Daenerys is Azor Ahai Reborn

2 hours ago, Megorova said:

As "the blood of the dragon"/Targaryens by blood, all three of them - Dany, Rhaego, and Jon - are "fire made flesh", same as dragons, thus all of them are one - R'hllor's weapon. The three-headed dragon. Same as Targaryen sigil, which represents Aegon and his sister-wives, or - House Targaryen as one entity.

There is no reason to believe that R'hllor will be any better than the Great Other.

2 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Yeah I get that, but the primary source we have is Raloo, and it would be validating him most of all.

When it comes to Azor Ahai yes. But for what it worths I cannot see R'hllor being a benevelont God. 

2 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

So, the god who's religion is based on burning people alive and hating anyone who doesn't practice it is the good guy? That's the least GRRM thing in the world. That would be proving right extremist (something he's fully against) and proving right the most disgusting people in Planethos.

Exactly why I don’t think that R’hllor is the good guy or why someone with only fire can be the hero. R’hllor is a savage God he is the 'someone save us from the God' type of God. The same reason why I believe that the Stallion who mounts the world is a destroyer and not a hero.

43 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Very fitting.  Daenerys Targaryen is the Azor Ahai.  We should think of Azor Ahai as an inherited title passed down through the Targaryen bloodline.

That'd be very, let's say 'problematic' from George.

30 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

There is no reason to believe that R'hllor will be any better than the Great Other.

When it comes to Azor Ahai yes. But for what it worths I cannot see R'hllor being a benevelont God. 

Exactly why I don’t think that R’hllor is the good guy or why someone with only fire can be the hero. R’hllor is a savage God he is the 'someone save us from the God' type of God. The same reason why I believe that the Stallion who mounts the world is a destroyer and not a hero.

Yeah, absolutely, you know what I think tho, the prophecy is designed to make humans continue the cycle of violence. The prophecy is saying 'the way to solve this is with a badass sword'. So humanity won't look for other ways, they won't look for peace, they will only look to exterminate the 'other' as they always had.

7 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

Yeah, absolutely, you know what I think tho, the prophecy is designed to make humans continue the cycle of violence. The prophecy is saying 'the way to solve this is with a badass sword'. So humanity won't look for other ways, they won't look for peace, they will only look to exterminate the 'other' as they always had.

I agree with you. I believe however that this happens because the cultures that follow the God and whose hero has been prophesied like that are savages and the only way of life is by killing and pillaging. The people make their God as savage as they want him to be.  

4 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

So, the god who's religion is based on burning people alive and hating anyone who doesn't practice it is the good guy?

What about Christian God and Allah? Are they bad, just because muslims state that all other people who are not muslims are infidels and will burn in hell, and because of what knights Templars did during their religious crusades?

Just because Red Priests burn people alive, it doesn't mean that R'hllor asked them to do this, or that R'hllor cares who worships him or who doesn't. What people do in the name of their God, actually has nothing to do, at all, with that God's will.

1 hour ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

It seems that what the Others want, is to kill everyone, all the people in the world. Though, it doesn't seems like R'hllor wants to burn the entire world. So he is better than the Great Other, at least in that that the total annihilation of mankind is not on his To Do list.

55 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

The prophecy is saying 'the way to solve this is with a badass sword'. So humanity won't look for other ways, they won't look for peace, they will only look to exterminate the 'other' as they always had.

Would be kind of dumb to try and negotiate with them:

A shadow emerged from the dark of the wood. It stood in front of Royce. Tall, it was, and gaunt and hard as old bones, with flesh pale as milk. Its armor seemed to change color as it moved; here it was white as new-fallen snow, there black as shadow, everywhere dappled with the deep grey-green of the trees. The patterns ran like moonlight on water with every step it took.

Will heard the breath go out of Ser Waymar Royce in a long hiss. “Come no farther,” the lordling warned. His voice cracked like a boy’s. He threw the long sable cloak back over his shoulders, to free his arms for battle, and took his sword in both hands. The wind had stopped. It was very cold.

The Other slid forward on silent feet. In its hand was a longsword like none that Will had ever seen. No human metal had gone into the forging of that blade. It was alive with moonlight, translucent, a shard of crystal so thin that it seemed almost to vanish when seen edge-on. There was a faint blue shimmer to the thing, a ghost-light that played around its edges, and somehow Will knew it was sharper than any razor.

