Watch, Watched, Watching: Easter Edition

ithanos

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Kidman’s face is surely computer generated? 

I wonder how far off we are from actors starting to insist on being CGI de-aged for their vanity's sake. 

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

What people don't realize is that Clint Eastwood has been using extensive CG de-aging since Gran Torino.

The real reason the baby in American Sniper looks so fake is that it's actually Eastwood.

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I just rewatched Contact. It aged rather well imo. Took me some time to find a streaming service that had it in the OV though. 

Now I want to read a good first contact SF book but I have already read most of the good ones I belive. 

Off topic but what are the good ones? 

4 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Off topic but what are the good ones? 

Well it is just my personal taste of course. I'm forgetting many I do not have on my kindle. I really like contact novels and this is not really a "best" list but stuff I enjoyed. 

The Forge of God by Greg Bear

A Darkling Sea: James L. Cambias

Dawn: Octavia Butler

Blindsight: Peter Watts

Learning the World: Ken MacLeod

Pandora’s Star by Peter F. Hamilton

Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds(I guess many of his other books involve first contacts too) 

A series by the Russian Sergey Snegov that has never been translated into Englisch afaik called Mensch wie Götter in German (I could name a few Russian and German books that have never been translated into Englisch I guess) 

Stanisław Lem: Solaris, The Invincible, Fiasco, Eden, His Master's Voice

Semiosis: Sue Burke

The Mote in God’s Eye/Footfall: Jerry Pournelle/Larry Niven

A lot of early Larry Niven

The Killing Star : Charles R. Pellegrino/George Zebrowski

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu. 

I better stop now as you wrote it is off-topic.

45 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

My favorite is still the story that Arrival was based off of - stories of your live. Arrival is also excellent.

Yeah Ted Chiang is awesome. 

Back on topic I watch many of the SF movies that come out even the russian ones that show up on amazon which are often really bad. 

My main problem is often that quite a few of the better received smaller movies are only avaliable in the German dub around here unless you do VPN shenanigans.

The German and Austrian streaming providers are just useless if you want to watch OVs. Netflix is best when it comes to OVs but it has only a limited a selection in Austria(Even I Am Mother is not avaliable). Apple is surpriseingly good in that regard though and it was the only streaming provider that had the englisch audio of Contact. Amazon is complete garabge as it uploads multiple versions of every movie. I bought the German dub of Spider-Man: Homecoming recently by accident and they tried to refuse refunding at first(I had not even watched past the title sequence and they claimed I had watched more than an hour 15 minutes after I bought it). Edit: Google only has German versions avaliable. I really dislike the region stuff and would love to live in a world without old style TV stations which buy licences which would hopefully put an end to that.

18 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

The German and Austrian streaming providers are just useless if you want to watch OVs. Netflix is best when it comes to OVs but it has only a limited a selection in Austria(Even I Am Mother is not avaliable).

Do they have The Wandering Earth, the Chinese SF film, and have you seen it? Been considering adding it to my queue.

26 minutes ago, Ran said:

Do they have The Wandering Earth, the Chinese SF film, and have you seen it? Been considering adding it to my queue.

I actually did not finish watching it which is something that does not happen often. It just did not really work for me. It has some things that are typical chinese movie tropes I guess like the humorless soldier or designated silly guy which I kinda enjoy in martial arts and action movies but did not work at all for me in this case

Last night I watched The Outsider.  Jared Leto joins the Yakuza.  It was  alright I guess.  There were some beautiful scenes visually speaking and the music was good at times.  The story was odd and the pacing was off.  There was a clear Refn influence to this film, which made it better than it might have been.  I rate it mediocre. 

27 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

When should one stop watching the Simpsons? Season 10 or 11?

Season 10 is really not great, almost all of the episodes are forgettable.. but it does contain Homer to the Max which is one of my absolute favourite episodes ever! It’s such a stand out in a not good season.

Cant think of a single episode of season 11 I’d recommend to anyone

As part of my historical show/film rewatch, I put Passion of the Christ on as background while ‘working’ from home on friday.

Too used to Jim Caviezel (Jesus) being Reese from Person of Interest; during the garden of Gethsemane scene, I was half-expecting Jesus to beat the shit out of the soldiers to the Reese-kicking-ass theme music..

Archived