Watch, Watched, Watching: Easter Edition

ithanos

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

ETA, also when trying to create the illusion of being at sea, don't show the boat right against the shoreline when it's distressed. 

How about trying to create the illusion of nighttime during the day? 

I love the movie. but it's basically about a conversation three dudes have on a boat the night before the shark defends itself. 

33 minutes ago, RumHam said:

How about trying to create the illusion of nighttime during the day? 

I love the movie. but it's basically about a conversation three dudes have on a boat the night before the shark defends itself. 

Really just two.

But Jaws is an all-time movie is better than the book nominee. I read it in HS and was like what the fuck is this.

So I just finished Sophie's Choice.

I'm really not sure if that was even a good movie, just an incredible individual performance.

It was nice just listening to it at times and realizing I can still hear some German and understand it. I did have to read the subtitles for the more complicated stuff, but it was mainly because they just talked too fast, which always fucks me up. Easier than figuring out Spanish from French, though, despite taking four levels of each in HS and then college. 

On 5/9/2020 at 4:40 AM, dbunting said:

Well, what the hell!

Eh your not the only one, I made that same exact wrong assumption in a thread about a year ago......and was quickly given that same correction lol.

That was a good episode, but most of them were.

Watched Invisible Man with Elizabeth Moss. Great reviews.

It was almost a very good movie. There is a lot to recommend about it. The way it handles the themes within the movie, of control and abuse, as well as the gaslighting in abusive relationships was actually very well done.

Also a clever direction when dealing with someone who is invisible, just panning to an empty corner and showing nothing, letting the imagination run wild is far more powerful than any jump scares.

However the movie didn’t really land it’s final third for me. Like a lot of horror movies it felt the need to escalate the jeopardy and drama to make it exciting, when I don’t think it needed to.

There was a point where I assumed the movie was going to end, on a dark note, which I think might have been superior if they’d been braver.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So I just finished Sophie's Choice.

I'm really not sure if that was even a good movie, just an incredible individual performance.

I loved Sophie's Choice.  Then again, I'm a sucker for claustrophobic character studies that should probably just be plays.  Can definitely understand why some people find it boring, or even contrived.

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

I loved Sophie's Choice.  Then again, I'm a sucker for claustrophobic character studies that should probably just be plays.  Can definitely understand why some people find it boring, or even contrived.

I really didn't find it boring at all. It just feels so uneven. Streep's acting was a master class, but Kline was so over the top and I think didn't do a great job of portraying a schizophrenic overall, though at times he did i GUESS. But the way they reveal that is pretty poorly done, IMO. MacNicol was fine, I guess, and I had to Google him and yes that is the guy from Ghostbusters 2. 

I didn't mean to imply that it's a bad film, far from it, but it's a great character story with an amazing actress surrounded by a bunch of slightly better than okay, if it's fair to describe it that way. It does have a wonderful set though.

It's interesting that you suggest it just being a play though. I thought A Streetcar Named Desire was so much better as one than the movie, but at the same time I would absolutely want to see 12 Angry Men on screen rather than on stage. The genre can be tricky to nail down. The Lighthouse, for example, could never once be replicated on stage. And I can't imagine seeing Rear Window on stage and find it to be anything as good as the movie, but then again I adore everyone involved in that film and few women could ever dare to be as beautiful as Grace Kelly. 

I finished the new season of Westworld. It was disastrously rubbish. Even season 2 was rather poor and boring, but this set of episodes. Very little happened, there wasn’t one character I was invested in and the plot was contradictory, nonsensical mess. 

I’ve also been rewatching Gilmore Girls, which is a nostalgic and sweet experience. 

and right now I’m feeling rather shit so I’ll probably put on Full House. 

3 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I finished the new season of Westworld. It was disastrously rubbish. Even season 2 was rather poor and boring, but this set of episodes. Very little happened, there wasn’t one character I was invested in and the plot was contradictory, nonsensical mess. 

I’ve also been rewatching Gilmore Girls, which is a nostalgic and sweet experience. 

and right now I’m feeling rather shit so I’ll probably put on Full House. 

I wouldn't call it rubbish, but I was perplexed at why this season got such better reviews, as I thought by all measures it was worse than season 2, which even thought it was needlessly muddled, still had much great stuff in it.  

15 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I wouldn't call it rubbish, but I was perplexed at why this season got such better reviews, as I thought by all measures it was worse than season 2, which even thought it was needlessly muddled, still had much great stuff in it.  