Ser Waymar met him bravely. “Dance with me then.” He lifted his sword high over his head, defiant. His hands trembled from the weight of it, or perhaps from the cold. Yet in that moment, Will thought, he was a boy no longer, but a man of the Night’s Watch.

The Other halted. Will saw its eyes; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice. They fixed on the longsword trembling on high, watched the moonlight running cold along the metal. For a heartbeat he dared to hope.

They emerged silently from the shadows, twins to the first. Three of them…four…five…Ser Waymar may have felt the cold that came with them, but he never saw them, never heard them. Will had to call out. It was his duty. And his death, if he did. He shivered, and hugged the tree, and kept the silence.

The pale sword came shivering through the air.

Ser Waymar met it with steel. When the blades met, there was no ring of metal on metal; only a high, thin sound at the edge of hearing, like an animal screaming in pain. Royce checked a second blow, and a third, then fell back a step. Another flurry of blows, and he fell back again.

Behind him, to right, to left, all around him, the watchers stood patient, faceless, silent, the shifting patterns of their delicate armor making them all but invisible in the wood. Yet they made no move to interfere.

Again and again the swords met, until Will wanted to cover his ears against the strange anguished keening of their clash. Ser Waymar was panting from the effort now, his breath steaming in the moonlight. His blade was white with frost; the Other’s danced with pale blue light.

Then Royce’s parry came a beat too late. The pale sword bit through the ringmail beneath his arm. The young lord cried out in pain. Blood welled between the rings. It steamed in the cold, and the droplets seemed red as fire where they touched the snow. Ser Waymar’s fingers brushed his side. His moleskin glove came away soaked with red.

The Other said something in a language that Will did not know; his voice was like the cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking.

Ser Waymar Royce found his fury. “For Robert!” he shouted, and he came up snarling, lifting the frost-covered longsword with both hands and swinging it around in a flat sidearm slash with all his weight behind it. The Other’s parry was almost lazy.

When the blades touched, the steel shattered.

A scream echoed through the forest night, and the longsword shivered into a hundred brittle pieces, the shards scattering like a rain of needles. Royce went to his knees, shrieking, and covered his eyes. Blood welled between his fingers.

The watchers moved forward together, as if some signal had been given. Swords rose and fell, all in a deathly silence. It was cold butchery. The pale blades sliced through ringmail as if it were silk. Will closed his eyes. Far beneath him, he heard their voices and laughter sharp as icicles.

They are butchers, they won't negotiate. They kill women, children, little babies, they slaughter animals. They kill everyone and everything alive, even those who didn't attacked nor in any way provoked them.

Negotiations? :rolleyes: Yeah, right.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:47 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I pulled up an old topic from long ago.  I thought it worth the effort to widen the scope of this discussion. 

We started off talking about the "ghosts" in the hallway and their swords.  I want to bring in additional materials that may help in the discussion, for those who would care to talk about this old topic.

From Pate:

There are at least four of these "candles."  Valyria is the accepted origin.

From Armen:

Why would a candle have sharp edges?  Only weapons have sharp edges.  Knowledge can be dangerous but not as dangerous as ignorance.  I don't agree with this part of Armen's opinion.

From Leo:

The source of light is obviously not a flame. 

From Armen:

No it does not.  Marwyn thinks it's obsidian though. 

From Samwell:

So what kind of light makes whites look like that?  Something that has ultra-violet.  The perfect light to use against creatures who live at night.  They burn instead of getting a sun tan. 

From Will:

So once again, we have swords that glow in the dark.  This one gives off blue light. 

From Ned:

Arthur's sword glows in the dark?  It is described as glass-like.

From Daenerys:

We assumed in the first discussion that these men were not the Targaryen kings of Westeros.  The Targaryens do not name themselves or their reign in terms of gem stones.  These men were older, from a long time ago.  These men were Azor Ahai of his time.  Their clothes were ragged because they were living through the long night.  So why is Daenerys important to them?  I believe it is because she is Azor Ahai for this time.  She is the one who can "wake the dragon."  The dragon represents fire and light. 

From Quaithe:

It is my opinion that the death of Khal Drogo lit the candles.  Khal Drogo is Nissa Nissa. 

From The World of Ice & Fire:

So it is believed the Blood Betrayal caused the Long Night.  I'm doubtful, but let's continue.  It is obvious to me, Maiden-Made-of-Light is the Sun.  Lion of Night is the Moon.

