Do You Have It? A Thread to Discuss Anxieties and Fears

Fragile Bird

I worry mainly about family and friends who work high risk jobs. Because of that the blatant disregard for the new rules I see every day at work and on my commute has turned my from an introvert into a misanthrope I believe.

I know most people follow the rules but the people I'm forced to encounter because I'm a key worker don't. I have been thinking about blocking all my work contacts and just staying at home(I have 6 months notice...). 

That nothing I hear from friends and family who work in the health care and law enforcement sectors supports the "we are doing well" goverment propaganda does not help either.

10 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I'm sorry for everyone's anxiety. I worry about this constantly too. 

That said, my understanding from talking with others who have had it and hearing their experiences is that it is not a particularly subtle thing as far as symptoms go. If you're symptomatic, it REALLY sucks. There really isn't any doubt. If you're asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic you're probably not having anything at all. 

There is a spectrum of presentations. I've got friends and colleagues who've had the 'feeling terrible for 10 days' version, similar to the fatigue seen in flu. I've also got friends who've had nothing but the loss of smell.

I had a mild chest infection - shortness of breath for about 9 days with back pain. I also felt rubbish (myalgia, headache etc) for the first two days. Plus I had the fear (as an asthmatic) that my shortness of breath would become severe late in the infection. So that was an added stress while I was unwell. 

I've had worse chest infections. But it still wasn't 'nothing'. 

Best wishes and optional digital hugs to everyone on this thread who's suffering through anxiety at the moment. 

I currently find myself in the same boat as @Liffguard. I'm a deeply anxious person by nature. I've spent the last decade worrying about my parents, with the intensity ramping up as my dad's health has got worse with spikes every time he's had to go into hospital for one reason or another. He is 82 years old and has a serious degenerative condition. My heroic mother cares for him in their home. 

In addition, I often find interacting with people to be quite a stressful experience. I had a bad time at secondary school, and occasionally suspect I might have some kind of mild autism, though at other times I just wonder if that's just a name I've given to the feeling of being out-of-step with various social norms. 

But now that everyone online and on the radio is talking about how afraid and worried they are, I feel somehow calmer. It reminds me of Lars von Trier's film Melancholia. For now, I feel almost free. 

I went out grocery shopping (wearing a mask and rubber gloves, sanitizing everything as I got home) on Thursday and carried about 15kgs of stuff home. As a result, I had the worst muscle sores yesterday. with the weird throat I have had for weeks (that’s due to allergies and I have had it for a couple years now seasonally), I immediately convinced myself it was the virus. Then again, I haven’t coughed for weeks and I don’t have a fever no matter how many times I take my temperature. And there’s also no chance that I’d develop symptoms in less than 24 hours even if I had contracted the virus, which is unlikely in itself. 
so it’s just paranoia, really. 

Oh, yeah.  Plenty of stress over here.  I thought I was handling it fairly well, but I find myself lashing out occasionally over silly things, which isn't like me at all.  

At various times I feel like I've been very lucky so far and haven't caught it, then at other times I think I have a very light case of it due to on and off symptoms that others mention in this thread.  Then I find myself thinking I'm on a long slippery slope of gradual descent.  Good times!

In our area, Southeast Michigan, there are scores of people who continue to bury their heads in the sand and continue on their merry way, doing what they usually do, which has contributed to being one of the "hot spots" for Covid-19.  

Oh, and the fact that Mr. Tears is awaiting test results from a bone marrow biopsy isn't helping my mood either.

OTOH, I haven't killed anyone yet (that I know of.)  

6 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Oh, yeah.  Plenty of stress over here.  I thought I was handling it fairly well, but I find myself lashing out occasionally over silly things, which isn't like me at all.  

At various times I feel like I've been very lucky so far and haven't caught it, then at other times I think I have a very light case of it due to on and off symptoms that others mention in this thread.  Then I find myself thinking I'm on a long slippery slope of gradual descent.  Good times!

In our area, Southeast Michigan, there are scores of people who continue to bury their heads in the sand and continue on their merry way, doing what they usually do, which has contributed to being one of the "hot spots" for Covid-19.  

Oh, and the fact that Mr. Tears is awaiting test results from a bone marrow biopsy isn't helping my mood either.

OTOH, I haven't killed anyone yet (that I know of.)  

Creepy internet hugs being sent your way!  :grouphug:

I've been watching the news out of Michigan. I guess you just can't cure stupid....

It's heart breaking to witness that the deeply stupid people in the world are the majority.  Which thinking also leads to tyrannic authoritarianism.  But wothehell.  At this point it no longer matters.  The tyranny of the deeply evil is here.

I don't know if I had it. Don't think so but a doctor told me by phone that I had a virus, probably not this but it could be. They could not test.

My symptoms were around 10-15 days of very low "fever" Temperature reaching up to 37.5°C (99.06°F) but normally  less, like 37.2°C (98.96°F). All those two weeks I was taking three paracetamols per day though, till one day I was again at 36.7°C (99.5°F) and I stopped taking paracetamol.

Then I also had fatigue, and lots of headache every day since day one and I could not work on anything becaue I felt tired and bad. But not as bad as staying in bed all day. Resting though.

