ahai is a part of a monomyth, and is a similar figure to the Last Hero, another mythical figure that never existed. These figures are not here to be reborn as literal people. They are more or less archetypes. Dany might share similar traits to the mythical figure, as does Jon, but neither of them are literally Azor Ahai.

Edited by Nathan Stark

46 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

C'mon guys. This sniping at each other is pretty counterproductive. No need to namecall or come within Godwin's Law. It's fiction. Let's enjoy the characters and discuss the proposal at issue. 

Is Dany Azor Ahai come again? I think not, because Azor Ahai was never a person that existed. Azor Ahai is a part of a monomyth, and is a similar figure to the Last Hero, another mythical figure that never existed. These figures are not here to be reborn as literal people. They are more or less archetypes. Dany might share similar traits to the mythical figure, as does Jon, but neither of them are literally Azor Ahai.

I think that in Agot grrm wanted us to think that danny was AA and in Adwd he wants us to think that after all it might be jon because he drops a lot of hints in that book.

16 minutes ago, divica said:

I think that in Agot grrm wanted us to think that danny was AA and in Adwd he wants us to think that after all it might be jon because he drops a lot of hints in that book.

I don't think GRRM wants us to take the AA story literally. It serves as worldbuilding, and as a way to give hints about the Long Night, which the myth is based on. But George has said that we won't see figures like the Nights King in the books, and the same is true for Azor Ahai imo.

16 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

I disagree.  Dany fits the criteria for Azor Ahai.  She is the main protagonists in the series.  It will be her destiny to defeat ice and the Starks to bring Westeros back from the darkness.  

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

I disagree.  Dany fits the criteria for Azor Ahai.  She is the main protagonists in the series.  It will be her destiny to defeat ice and the Starks to bring Westeros back from the darkness.  

Dany is one of the protagonists. She is not the main protagonist. Jon, Arya, and Tyrion all have more total pov chapters. You have to do a lot of re-writing of the story we have been given so far to make this the more straightforward story you're arguing for. 

Dany is going through the journey that all heroes go through.  Slavery was not going away without the bad people who kept slaves putting up a fight.  One of her task to reach greatness is to defeat the slavers.  Her arc will lead her to rule Westeros and parts of Essos.  Azor Ahai is only one of her roles but one that she has to accept before earning the iron throne.  

Could anyone convince the Nazis that they were wrong. The ISIS or other jihadis? Sure, force was and is needed, but there are a few people who were made to see what's right and who left extremism. Negligible progress. But lives of few dozen terrorists plus innumerable they would have killed if continued to be one is not negligible. I'm against hate (Stark) mongering, fanatic fervent (Dany) devotion, and I'm satisfied with little progress. 

When you see someone comparing fans of a fictional character to nazis, ISIS members or jihadists, you know we're past those lines.

I think at the end of the series Dany will be the "obvious" Azor Ahai but by reading the prophecy in a more metaphorical manner Jon will also have fulfilled all the steps.

Drogo was her Nissa Nissa, her dragons are her Lightbringer, her "flaming sword held above the world."

But she needs to "pass beneath the shadow" to "touch the light", which I think means she'll die and Jon will arrange for her to be resurrected; she will be his Lightbringer, the dragon he awakens from stone.

17 hours ago, SkyShadowing said:

But she needs to "pass beneath the shadow" to "touch the light", which I think means she'll die and Jon will arrange for her to be resurrected; she will be his Lightbringer, the dragon he awakens from stone.

That's an interesting theory actually. Didn't GRRM say that we wouldn't have any Asshai chapters?

On 5/11/2021 at 10:55 PM, SkyShadowing said:

I think at the end of the series Dany will be the "obvious" Azor Ahai but by reading the prophecy in a more metaphorical manner Jon will also have fulfilled all the steps.

Drogo was her Nissa Nissa, her dragons are her Lightbringer, her "flaming sword held above the world."

I don't think so.  To pass beneath the shadow means to live through the Long Night and live on through the Summer.  Daenerys will survive the Long Night.  Daenerys and Bran will be the only main characters to see the return of the light.  And Bran will either die or retreat underground soon after.  Jon will be living in his direwolf by then. I think we will meet a very old and grizzled Ghost at the end. Jon's soul will be inside.  

On 4/5/2020 at 11:31 AM, Wm Portnoy said:

The plea from Qaithe would delay the trip to Westeros at the very least.  It is a search for knowledge but also a chance to gain experience.  The Long Night will happen anyway.  It is for the best to wait until it's over before moving operations to Westeros.  Let the white walkers rid the land of the pesky lions and direwolves.  Spring will drive the white walkers back to where they came from.

Good point.  The darkness will happen.  It can't be prevented any more than the night can be stopped from happening.  But the people can relocate to Essos.  Their chances of survival will be much higher.  I don't think it will freeze in the southern parts of Essos.  I don't think the white walkers will hurt the Starks.  The Starks will turn to the dark and support the white walkers.  They will be bitter over the death of Jon, Stannis, Rickon, and Arya.  It will push Bran and Arya all the way into the dark side.  

On 5/12/2021 at 4:09 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

That's an interesting theory actually. Didn't GRRM say that we wouldn't have any Asshai chapters?

I think what he said was that she would not go to Asshai.  But that she would learn something about Asshai.  It's very vague at this point.

I suspect that Quaithe is telling her that she has to go North (to Vaes Dothrak) before she can proceed South.  That she has to go back in order to go forward for some reason.

Passing beneath the shadow might refer to the Mother of Mountains at Vaes Dothrak.  This is how it is described:

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys V

The wild stallion's heart was all muscle, and Dany had to worry it with her teeth and chew each mouthful a long time. No steel was permitted within the sacred confines of Vaes Dothrak, beneath the shadow of the Mother of Mountains; she had to rip the heart apart with teeth and nails. Her stomach roiled and heaved, yet she kept on, her face smeared with the heartsblood that sometimes seemed to explode against her lips.

Dany was supposed to joins the crones after Drogo's death; so this vision in the House of Undying seems relevant:

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys IV

Faster and faster the visions came, one after the other, until it seemed as if the very air had come alive. Shadows whirled and danced inside a tent, boneless and terrible. A little girl ran barefoot toward a big house with a red door. Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon bursting from her brow. Behind a silver horse the bloody corpse of a naked man bounced and dragged. A white lion ran through grass taller than a man. Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed. Ten thousand slaves lifted bloodstained hands as she raced by on her silver, riding like the wind. "Mother!" they cried. "Mother, mother!" They were reaching for her, touching her, tugging at her cloak, the hem of her skirt, her foot, her leg, her breast. They wanted her, needed her, the fire, the life, and Dany gasped and opened her arms to give herself to them . . .

Passing beneath the shadow may refer to whatever it is that Dany will undergo when she joins the crones.  It might involve some kind of mystical initiation where Dany has visions of Asshai, passing beneath the shadows of Asshai in a sense.  She could even have another dragon dream (touching the light) that takes her to Asshai.

Edited by LynnS

On 5/13/2021 at 1:38 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

I don't think so.  To pass beneath the shadow means to live through the Long Night and live on through the Summer.  Daenerys will survive the Long Night.  Daenerys and Bran will be the only main characters to see the return of the light.  And Bran will either die or retreat underground soon after.  Jon will be living in his direwolf by then. I think we will meet a very old and grizzled Ghost at the end. Jon's soul will be inside.  

Our favorite young hero will take the long way to Westeros. Her arrival will start the end of the long night, and Bran. Ghost and Jon will be dead by then.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 11:47 AM, Rondo said:

This.  She is Azor Ahai because she fulfilled the prophecy by hatching the dragons.