From Old Nan:

This looks like a climate change to me.  Change the environment and it favors another species.  The definition of who is fittest can change.  Darkness and cold favor the white walkers.

This is clear evidence.  The threat existed long before the blood betrayal took place.  Why else would the effort to build and guard these fortresses be sensible.  The size of the defense is equal to the seriousness of the threat.  The blood betrayal did not create the threat.

The "ghosts" must have failed.  They are hailed as heroes in the records but I think the climate changed on its own.  The long night ended but the empire remained broken.  I believe this is important, but more on this later.  Parts of the old ruling families still exists and rule fractions of what was the old empire. 

Amethyst is a purple-blue color.  This guy, Bu Gai, must have descended from the Amethyst Empress (family) of old. 

From George Martin: (not an exact quote)

From Quaithe:

From Daenerys and Quaithe:

No people in their right mind would build with this stone in a place like this.  Unless it wasn't like this when it was built.  Asshai must have been normal in the past.  Something happened to corrupt the very stone of the city itself and contaminate the land around it.  Perhaps this is the after effects of the long night.

I know.  Whew that was long.  But I hope you will agree with me.  It is important for Daenerys Targaryen to learn this truth to avoid a repeat of what happened in this part of the world.  The Amethyst Empress was not an individual but a political faction and family branch.  The Red was also a political faction.  Much like the Tigers and the Elephants in the free cities today.  The blood betrayal caused a political and social divide.  The empire could no longer properly defend its borders because they were divided.  Daenerys assumed Asshai but Quaithe probably meant Yin.  Lightbringer's role is to restore and to rebuild after the end of the long night.  It is easier to accept Lightbringer being glass lanterns to light the world through the long night.  It may even be a weapon because it is sharp.  At least some enable communication.  I don't rule out that there is an actual sword called Lightbringer but an object with multiple uses, weapon, lantern, and telephone, is much more useful.  The Valyrians perhaps didn't know what it was and repurposed the glass objects into communication devices.  The phrase "to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow" mean the long night cannot be stopped nor avoided.  Daenerys will have to live through the darkness before she can again enjoy light and warmth.  Which is fitting because the last title will be A Dream of Spring.  Knowing this truth will help her prepare herself and her people to live through the long night and rebuild afterwards.  The last part is something the previous Azor Ahai was never able to do.

I am also of the opinion that Dany will be the one to build the new Empire of the Dawn.  The old men in that hallway were her ancestors.  They can be both Targaryen and Azor Ahai.  The Targaryen name is comparatively recent.  Maybe the people of the early era did not have surnames.  They instead preferred to differentiate themselves according to the color of gemstones. 

On 4/6/2020 at 12:10 AM, Van Gogh said:

I don't think Lightbringer is in Westeros and Jon is not Azor Ahai.  LB is a glass candle.  Its light may have special properties which simulate natural sunlight.

:agree:  Dany is Azor Ahai

On 4/8/2020 at 7:23 PM, Finley McLeod said:

I love the parallel roles of Daenerys and Bran.  Quaithe is basically telling Daenerys to go to the east and defend the lands.  She has thousands of newly released slaves in training to become soldiers.  How cool would it be to send them to the Five Forts and build up the defense.  Bran's job is to pick up where his brothers failed miserably and defend the north.  Quaithe and Brynden too are parallel. 

:agree:

On 4/8/2020 at 7:16 PM, Finley McLeod said:

Take note, the difference in candles or swords if you prefer.  Those candles could be related to the gemstone families from the old empire.  Westerosi nobles have their sigils and banners.  The families from the old empire distinguish themselves by color.  And it is easier to distinguish colors by using something familiar, like gemstones.  It's not at all remarkable.  The Targaryens were distinguished by colors during the dance, the blacks and the greens.  So to use an example, the milky looking sword of House Dayne could have been the property of the family of the Opal emperor. 

Yup. The gemstones are family symbols.  Which land is said to have gemstones aplenty?  Asshai. 

39 minutes ago, Megorova said:

What about Christian God and Allah? Are they bad, just because muslims state that all other people who are not muslims are infidels and will burn in hell, and because of what knights Templars did during their religious crusades?

Given that they likely don't exist, no, they aren't bad. (Also I want to clarify that just muslim extremist believe that, definitely not all muslims). But those gods don't have an official way of communicating with their followers, Raloo does, so he could just simply send a bunch of visions saying 'hey, don't do this' and his people would listen, if he doesn't it's because he's an asshole.

