Us Politics: my creepy grandpa can beat up your creepy grandpa

Larry of the Lawn

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Hopefully the beginning of a new nation-state.

Would be smart for Washington and Oregon.  California on its own is like the 5th or 6th biggest world economy.  At the Seattle port and business presence to that and it's even more solid.  Include the ag in all three states but especially Eastern Washington and California's Central Valley.  And if this happened some of the remaining Trump people would flee to Idaho or wherever.  

All Hail Lord Newsom.  

Or maybe it'd be King Newsom and Lord Inslee and Lady Brown or something.  

It's interesting that you mention this. I've often wondered how the US would eventually transition to something else and my best guess is that these sorts of agreements between states might be the start of something in that direction.

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I haven’t had an opportunity.  

His thesis was basically he can do whatever he wants, and he wants to quickly open up as much as possible as fast as possible. Obviously that won't happen, but sadly he holds the conch....

42 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

His thesis was basically he can do whatever he wants, and he wants to quickly open up as much as possible as fast as possible. Obviously that won't happen, but sadly he holds the conch....

A reporter kept asking him how he had the power to order states back to work, under what law, and at first he said it was because he basically has ultimate power, and then he said they would provide a paper explaining the law, and when she asked who told him that, he just said "Enough" and cut her off.

eta "When somebody is president of the United States, the authority is total"

39 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, the GOP's current gambit to depress turnout as much as possible may well backfire.  I don't think they realize how many of their own voters they're also suppressing doing shit like they did in Wisconsin - not to mention the fact their resolute belief this tack will help them electorally is based on almost literally no data (I suppose now we have Wisconsin).

In fact, there is (limited) evidence that voter suppression of black voters has the opposite effect when such efforts are well publicized.  IMO, it would seem that if you can quietly have the secretary of state throw tens of thousands of people off the voter rolls, that's a win*, but if you are too obvious about it, there's a backlash. 

* you can even win the presidency this way. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Talking about making differences at the state and local level, here's a good example: Virginia is absolutely kicking ass in their first united session.

Thought I saw something about pot legalization of some sort today also...

12 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

A reporter kept asking him how he had the power to order states back to work, under what law, and at first he said it was because he basically has ultimate power, and then he said they would provide a paper explaining the law, and when she asked who told him that, he just said "Enough" and cut her off.

I think she was just making things up, like the people lying about masks and ventilators. I'm outing you, BIRD! You're part of a Canadian syndicate!!! You just want the tensions to grow!!!

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think she was just making things up, like the people lying about masks and ventilators. I'm outing you, BIRD! You're part of a Canadian syndicate!!! You just want the tensions to grow, syrup sucker!!!!!

See, in Canada reporters kept asking the Minister of Health why she couldn't force the provinces to do certain things, even though they know damn well health is the constitutional responsibility of the provinces. We have these damn conferences every few years with all the provinces and the federal government, where the provinces demand more money from the feds to run health care. Her response was they talk to each other and come to consensus decisions, the 'Team Canada' approach, because in the middle of a crisis the last thing you want to do is get everybody pissed off with each other.

So, nope, no tension!

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

See, in Canada reporters kept asking the Minister of Health why she couldn't force the provinces to do certain things, even though they know damn well health is the constitutional responsibility of the provinces. We have these damn conferences every few years with all the provinces and the federal government, where the provinces demand more money from the feds to run health care. Her response was they talk to each other and come to consensus decisions, the 'Team Canada' approach, because in the middle of a crisis the last thing you want to do is get everybody pissed off with each other.

So, nope, no tension!

I think you're trying to strike in Michigan. 

Don't kill too many Baldwins, by the way.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Also, despite the Wisconsin court fucking them over, it looks like a dem will be taking that chair. 

AHAHAHAHAHA. Fucking Republicans. So goddamn happy this blew up in their faces.

54 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

eta "When somebody is president of the United States, the authority is total"

“I AM the Senate!”

