Stayin' Alive - Covid-19 #10

Fragile Bird

16 minutes ago, Fez said:

Gotta find out how many other animals can catch it and which ones can pass it back to humans? Also, how bad do the symptom get in them?

We already knew cats could get Covid 19 so it's probably not a huge surprise tigers can too. How close was this zookeeper getting to a tiger to infect it though?

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

It's a beautiful sunny day and there are a lot of people out there. Mind you, people do seem to be keeping their distance.

Best they do so if they don't want to catch your whip. 

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

I'm not altogether sure what to do about it. Phoning the police seems excessive, but it's only going to get worse as it gets warmer.

One of our neighbours (in Luxembourg) called the police on one of our other neighbours this afternoon, having spotted him having a supposedly illegal gathering of two people on his balcony. First he shouted at him (in English) for five minutes across the street, using such classic lines as “you ought to be ashamed.”

The police turned up, had a little chat to him from the road, and drove off. And he continued to sit chatting to his friend until the sun went down. So make what you will of that.

I felt pretty defensive of him, even though it technically was a violation. Firstly, cause it didn’t seem like a big deal and secondly cause the other guy can’t even be bothered to learn the language before having a go.

17 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

no way can I do that for no purpose other than for exercise.

Again, I'm so much more fortunate than most people -- I love exercising.  I've done it all my life, once I left the farm, where we just worked, hard physical labor, you know?  But I love dance and dancing, and that's where it began.  I'm a lousy, awful dancer, no sense of rhythm, no sense of direction, clumsy as hell -- but I took loads of dance classes anyway and suffered the humiliation of always being by far the worst person in the class, but oddly, I didn't care, I enjoyed it so much.

Then the damaged spine -- well this is what has kept me walking and upright.  So I urge my partner, who has to fight weight, to not forget to eat, and I'm urged to exercise.  Like I said, I'm so frackin' lucky.

~~~~~~~~~~

But you all, what I want to know is how de Blasio (NYC's mayor) got the reputation for being a smart guy?  He's handled this so very very very badly.  Everything smart and necessary that's happened here is because of the governor, not him.  And then it turns out that de Blasio, like the gov of Georgia, until a couple days ago was unaware that asymptomatic people spread the virus.  How in the world is that even possible!

34 minutes ago, Fez said:

Gotta find out how many other animals can catch it and which ones can pass it back to humans? Also, how bad do the symptom get in them?

And lastly, if this virus can spread this easily cross-species, how did we never encounter it until this past December?

Viruses cross species all the time. On a cellular level we're not too dissimiliar. Got all the same key proteins, just slight variations (homologues) of. And we have encountered it, many many times before, corona virus is not a new thing - it's one of the causes of the common cold. But this particular varient has acquired some mutations which make it particularly nasty.

We actually rely on the ability of bugs to infect animals for drug development. Find a good animal model that the disease can be induced in. Usually a rabbit, mouse, ferret or something which can be easily bred and contained, and then see how effective treatments are. Though these days we're getting better / more technical with this stuff. I believe the animal model commonly being used for sars-cov-2 is a transgenic mouse (ie. genetically modified) expressing the human ACE2 receptor.

33 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

My apologies, I though NY was under "stay at home" orders

O we're supposed to stay home but it's entirely voluntary.  But if we go out we're to wear masks and gloves.  But that seems voluntary too.  We're supposed to keep distance, but nobody is.  These only happened about two weeks ago. There are no fines, cops do nothing.  OTOH, the police force is about 17% sick.

Except people like us who have been self-isolated for a month already, few people are really bothering.  The shops and restaurants and non-essential businesses are shut down though, and that's enforced.

~~~~~~~

Went to the NY Daily News for the first time today -- and he's that Bronx Zoo tiger with c19.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-bronx-zoo-tiger-tests-positive-20200405-klkhvxxyyfhyln7rswjf5dbckq-story.html

BTW, the second wave of the Bubonic Plague in the 14th C killed domestic animals, and they say, the wild ones too.  I have been looking but haven't found any accounts of either, at least in the places I've been searching.  I may be searching the wrong publications though.  I'm not a medievalist.

But still, the literature and history of the Black Death is its own historical research area.

Watching the doctors answering questions on these 'ask the doctor' segments everyone seems to have now, I guess there are three things to understand.

The virus will get up the nose of some people, but not descend into the lungs. These people are likely the super spreaders, expelling the virus with sneezes and breathes. They also might show no symptoms.

The virus will descend into the lungs of a smaller number of people, with a symptom range of 'tickling lungs' to badly irritated lungs that will mean assistance is required to breathe.

One of the reasons some people will die is because their bodies apparently don't manufacture antibodies to fight the virus, or seem to produce an ineffective antibody. 

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

O we're supposed to stay home but it's entirely voluntary.  But if we go out we're to wear masks and gloves.  But that seems voluntary too.  We're supposed to keep distance, but nobody is.  These only happened about two weeks ago. There are no fines, cops do nothing.  OTOH, the police force is about 17% sick.