Just because Red Priests burn people alive, it doesn't mean that R'hllor asked them to do this, or that R'hllor cares who worships him or who doesn't. What people do in the name of their God, actually has nothing to do, at all, with that God's will.

If you read other GRRM stories you would see that visions are either manipulation by telepaths or just plain bullshit. If you read more you would know that religious extremists are never right in his stories. And if you knew about his life you would know he has a huge grudge with religion, you would also know that he's really anti-war. Him making a god of war from the pantheon of the most sadistic religion in existence the savior of mankind is preposterous as hell.

It seems that what the Others want, is to kill everyone, all the people in the world. Though, it doesn't seems like R'hllor wants to burn the entire world. So he is better than the Great Other, at least in that that the total annihilation of mankind is not on his To Do list.

Nah, he just wants to kill 90% of the world, meaning everyone who doesn't worship him.

Also, you don't know the Other's motives.

Would be kind of dumb to try and negotiate with them:

They are butchers, they won't negotiate. They kill women, children, little babies, they slaughter animals. They kill everyone and everything alive, even those who didn't attacked nor in any way provoked them.

Negotiations? :rolleyes: Yeah, right.

That's what you think tho, based of two encounters with Others. If the only humans you'd meet where Joffrey and Ramsay you would think the humans are all sadists. What you know from the Others is based on biased tales by the Westerosi. The thing is, the Others are named after an anthropological concept of a group of people discriminated against because they are different, which makes me think they aren't monsters. There's also In The House Of The Worm, a GRRM short story in which other-like beings appear, humanity both fears and hates them, and they hate humanity too, in the end the protagonist works with one of them, discovers they are actually human and realizes they are humanity's salvation against climate change. And yes, the Others attacked, but they attacked trespassing armed humans in their land, and since humans are raised thinking the Others are literal monsters, the Others might feel similarly about humans. Open your mind. 

But the most important bit of 'evidence' of all: this is GRRM, he doesn't do 'light versus dark, good versus evil', he does complicated stories about the human condition, the human heart in conflict with itself. What sounds more like that, humanity joining forces to kill all-evil demons or humanity realizing they where wrong about these 'demons' and working for peace (or even more likely, humanity fighting these 'demons' while we realize it is completely wrong and will only cause more death and the destruction of both species). And GRRM likes subverting expectations, does he writing about an all evil race in chapter one of book one and ending the series with a battle against the evil race sound like a subversion? 

Like I said, he wrote about all these things before in many stories, he never wrote about a religious figure saving the world, a fight against good and evil or war saving humanity. Read, his work, specially The Armageddon Rag and In The House Of The Worm, not just because they are awesome, but because you might find more interesting stuff to analyze there than squinting at a random line in FAB to build a random family tree.

16 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

What do you think George means when he says that fire is love. life and light?  Is there a character who personifies those characteristics or could evolve to embody those qualities?

What does Quaithe mean when she says Dany must pass beneath the shadow and touch the light?  Is she talking about knowledge and wisdom?

Edit:  If you are one of the chosen (Dany and Bran) and are given great power; it must be tempered and guided by knowledge, wisdom and love, or you get corruption: hate, death and darkness.  Something that is true for both Bran and Dany. Something that harkens back to Aemon, when he says he must go to her, guide her and become one of the heads of the dragon.

Edited by LynnS

13 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

And GRRM likes subverting expectations, does he writing about an all evil race in chapter one of book one and ending the series with a battle against the evil race sound like a subversion? 

Like I said, he wrote about all these things before in many stories, he never wrote about a religious figure saving the world, a fight against good and evil or war saving humanity.

EXACTLY!!! He never wrote anything like that in his other stories, thus him writing a story in which there will be clear sides - people are good, the Others are bad, and one side will exterminate the other side; and the human side will be saved by the Messiah, is GRRM subverting expectations - writing not how he usually wrote in his other stories. Yes? ^_^

Edited by Megorova

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

What do you think George means when he says that fire is love. life and light?  Is there a character who personifies those characteristics or could evolve to embody those qualities?

What does Quaithe mean when she says Dany must pass beneath the shadow and touch the light?  Is she talking about knowledge and wisdom?

Edit:  If you are one of the chosen (Dany and Bran) and are given great power; it must be tempered and guided by knowledge, wisdom and love, or you get corruption: hate, death and darkness.  Something that is true for both Bran and Dany. Something that harkens back to Aemon, when he says he must go to her, guide her and become one of the heads of the dragon.

