Stayin' Alive - Covid-19 #10

Fragile Bird

Among random observations here, in this time of c19, browsing through the NYPL Overdrive audio biography and autobiography offerings: there are very many books about that sleaze, Sarah Palin.  Not a one is checked out. They are all available and undesired by anyone.  Just like she is.  :P

Last night, for the first time in our nabe of nearly 100% white people, there was the evening clap and bang on pans for the heroes of c19.

It's really starting to look like Italy and Spain are passing the peak of their outbreaks, which is good. On the downside it's hard to say that with any confidence about the likes of the US, UK and France.

From what I can see, the French line is shallower than it was, though a way of flat.

UK and US are still steaming ahead in a pretty straight line (on a log scale).

UK are about to enter our 3rd week of "stay at home" despite many, many selfish arseholes, and a pretty generous "oh, you can still work" allowance. We should start to see the results of the current "strategy" as this coming week develops. Then we'll be needing to tighten things - fewer jobs allowed, and thanks to the selfish arseholes, no outside time for anyone.

Is still has some states in complete denial, and an incompetent buffoon setting central strategy - New York lockdown should just starting to show up on the graphs, but that's opposed to many other areas about to hit some serious numbers.

My family and I have been conforming to the guidance, but even in rural Berkshire, the number of people who walk along the middle of the footpath, side by side, when we have moved, single file, to the other side, is fucking incredible. We cough.

PS The local teenagers had a series of connecting BBQs along the river today. I despair.

Ack, well,. I'm regarded as a 'key worker' and as I work nights, it's a real bugger trying to get to the supermarket before the locusts have stripped it bare. Yeah, that's true, I now regard my neighbours as locusts. By now they should be throwing into the trash all the bread, milk and eggs I couldn't buy because the selfish fuckers got there first.

This ain't the Blitz generation.

As for lockdown, well, there's never a bad time to start another re-read of ASoIaF for those days I'm not working but can't go anywhere....

1 minute ago, Hereward said:

I'm not altogether sure what to do about it. Phoning the police seems excessive, but it's only going to get worse as it gets warmer.

Just remind them it ain't just boomers it's killing, 13, 12 and now even 5 yos are going down. The hubris of youth has never known any bounds, but it's time they learnt.

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

From what I can see, the French line is shallower than it was, though a way of flat.

UK and US are still steaming ahead in a pretty straight line (on a log scale).

UK are about to enter our 3rd week of "stay at home" despite many, many selfish arseholes, and a pretty generous "oh, you can still work" allowance. We should start to see the results of the current "strategy" as this coming week develops. Then we'll be needing to tighten things - fewer jobs allowed, and thanks to the selfish arseholes, no outside time for anyone.

Is still has some states in complete denial, and an incompetent buffoon setting central strategy - New York lockdown should just starting to show up on the graphs, but that's opposed to many other areas about to hit some serious numbers.

Looks like some parts of NY are seeing a slight slowdown, at least by whatever metric this visual is using:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/new-york-coronavirus-cases.amp.html

10 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

Just remind them it ain't just boomers it's killing, 13, 12 and now even 5 yos are going down. The hubris of youth has never known any bounds, but it's time they learnt.

Yeah, not sure that would work, Our summer schedule includes cleaning up their massive shit every evening, Generally we need five massive bin bags. My favourite evening was when they'd laid waste to a 50 yard section of the riverbank, but one of them had left their car keys behind, In the river,

4 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I find this completely unnecessary under normal circumstances

No kidding - anyone who can find an excuse for using a leaf-blower even in the best of times needs a good whupping and a lesson in the art of broom-fu. In current times I think you've a good case for self-defence if that piece in your icon bears any relation to reality....

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

New York lockdown

There is no NY lockdown.  Go to Washington Square Park today -- and it's like any other spring Sunday.  And nobody wearing masks and gloves or observing the Distancing protocols.  This is why we can't even go for a walk around here anywhere, even at 6 AM.

I wasn't at WSP myself -- this is what someone else who was driving by saw and reported.  In the times before, I was in WSP nearly every day. Frequently more often.

10 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yeah, lotta tweets about that now, though not a ton of information besides this statement by the WCS, which runs the Bronx Zoo: https://newsroom.wcs.org/News-Releases/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/14010/A-Tiger-at-Bronx-Zoo-Tests-Positive-for-COVID-19-The-Tiger-and-the-Zoos-Other-Cats-Are-Doing-Well-at-This-Time.aspx.

But, uh, holy fuck.

Gotta find out how many other animals can catch it and which ones can pass it back to humans? Also, how bad do the symptom get in them?

And lastly, if this virus can spread this easily cross-species, how did we never encounter it until this past December?

My partner and I live together, and have for years, in a very small space.  Yet we've figured out how to do totally effective workouts here -- both of us.  Not at the same time -- we have to switch locations, breaking down all the electronic gear and equipment, moving it from place to another. But what the hell.  We're not going anywhere, and except for teaching now, there's no deadline to meet.

So people who say they can't exercise indoors -- eff 'em.  And it keeps us sane.

Nor are we gaining weight.  In fact, we are losing a bit by bit.  We eat the way we always have at home, which is very nutritionally, and damned tasty too.  What we aren't doing is consuming the cases of wine, etc. laid in.  At least so far!

We would like to go out though . . . .

But we've got it so easy compared to so I am assuming most people, especially most people who are also living in spaces that are too small -- both adults, well adjusted to each other, large social networks, and no kids.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So people who say they can't exercise indoors -- eff 'em.  And it keeps us sane.

There's a lot to be said for keeping sane - hang in there! For myself, I can't do exercise for its own sake. I'll happily go to work, lift tons and walk twenty miles in a shift, but no way can I do that for no purpose other than for exercise. But if you can, I ain't gonna knock it. Stay safe folks.

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

There is no NY lockdown.  Go to Washington Square Park today -- and it's like any other spring Sunday.  And nobody wearing masks and gloves or observing the Distancing protocols.  This is why we can't even go for a walk around here anywhere, even at 6 AM.

I wasn't at WSP myself -- this is what someone else who was driving by saw and reported.  In the times before, I was in WSP nearly every day. Frequently more often.

My apologies, I though NY was under "stay at home" orders

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Here in Toronto they had to start writing $880 tickets for people not following the rules. They also recalled 200 by-law officers to go out and write those tickets.

Sounds like someone has some unclean BIRDS! in her nest! 

Archived