Ehh, each to their own. To me the entire plot seemed contrived and the story didn’t exactly make me feel the weight of this achievement, because there was hardly any struggle for anybody. The story felt slow at times when it should have progressed and it rushed past or skipped important character development instead of taking time to build it. The character cameos were haphazard and served no purpose other than fanservice. I just couldn’t find the hook. Or the hook couldn’t find me. But good for anybody who enjoyed it, at least it didn’t feel like wasted time for you :thumbsup: 

The newest Rick & Morty episode was again great. So much better than the first half of the season so far XD

On 5/9/2020 at 9:47 PM, RumHam said:

Maybe one of the streaming services will pick up the unproduced TV show.

But yeah probably not. 

Meh, even if they did, it isn't Gosling and Crowe :) 

On episode 5 of season 3 of The Handmaid's Tale.  I had apparently forgotten quite a bit of season 2, but I guess it has been about 2 years since I watched it.  The pace of this season is well beyond plodding.  But it's free right now on Comcast, so I'll finish it tomorrow.

Yesterday I watched Upload.  It was okay.  More Nora and less Nathan would have helped.  The drama in the last scene rang a little false too.  If it gets a second season, I'm sure I'll watch it though.

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

I’m 4 episodes into Normal People on Hulu and it’s fantastic. Feels so real in a lot of ways and I recognize a few of these situations from my own life. Highly recommended so far.

Everyone I speak to says its amazing, but also depressing. I dont need that in my life right now. 

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Everyone I speak to says its amazing, but also depressing. I dont need that in my life right now. 

I can see that. I'm only 5 episodes in so not really depressing yet but I can see how the push/pull of their relationship will lead to situations that can drive to that. You're rooting for their success so there will be challenges within that story. 

I know I said I was going to jump back into the Miyazaki rewatch, but then was reminded that Dead To Me had its 2nd season out, and saw Rick and Morty started releasing fresh episodes.

I am huge fan of Linda Cardellini, I am very fond Christina Applegate, I think James Marsden is charming and seems like a swell guy... but jeez, they need a better show than this. I liked the first season well enough, but this one just piled coincidence atop coincidence from end to end. There's a joke about how the city of Laguna Beach is said to be a small place when in fact it's a town of a few tens of thousands and that's noted... but rather than being a meta moment of awareness, it just ... wasn't?

Spoiler

"Oh, the hot Cuban chef is the ex of the cop who is laser-focused on us, and oh, this police chief we've never met before is actually a Greek Mafia connected guy and is a family friend of Steve's, and oh, hey, Steve's twin brother Ben [I don't mind this part, like I said, I like Marsden] goes on a bender and crashes into their car in broad daylight at the very close of the season -- !!!"

If there's a third season, I ... am torn. I really, really like Cardellini, and her breakdown/fight in the penultimate episode was wrenching, and I like the rest of the cast. But the writing stinks.

As to Rick and Morty, terrific meta episode about narrative construction and story. Rarely does one see a show this smart able to also revel in fart jokes and 

Spoiler

cum gutters.

54 minutes ago, Ran said:

I know I said I was going to jump back into the Miyazaki rewatch, but then was reminded that Dead To Me had its 2nd season out, and saw Rick and Morty started releasing fresh episodes.

I am huge fan of Linda Cardellini, I am very fond Christina Applegate, I think James Marsden is charming and seems like a swell guy... but jeez, they need a better show than this. I liked the first season well enough, but this one just piled coincidence atop coincidence from end to end. There's a joke about how the city of Laguna Beach is said to be a small place when in fact it's a town of a few tens of thousands and that's noted... but rather than being a meta moment of awareness, it just ... wasn't?

Hide contents

"Oh, the hot Cuban chef is the ex of the cop who is laser-focused on us, and oh, this police chief we've never met before is actually a Greek Mafia connected guy and is a family friend of Steve's, and oh, hey, twin brother Steve [I don't mind this part, like I said, I like Marsden] goes on a bender and crashes into their car in broad daylight at the very close of the season -- !!!"

If there's a third season, I ... am torn. I really, really like Cardellini, and her breakdown/fight in the penultimate episode was wrenching, and I like the rest of the cast. But the writing stinks.

As to Rick and Morty, terrific meta episode about narrative construction and story. Rarely does one see a show this smart able to also revel in fart jokes and 

Reveal hidden contents

cum gutters.

I have always enjoyed Rick and Morty but the last two episodes made me lol an insane amount.

Archived