Hate, death, and darkness is where Arya has ended up.  Thankfully, she is not as powerful of a skin changer as Bran.  She also doesn't have the Greenseeing.  Bran could end up in the same mental hell if he betrays Bloodraven.

Daenerys is light and life.  Mhysa means mother.  She gave life to dragons and rescued thousands of people from slavery.  She is Azor Ahai, the person who will lead the world back into the light.  Khal Drogo was her Nissa Nissa. 

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

Ι think that its similar to his fire consumes. Fire is good when it is under control same with ice. Dany is all fire and lacks ice, Bran is all ice and no fire. That is why I believe that they can be the supporters but not the leaders.

32 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Hate, death, and darkness is where Arya has ended up.  Thankfully, she is not as powerful of a skin changer as Bran.  She also doesn't have the Greenseeing.  Bran could end up in the same mental hell if he betrays Bloodraven.

Daenerys is light and life.  Mhysa means mother.  She gave life to dragons and rescued thousands of people from slavery.  She is Azor Ahai, the person who will lead the world back into the light.  Khal Drogo was her Nissa Nissa. 

4 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Ι think that its similar to his fire consumes. Fire is good when it is under control same with ice. Dany is all fire and lacks ice, Bran is all ice and no fire. That is why I believe that they can be the supporters but not the leaders.

I'll come back tomorrow with some thoughts.  Today is GoT day with my niece,  who has never seen the show or read the books!  Covid lockdowns are easing up.  Hooray!

17 hours ago, Megorova said:

Maybe the Others don't see it as annihilation, but as a better way of existing. Maybe their offer is eternal life, but as pure spirit able to skinchange or make an ice body at will - it would be the perfection of what the Undying try to do, and what the greenseers do. Dreamers on spikes would sum it up.

This would get round the Others being evil, because at least some humans would choose this if offered - no mess, only magic. No wars, suffering, deaths, births, love, hatred, anything.

It's sort of hinted that eternal life is the big sell, because on Dany's side, Benerro offered something similar, via re-birth:

"[...] She is Azor Ahai returned... and her triumph over darkness will bring a summer that will never end... death itself will bend the knee, and all those who die fighting in her cause shall be reborn..."

Not so very far apart, really.

7 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

Maybe the Others don't see it as annihilation, but as a better way of existing.

I see them as Martin said 

strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:35 PM, Megorova said:

Azor Ahai was a priest, not a smith.

He could be a priest and a smith, or he could just be a smith that the priests prophesied would make a sacred sword and save the world.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:35 PM, Megorova said:

Just because Azor forged Lightbringer, doesn't mean that he was a smith. It's the same as - just because you can cook food, it doesn't make you a chef.

It absolutely does, you know. Lightbringer is not cheese on toast, it's a full menu from a restaurant with many michelin stars.

9 hours ago, Megorova said:

EXACTLY!!! He never wrote anything like that in his other stories, thus him writing a story in which there will be clear sides - people are good, the Others are bad, and one side will exterminate the other side; and the human side will be saved by the Messiah, is GRRM subverting expectations - writing not how he usually wrote in his other stories. Yes? ^_^

What? that's the worst argument ever. Writing a typical light side versus dark side story is not subverting expectations. He was relatively unknown when starting ASOIAF, so he wouldn't have banked on people knowing his sensibilities. Also, a good versus evil story is what most people expect, so he wouldn't be subverting anything. Also also, GRRM doesn't believe in purely good or purely bad beings, he doesn't believe that war or religion will save humanity and he doesn't agree with genocide, so he wouldn't put something so un-GRRM in his magnum opus, he would try to hold true to his beliefs. This is nonesense.

6 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Maybe the Others don't see it as annihilation, but as a better way of existing. Maybe their offer is eternal life, but as pure spirit able to skinchange or make an ice body at will - it would be the perfection of what the Undying try to do, and what the greenseers do. Dreamers on spikes would sum it up.

This would get round the Others being evil, because at least some humans would choose this if offered - no mess, only magic. No wars, suffering, deaths, births, love, hatred, anything.

It's sort of hinted that eternal life is the big sell, because on Dany's side, Benerro offered something similar, via re-birth:

"[...] She is Azor Ahai returned... and her triumph over darkness will bring a summer that will never end... death itself will bend the knee, and all those who die fighting in her cause shall be reborn..."

Not so very far apart, really.

