Stayin' Alive - Covid-19 #10

Fragile Bird

5 hours ago, Fez said:

2) I remain a bit surprised we haven't been exposed to this virus until now.

This subtype of corona virus may not have existed until late last year. It looks like a sars virus which has genetic changes acquired by mutation / crossover event, from the sounds of things driven by adaption to a pangolin host and then humans. 

This kind species jumping and evolution while rare in % terms, occurs somewhat frequently because we're dealing with numbers in the trillions of trillions. Outside of people who study viral genomics, we just don't notice because most viruses don't cause global pandemics.

During this crisis in Brazil, one of the few silver linings is the work of the Health Minister, Luiz Henrique Mandetta, who, while a career politician, has been behaving pretty much entirely technically, reasonably, and in line with the recommendations of the greatest experts in the world. 

So, naturally, according to multiple reports in the press, Bolsonaro is ready to fire him because he's jealous of Mandetta's increasing popularity and the fact he's not recommending ending isolation now or at least soon,  It's also not the first time he comes close to fire a cabinet minister that gets too popular, though he never pulled the plug yet  (ironically, some people that knew her also said that Dilma Rousseff was afraid of working with very intelligent people that stole her spotlight, and you saw how things ended up for her).

If he goes on with it, this might be the thing that provokes Bolsonaro downfall, since polls not only indicate Mandetta is now very popular with everyone, including his base of support, he's from the same party of the president of the Senate (who had COVID-19 himself) and the speaker of the House,  and has a first cousin who's a Senator who currently is chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. 

I just read some reports about how HCQ + metformin is poorly tolerated in rats (non-COVID), resulting in a 30% mortality rate. Not sure if this can be extrapolated to humans, but it sure is a red flag to me. Metformin is a very common diabetic drug (that I take), so by no means will I try that the snake oil being peddled if I were ever to end up in ICU. 

Diabetics in China had 9% mortality rate, same as 65 year olds; this removes a sizable chunk of people for whom HCQ could be tried on, I think. A pity, since diabetics are one of the immunocompromised groups that treatments should be targeting.

Sweden immediately stopped usage of hydroxycholoroquine because of negative side effects that were worse than whatever benefit it was giving (my guess is they saw very little, since the effects seem to disappear in vivo).

2 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Damn, the number of deaths in France has reached almost 9000 (no joke intended). I would have sworn it was around 7,500 yesterday, and there have only been +605 deaths today.
What this means is that lots of people are dying in retirement homes (or at home). It'll take some time to know just how many exactly.

And on a more personal note, my symptoms are back, the virus isn't done with me just yet. Nothing worrying, but this disease is quite tenacious.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Yet I laughed anyways.

(Sorry. Gallows Humor. I know there's a thread for that.)

It just dawned on me, despite taking four years of French, I never once watched DBZ in it.

3 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Why would you even think of doing such a thing? The French version is terrible.

Try being a native English speaker and showing someone Anchorman in Spanish. The film simply doesn't work in another language. 

Spain seems to be reaping the rewards of a (relatively) early national lockdown. While the stats are still horrific, the new cases and fatalities data is trending downwards at a slightly earlier stage than, say, Italy, 

Japan is worth watching this week. 

My mind still can't get around the idea of how fast the virus has raged across the USA, and how many are infected. And how many deaths there are.

I just looked at New Jersey, with over 41k cases and a 1,000 deaths, 113 per million. New Jersey has 9 M people. Canada has 37 M people, 16.5k cases and 322 deaths. Ok, we're spread out. The greater Toronto area has 6 M people and about 2,200 cases. The province's death rate is about 9 per million, same as the country.

I guess I do understand it, the US federal government pretended it wasn't in the US and we said we knew it was here, but it's still hard to look at the numbers.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My mind still can't get around the idea of how fast the virus has raged across the USA, and how many are infected. And how many deaths there are.

The hell you talking about?

There is no virus in the USA.

It's a Democratic hoax to make sure President Trump doesn't get reelected.

We went from 15 cases down to 0 in no time flat.

We'll be open by Easter!

;)

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just looked at New Jersey, with over 41k cases and a 1,000 deaths, 113 per million. New Jersey has 9 M people. Canada has 37 M people, 16.5k cases and 322 deaths. Ok, we're spread out. The greater Toronto area has 6 M people and about 2,200 cases. The province's death rate is about 9 per million, same as the country.

I guess I do understand it, the US federal government pretended it wasn't in the US and we said we knew it was here, but it's still hard to look at the numbers.

It's a lot of things. It's the federal government denying it was an issue and doing nothing about it until far too late, it was individual states having to have wildly disparate plans and some of them doing things far  too late, it was a crazy lack of testing and  test planning, it was bad coordination, and it was an entire wing of the US political system telling everyone that it was a hoax and that everyone should hold hands and participate in their daily bukkake rituals like it was all normal. 

Or in other words - when your government is less interested in facts and more interested in how things are perceived, you get disaster every time. This isn't a surprise now, and it looks a whole lot like what happened with Chernobyl. 

Many more people clapping and cheering and banging pans tonight than before in our nabe.  But I don't want us to clap for the grocery workers and health workers.  I want to them to have protective gear, decent pay and rest.

The grocery workers are now getting sick, like the EMS, the doctors, the cops, the firefighters, etc.  The groceries are saying they are fearing they can't stay open much longer.

Archived