Watch, Watched, Watching: Easter Edition

ithanos

I really should watch The Sopranos at some point.  It started when I was in college and my roommates and I got HBO for the first two seasons, but I never got back to it after that.  I really burnt myself out on Italian mob movies around that same time - and still feel burnt out 20 years later - which has made me reluctant to try it again.  The late 90's and early 00's setting isn't appealing to me either.  I know it's a good show, I just can't muster any desire to commit to watching it.

The talk of Kingdom of Heaven and Prince of Thieves does make me want to rewatch both of those.  With a SPOON!

9 hours ago, williamjm said:

No matter how many Robin Hood films get made Alan Rickman will always be the best Sheriff of Nottingham everyone else gets compare against.

Nah, that's Nickolas Grace! :fencing:

9 hours ago, williamjm said:

I did think about mentioning Prince of Thieves as well as something that's having more fun than the recent Robin Hood films and for all its absurdities is still ridiculous than the Taron Egerton film. No matter how many Robin Hood films get made Alan Rickman will always be the best Sheriff of Nottingham everyone else gets compare against.

The best Robin Hood is the Robin of Sherwood tv series from the mid 80’s. Prince of Thieves basically ripped it off, even down to having a saracen outlaw.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have been enjoying The Chamber of Secrets while cooking. I like it a lot more than the book, which is rare for the series. My roommate's GF agrees, but maybe she is just saying that because she likes my chicken fajitas. :P

I believe its at or near the bottom of most people’s list of favourite HP books so thats not an unsurprising opinion.

I’ve come to the conclusion that only the first and second film are any good anyway

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

The talk of Kingdom of Heaven and Prince of Thieves does make me want to rewatch both of those.  With a SPOON!

The conversation is definitely tempting me to rewatch Prince of Thieves and A Knight's Tale.

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The best Robin Hood is the Robin of Sherwood tv series from the mid 80’s. Prince of Thieves basically ripped it off, even down to having a saracen outlaw.

It's not a show I ever watched. I do remember hearing that the writer of Prince of Thieves said he saw the Saracen character in that TV series and assumed he was part of the traditional line-up. It does seem to have become common in adaptations now, the Taron Egerton Robin Hood had one as well.

I do remember watching the old ITV Robin Hood series on tv and loving it even as a kid. It was kinda ahead of its time in a lot of ways, seemed to take the idea kinda seriously and even added a strange mysticism to the story.

Until of course Sean Connerys son turned up.

34 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I do remember watching the old ITV Robin Hood series on tv and loving it even as a kid. It was kinda ahead of its time in a lot of ways, seemed to take the idea kinda seriously and even added a strange mysticism to the story.

Until of course Sean Connerys son turned up.

The Two-parter (Swords of Wayland) with Lucifer being summoned had some breathtaking sunset scenes on a Cornwall beach.

And The Greatest Enemy is one of the best TV episodes of any series ever. Robin’s last stand, again against a sunset. Some balls, to kill off Robin Hood. Oroginally they toyed with replacing the actor with Neil Morrisey (as Praed got a job in america in Dynesty or sonethibg). That became Connery when they decided to kill off Robin.

19 hours ago, Mexal said:

A Knight's Tale is one of my most watched movies ever. Has everything I like in a re-watchable movie (charismatic lead, love story, funny sidekicks, detestable villain, underdog story, and an appropriate ending for an underdog story). So good.

I get hype everY time Purefoy makes his speech at the end

Watched the four episode UNORTHODOX miniseries on Netflix yesterday and damn, what an engaging and emotional roller coaster. The lead actress had a supporting role on a similar show about orthodox Jews in Israel, also found on Netflix, called Shtisel. (I tried to get into that one, but oi vey, not for me.)

Anyway, the acting by the Berlin cast of college friends is spotty, but everyone on the Satma Hasidic end of the story is excellent. The guy who plays Yanky gives one of the best understated performances I've seen in a long time. But the real star is the lead actress, Shira Haas. This girl has no ass. Why? Because she performed her ass off! Seriously, she has the stuff. Future Oscar winner stuff. 

I also dove deep into the woman whose memoir this is based on, Deborah Feldman. She has some great interviews out on YouTube and a truly fascinating life that wasn't completely touched on in the mini-series. I've a feeling this show, which I hope it continues, is going to be similar to Orange is the New Black in that it will use the memoir as a springboard into other stories and themes that the original memoir touched on, but didn't actually occur in real life.

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I believe its at or near the bottom of most people’s list of favourite HP books so thats not an unsurprising opinion.

I’ve come to the conclusion that only the first and second film are any good anyway

Most people I've spoken with mainly dislike the fifth book. Great ending, but most of it is shit. The second book, OTOH, is quite fun, even if much of it is rather stupid, but you could say that about the first one too. Really only the third and fourth books are actually good. 

Several of the movies are very delightful though, Helena Umbridge!

Just finished S3 Ep 9 of Ozark. Man was that good. Nuf said.

Spoiler

I really really thought when she was yelling at him and said to just run out in the road, that he was going to do just that. I am not sure which would be worse for her mentally, knowing he killed himself after she told him to or her doing what she did.

16 minutes ago, dbunting said:

And finished S3 of Ozark. Great season. There were some implausible spots of course but man did they stick the ending.

I dunno if this is a plot hole, or something that could come up down the line

How did the Lagunas(?) cartel know where the handoff they shot up was? Ruth changed the spot that day, which is why Frank Jr. is so suspicious of her. But since we know it wasn't Ruth, what the hell happened there? 

Plus if cartel violence on US soil results in that cartel getting crushed by the US and Mexican governments, why did they even do it? There must be plenty of Navarro's money to burn in Mexico.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Most people I've spoken with mainly dislike the fifth book. Great ending, but most of it is shit. The second book, OTOH, is quite fun, even if much of it is rather stupid, but you could say that about the first one too. Really only the third and fourth books are actually good. 

Several of the movies are very delightful though, Helena Umbridge!

I think SS and CoS are the only great films. I only enjoy the other movies because I love the books so much that I can't help but enjoy seeing that world on the big screen. I think Richard Harris was the better Dubledore as well. I always thought Gambon's energy was too much. Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire?!?!? :stunned: Goblet was my favorite book and remains so to this day.

You which one of those movies I disliked? The Half Blood Prince. I got to the part where Rickman is like "I am the half blood prince!" all dramatic and I still had no idea what that meant. I had to read the wikipedia article for the book to figure it out. 

21 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I think SS and CoS are the only great films. I only enjoy the other movies because I love the books so much that I can't help but enjoy seeing that world on the big screen. I think Richard Harris was the better Dubledore as well. I always thought Gambon's energy was too much. Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire?!?!? :stunned: Goblet was my favorite book and remains so to this day.

Lions were born in fire. Fuck the dragons.

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Surely Prisoner of Azkaban is the only good Harry Potter movie. I thought that was an established fact by now.

You can pass go and head straight to hell.  

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Surely Prisoner of Azkaban is the only good Harry Potter movie. I thought that was an established fact by now.

Not for me. Cuaron's vision of Hogwarts and changing the layout of the castle and grounds wasn't appealing to me. I watched the first two movies and played the first two video games way too much when they released, and the games were laid out similarly to the movies. Mentally I couldn't get past that for Prisoner. Bookwise it's my second favorite.

Archived