GRRM has written about something similar, the Grishka and Shkeen in A Song For Lya, they mean no harm, they just think death is better than life, and (in that context) are possibly right.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:47 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I pulled up an old topic from long ago.  I thought it worth the effort to widen the scope of this discussion. 

We started off talking about the "ghosts" in the hallway and their swords.  I want to bring in additional materials that may help in the discussion, for those who would care to talk about this old topic.

From Pate:

There are at least four of these "candles."  Valyria is the accepted origin.

From Armen:

Why would a candle have sharp edges?  Only weapons have sharp edges.  Knowledge can be dangerous but not as dangerous as ignorance.  I don't agree with this part of Armen's opinion.

From Leo:

The source of light is obviously not a flame. 

From Armen:

No it does not.  Marwyn thinks it's obsidian though. 

From Samwell:

So what kind of light makes whites look like that?  Something that has ultra-violet.  The perfect light to use against creatures who live at night.  They burn instead of getting a sun tan. 

From Will:

So once again, we have swords that glow in the dark.  This one gives off blue light. 

From Ned:

Arthur's sword glows in the dark?  It is described as glass-like.

From Daenerys:

We assumed in the first discussion that these men were not the Targaryen kings of Westeros.  The Targaryens do not name themselves or their reign in terms of gem stones.  These men were older, from a long time ago.  These men were Azor Ahai of his time.  Their clothes were ragged because they were living through the long night.  So why is Daenerys important to them?  I believe it is because she is Azor Ahai for this time.  She is the one who can "wake the dragon."  The dragon represents fire and light. 

From Quaithe:

It is my opinion that the death of Khal Drogo lit the candles.  Khal Drogo is Nissa Nissa. 

So it is believed the Blood Betrayal caused the Long Night.  I'm doubtful, but let's continue.  It is obvious to me, Maiden-Made-of-Light is the Sun.  Lion of Night is the Moon.

From Old Nan:

This looks like a climate change to me.  Change the environment and it favors another species.  The definition of who is fittest can change.  Darkness and cold favor the white walkers.

This is clear evidence.  The threat existed long before the blood betrayal took place.  Why else would the effort to build and guard these fortresses be sensible.  The size of the defense is equal to the seriousness of the threat.  The blood betrayal did not create the threat.

The "ghosts" must have failed.  They are hailed as heroes in the records but I think the climate changed on its own.  The long night ended but the empire remained broken.  I believe this is important, but more on this later.  Parts of the old ruling families still exists and rule fractions of what was the old empire. 

Amethyst is a purple-blue color.  This guy, Bu Gai, must have descended from the Amethyst Empress (family) of old. 

From George Martin: (not an exact quote)

From Quaithe:

From Daenerys and Quaithe:

No people in their right mind would build with this stone in a place like this.  Unless it wasn't like this when it was built.  Asshai must have been normal in the past.  Something happened to corrupt the very stone of the city itself and contaminate the land around it.  Perhaps this is the after effects of the long night.

I know.  Whew that was long.  But I hope you will agree with me.  It is important for Daenerys Targaryen to learn this truth to avoid a repeat of what happened in this part of the world.  The Amethyst Empress was not an individual but a political faction and family branch.  The Red was also a political faction.  Much like the Tigers and the Elephants in the free cities today.  The blood betrayal caused a political and social divide.  The empire could no longer properly defend its borders because they were divided.  Daenerys assumed Asshai but Quaithe probably meant Yin.  Lightbringer's role is to restore and to rebuild after the end of the long night.  It is easier to accept Lightbringer being glass lanterns to light the world through the long night.  It may even be a weapon because it is sharp.  At least some enable communication.  I don't rule out that there is an actual sword called Lightbringer but an object with multiple uses, weapon, lantern, and telephone, is much more useful.  The Valyrians perhaps didn't know what it was and repurposed the glass objects into communication devices.  The phrase "to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow" mean the long night cannot be stopped nor avoided.  Daenerys will have to live through the darkness before she can again enjoy light and warmth.  Which is fitting because the last title will be A Dream of Spring.  Knowing this truth will help her prepare herself and her people to live through the long night and rebuild afterwards.  The last part is something the previous Azor Ahai was never able to do.

I do agree.  Daenerys is Azor Ahai.  The Great Empire of the Dawn included Asshai and Yi Ti.  Everything is bigger in scale in Essos.  The Five Forts are the northern border of this empire.