Except people like us who have been self-isolated for a month already, few people are really bothering.  The shops and restaurants and non-essential businesses are shut down though, and that's enforced.

Yeah, that's broadly the same as us. We've had it a bit more forcefully put, and the police can fine us £60 and ask nicely that we go home. But still reliant on us being good boys and girls.

My point is, current measures are 2 weeks old, and it takes 2 weeks from instituting a measure, and seeing the first results of it, 3 weeks to know that it's a new trend, not a random fluctuation.

7 minutes ago, john said:

the other guy can’t even be bothered to learn the language before having a go

Sounds English to me (and I'm English myself....)

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Again, I'm so much more fortunate than most people -- I love exercising.  I've done it all my life, once I left the farm, where we just worked, hard physical labor, you know?  But I love dance and dancing, and that's where it began.  I'm a lousy, awful dancer, no sense of rhythm, no sense of direction, clumsy as hell -- but I took loads of dance classes anyway and suffered the humiliation of always being by far the worst person in the class, but oddly, I didn't care, I enjoyed it so much.

Then the damaged spine -- well this is what has kept me walking and upright.  So I urge my partner, who has to fight weight, to not forget to eat, and I'm urged to exercise.  Like I said, I'm so frackin' lucky.

I hear you - dance I can do, that's an end in itself :D I could say I'm a meringue legend, but you'd be right to laugh ...

As for the spine, if I'd hung around this end of the forum more, I'd already know about that, so I can see you'd have to take exercise more seriously than I do for now. I'm glad you're counting your blessings. For my part I came from the easy desk-based soft life into hard physical work (some people would call that downward social mobility, but I see it as getting real ;), and there are other dimensions....) I won't even talk about weight, that's something else prodding me to exercise beyond work....

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Watching the doctors answering questions on these 'ask the doctor' segments everyone seems to have now, I guess there are three things to understand.

The virus will get up the nose of some people, but not descend into the lungs. These people are likely the super spreaders, expelling the virus with sneezes and breathes. They also might show no symptoms.

The virus will descend into the lungs of a smaller number of people, with a symptom range of 'tickling lungs' to badly irritated lungs that will mean assistance is required to breathe.

One of the reasons some people will die is because their bodies apparently don't manufacture antibodies to fight the virus, or seem to produce an ineffective antibody. 

This is interesting. There was a study suggesting that people with A blood types are more susceptible to coronavirus; I wonder if there is some correlation between that and severity of symptoms (not the blood type itself, but some kind of factor more prevalent in type O blood that has the benefit of providing protection from the coronavirus).

2 minutes ago, john said:

It was English. He wasn’t in England though. Bit fucking cheeky, I thought.

I thought so too, My fellow countrymen embarrass me. Wherever I go, I at least learn enough of the local language to order beer and apologize should I stand on someone's foot....

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

My apologies, I though NY was under "stay at home" orders

NY State is under a lockdown/stay at home/quarantine - it's just you're allowed out to exercise, go to the grocery store, doctor, pharmacy.  Other than that you're supposed to stay at home.  Some people may not be taking it seriously, and it's not like there are many mechanisms to enforce it, but we are under a lockdown, even if that's not the exact wording. 

1 hour ago, Rufus Snow said:

I hear you - dance I can do, that's an end in itself ... As for the spine, if I'd hung around this end of the forum more, I'd already know about that....

You're a merengue head!  Yay you!

As for the second, nah -- I don't think I mentioned it before.  We tend not to share a whole of personal stuff here -- until, recently, due the circumstances. We're not as concerned about privacy at the moment as we were 6 weeks ago (though I was taking this seriously even before that and trying to prepare.  But in so many ways I got prep wrong. Though I did get a lot right, it really didn't occur to me, which it should have, that They would go out of their way to use this to kill a whole buncha voters.

From previous reports, animal transmission is very rare and has not resulted in any symptomatic cases. Its unknown how contagious they have been, but most suspect it is contagious for a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You're a merengue head!  Yay you!

Heh, you find yourself in a Sao Paolo club with some hot cool chicas, what you gonna do :D

As for the other stuff, yeah, I've been kinda concerned about the resilience of our world ever since I first heard the phrase 'peak oil', and since then I've always had one eye on how far we could all fall if it goes tits up... I'd started to relax a bit, but that was not the best thing in hindsight. I think this year is going to be more of a dislocation than 2008 turned out to be...

Everybody was shocked at that report in the last thread that a couple of French doctors suggested that vaccine trials start in Africa, the way AIDs vaccine trials were done on prostitutes. That was in the last thread, wasn't it? Or did I see that on Facebook?

In any event, Trump is just on this crazy "what have you got to lose" kick on using hydroxychloroquine. 29 M doses have been ordered, and guess what, 3,000 patients in Detroit on going to be started on a study.

Why go to Africa when you have Detroit?

eta: oh yeah, and he keeps suggesting that doctors and nurses should take it every day before going to work.

Archived