It started the day that Spain decided to close universities and two days before the State of Alarm. 

Not sore throat (and it's not weird in me having sore throat) but then again I rarely catch anything that causes me fatigue or so many days and temperature, even if very low. I surely was anxious as well. 

I coughed but it was not "constant". 

It probably doesn’t help that this time of year much of the northern hemisphere is experiencing seasonal allergy season.  

Im fairly zen about it.  We’ve been doing social distancing for weeks.  Both of us are working from home.  I’m blasting shit with disinfectant if I think there is even a remote chance someone outside of my household has touched it recently. Aside from going to the store a couple times a week, where we are being as careful as we can be, I don’t know where we might pick it up at this point.  Not saying it can’t or won’t happen, but we’ve been doing everything we could reasonably be expected to do and if I do get it... well at least it won’t be because I was being a dumbass and not taking it seriously.

i would also like to second what someone said upthread.  I personally HIGHLY recommend not living and breathing Coronavirus coverage during this time.  I’ve cut way down on message boards and media consumption.  Most days I just check the news once in the morning and maybe once in the evening just so I’m not totally ignorant of any critical updates.  

But other than that, what is the point of working ourselves into a frenzy over it?  At this point in time, we all know it’s highly contagious, we all know the symptoms, we all know to try to stay inside as much as possible, what precautions to take when we do need to go out, and when to seek medical help.  Most of us really don’t need to be glued to the news 24/7.  The media lives for this kind of shit.  I think a reasonable person can comprehend the seriousness of the situation and adjust behavior accordingly without subjecting themselves to an assault of dire news alerts all day.

i agree that too much news and other media, like the threads in genchat, make the stress worse...i suggest you all come to the games forum for some lighthearted competition trying to beat @Fragile Bird and me in a spirited game of acrophobia which is just getting started...or come grab a bonus chain in a game of pictionary where i might draw harry potter naked having dinner with a man who looks suspiciously like old George himself with aliens flying overhead...

as for the wretched virus...like most i am stuck at home since i am old and have the abused body to prove it...luckily home is a house and not an apartment so i got that going for me...sinuses are active due to pollen counts of 12 and of course chain smoking cigs and weed has increased the likelihood of coughing up a lung anytime now, but no fever or non-normal pain...it ain't my first time being forced to "stand fast, so i can deal...

and my liquor store delivers :commie:

on the down side my type-A personality Number One Niece, aka @She who must be Obeyed , has bleached, lysoled and soaked in ammonia every stinking thing in this dwelling...and i am certain i shall die of that funk rather than any creeping crud lurking on the toilet paper row at the Piggly Wiggly... <_<

:smoking:

On 4/12/2020 at 4:33 AM, Meera of Tarth said:

I don't know if I had it. Don't think so but a doctor told me by phone that I had a virus, probably not this but it could be. They could not test.

My symptoms were around 10-15 days of very low "fever" Temperature reaching up to 37.5°C (99.06°F) but normally  less, like 37.2°C (98.96°F). All those two weeks I was taking three paracetamols per day though, till one day I was again at 36.7°C (99.5°F) and I stopped taking paracetamol.

Then I also had fatigue, and lots of headache every day since day one and I could not work on anything becaue I felt tired and bad. But not as bad as staying in bed all day. Resting though.

It started the day that Spain decided to close universities and two days before the State of Alarm. 

Not sore throat (and it's not weird in me having sore throat) but then again I rarely catch anything that causes me fatigue or so many days and temperature, even if very low. I surely was anxious as well. 

I coughed but it was not "constant". 

:grouphug: I hope you manage to find out at least later. I am glad you are better now.

I am physically mostly okay, but the quarantine is impacting me mentally after about a month of not spending time and really talking much to anybody but my closest family. I really want to see my friends and give them a hug, talk to them IRL and not through the Internet. I do have things to do, I justfinished some work from home project and I should be studying, but I just lack any motivation to do it whatsoever because I am sick of sitting in front of the computer, my eyes hurt from it. I also messed up my sleep schedule completely, which always results in my feeling horrible and pessimistic about everything in life.

I suppose I am still privileged to be able to complain about these things, so I feel guilty to feel bad when so many people have it so much worse. I hope everybody in this thread who is worried about themselves and their family gets by. :grouphug: 

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

:grouphug: I hope you manage to find out at least later. I am glad you are better now.

I am physically mostly okay, but the quarantine is impacting me mentally after about a month of not spending time and really talking much to anybody but my closest family. I really want to see my friends and give them a hug, talk to them IRL and not through the Internet. I do have things to do, I justfinished some work from home project and I should be studying, but I just lack any motivation to do it whatsoever because I am sick of sitting in front of the computer, my eyes hurt from it. I also messed up my sleep schedule completely, which always results in my feeling horrible and pessimistic about everything in life.

I suppose I am still privileged to be able to complain about these things, so I feel guilty to feel bad when so many people have it so much worse. I hope everybody in this thread who is worried about themselves and their family gets by. :grouphug: 

Hey Buck!, thanks for your thoughts!