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

“I AM the Senate!”

My god. @Jace, Basilissa's sith apprentice has emerged, now after the former lord @Rockroi has fallen because his beloved Tohemy Watermelons has stop being a patriot and became a pirate.

Modern day tragedy, folks. Darth Helena is upon us.....

But what’s become clear in the final months of the campaign is that those underlying skills have served him well. No one would say Biden became the presumptive Democratic nominee because of his glittering speeches or razor-sharp debate performances. At crucial moments in the primary, he outmaneuvered his competitors through transactional, coalitional politics. He won them over rather than ran them over.

Most pivotally — and much to the frustration of Sanders — Biden cut deals with Sen. Amy Klobuchar and former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg that convinced them to drop out and endorse his campaign on the eve of Super Tuesday. Then, in a bid to win Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s endorsement, or at least stop her from endorsing Sanders, he conceded on the argument that has defined their relationship, adopting her bankruptcy reform bill as his own. And now, in an effort to win not just Sanders’s endorsement but his actual support, he’s building a novel structure through which Sanders’s ideas and staff can shape Biden’s campaign and agenda.

One concern liberals and leftists have long had with Biden is his instinct for cutting deals means he’ll sell them out to the right to win Republican votes. Maybe so. But what Biden is proving in this campaign is he’s just as willing to cut deals with the left, and his coalitional approach to politics is an opportunity for them to influence him, as well.

How Joe Biden won over Bernie Sanders — and the Democratic Party
Joe Biden and the power of transactional politics.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/13/21219715/bernie-sanders-joe-biden-endorsement-democratic-primary-2020

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Serbia, right? I can't speak to your country's politics, I sadly know next to nothing about them, and I say that as someone who is almost entirely Slavic on my father's side. But I am strangely optimistic about things here. Or who knows, Idiorcracy won? 

Your last point is noted, though. Quite valid.

Maybe in funner times, we can argue if this layoff stole more from Serena, Feds, Rafa or your boy Djoker. The formers are all just old. Your guy might just quit because he has better things to do. Of the four, he's the least single minded. 

Well, I want to be hopeful and I pray to God that this madness will eventually end. First in USA, and then as the saying goes, the rest will follow.

Also, one clarification. Even though I am Serbian, there is only one tennis player that is "my boy" - Federer.  :DA genius, through and through.

59 minutes ago, Risto said:

Well, I want to be hopeful and I pray to God that this madness will eventually end. First in USA, and then as the saying goes, the rest will follow.

Also, one clarification. Even though I am Serbian, there is only one tennis player that is "my boy" - Federer.  :DA genius, through and through.

Nadal kicks his ass though....

13 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah, the GOP's current gambit to depress turnout as much as possible may well backfire.  I don't think they realize how many of their own voters they're also suppressing doing shit like they did in Wisconsin - not to mention the fact their resolute belief this tack will help them electorally is based on almost literally no data (I suppose now we have Wisconsin).

What hurt the GOP probably was that GOP stronghold places like Ozaukee and Waukesha County had polling places reduced to only 1 so the voting lines were 2-3 hours like predominantly democratic Milwaukee county.  However liberal Madison (2nd largest city in Wisconsin) had no polling places reduction and the line was <15 min.  

counterintuitive for republicans to push for in-person voting when the highest risk groups by age voted for trump by decent margins in 2016? though if they really believe that generalized mail-in voting will be their glas, i suppose that they be trapped between scylla of no votes and charybdis of less votes.  i am not finding myself overcome by lachrymation.  

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

CNN is reporting Obama will announce his endorsement of Biden shortly.

Called it. Pretty obvious because they're boys. What will be interesting is to see how long Michelle waits to follow, or if they just do it together. Dr. Biden and Obama are by all reports really close, but there's obviously some #MeToo things to deal with. 

I got to meet Dr. Biden about eight years ago. Quite the silver fox. :leer:

Archived