I give you a big virtual hug!! :grouphug:

Please don't feel guilty. I know. That happened to me as well and people I know in the beginning but it's normal. In fact it would be worse not saying these feelings out. We have to understand we can't do nothing for the citizens except sating at home. And we are doing well.

Maybe I find out when the things calm down, right now there are not enought tests for everyone, especially elders. But it would be intereeting

Yes, I have the same feeling. I also.messed up my sleep schedule almost shifting nigjts and days except when I have to attend an online.class and then I barely sleep.

It's nice you do home projects it makes you feel distracted.  Nowadays I barely watch the news. As for studying..I feel you! It's hard especially when yiu can't go out and you spend all days in your desk. In my case there have been something positive: I developed the habit of doing it every day. But it has more drawbacks than advantatges in my case...

Basically I am studying virtually 24x7...some professors of the master organised things very well but others just don't think at all about what they are doing to us. For instance, a subject of 3 ECTS of Human Resources just decided we should autostudy everything and din't give classes (neitgher online nor videos...)and they give tasks every week. Problem is...this weekend I spent 20 hours doing the task of the week, and my colleagues also took a couple of days. Thing is I am doing 8 subjects...and I regret having signep uo for so many. Because work is multiplied by two now.

So I basically don't have weekends anymore or holidays and mentally I reached the point of burn out for this reason eveb if I can wake up whenever I want generally. I never ever had worked so hard..and I feel exhausted mentally.

I am not accustomed to not having weekends.

I don't have time to exercise, watch films or series and my social interaction is just some instagram chat or whatsap in my study breaks. But no long conversations. There is no time for that...

The first weeks I did videocalls with some friends, and played online games on fb, now I don't longer have time. And even then, while it's nice reaching out this way....t's not the same. I wa t to ride my bike, go walking with my friends, hug them.

I even had to cancel karaoke videocalls I had planned and online game playing again. Maybe in two weeks after my online rxams I will have a break of one day.

It's been a month since I don't go out and today my official 20 days quarantine finished so maybe I'll go shopping this week. But I have fear.

I don't do turoring classes anymore not even on Skyoe bc now it's time-impossible. And I guess someday I will have to return to the uni for my job but not now. I received my salary on March. I dont know how I will handle this with the nee online version if my master if they make me return. Now thr uni is closed.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

This seems like a good time to revive this thread. Even while vaccines are being rolled out, people are still getting Covid, and are stressed and worried.

I don't know if this makes sense, but as someone who just had the first dose of the vaccine two days ago, I am sort of worried about not being worried enough -- I wonder if I will jump back in to "normal activities" too soon. I am trying to convince myself to still be as careful as I have been for the past year until April 10 (which will be 3 weeks after my second dose) but I can feel myself being really antsy about wanting to go places and do things again, which I really wasn't until yesterday. I am a member of a walking club here in Omaha that gets together every Wednesday evening to walk for an hour and then goes out to eat in a restaurant. I have promised them I will walk with them again after April 10 but I wonder if I should also go out to restaurants again at that point. Will it really be safe for me to do so then or should I still avoid eating a meal maskless in such a setting? I am sort of worried both about starting activities again too soon, but also worried about being too paranoid and missing out on doing things again when I might really be safe. Seems my mind is not letting me "win" either way! :)

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

I don't know if this makes sense, but as someone who just had the first dose of the vaccine two days ago, I am sort of worried about not being worried enough -- I wonder if I will jump back in to "normal activities" too soon. I am trying to convince myself to still be as careful as I have been for the past year until April 10 (which will be 3 weeks after my second dose) but I can feel myself being really antsy about wanting to go places and do things again, which I really wasn't until yesterday. I am a member of a walking club here in Omaha that gets together every Wednesday evening to walk for an hour and then goes out to eat in a restaurant. I have promised them I will walk with them again after April 10 but I wonder if I should also go out to restaurants again at that point. Will it really be safe for me to do so then or should I still avoid eating a meal maskless in such a setting? I am sort of worried both about starting activities again too soon, but also worried about being too paranoid and missing out on doing things again when I might really be safe. Seems my mind is not letting me "win" either way! :)

Honestly, from what I have read, go walk!  I think you can also, cautiously, consider a hair cut or even a restaurant.  Yes, please wear masks appropriately otherwise, but I think the risk/reward trade off will start to change for you after April 10 (like don’t go to a rave, but particularly if the weather is nice, an outdoor restaurant meal seems really low risk, though maybe not possible in Omaha in April, by May? And indoors might be ok then too for you depending on what is going on in your community?)

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

I don't know if this makes sense, but as someone who just had the first dose of the vaccine two days ago, I am sort of worried about not being worried enough -- I wonder if I will jump back in to "normal activities" too soon. I am trying to convince myself to still be as careful as I have been for the past year until April 10 (which will be 3 weeks after my second dose) but I can feel myself being really antsy about wanting to go places and do things again, which I really wasn't until yesterday.

I wouldn't necessarily completely act without concern but once you've had your second dose I don't think there's any reason to be too cautious either. There seems to be an ever growing amount of evidence that two doses of the Pfizer vaccine provides a very good level of protection.

Archived