A Terrible Movie that you love

Raja

I'm bored so I'm making this - what is one terrible movie that you love? Obviously 'terrible' is a relative term for all of us, but I suppose what I mean is a movie that you can totally see all the flaws related to said movie, but you kinda love it anyway.

Here's mine - Prometheus

Okay, I know everyone shits on this movie but I kinda love it. I'm a sucker for space movies so even though parts of this movie are terrible, I rewatch it once every few months.

Things I love about it

- Idris Elba's strange accent
- The theme! The soundtrack - I feel like it has one of the best themes released in the last decade. It's certainly something I remember.
- The visuals. The film looks gorgeous.

Also, more Idris Elba in space movies, please.

I don't know about love, if I loved a film I'd probably try to make some argument for it being better than terrible, but I quite like The Postman. It's absolutely, unequivocally terrible. The plot doesn't make sense, it's not particularly well acted, it's way to long and it's far too mawkish. I enjoy it though. I've got a bit of soft spot for stupid post apocalyptic stuff in general and it's entertaining how completely over the top it is.

24 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I don't know about love, if I loved a film I'd probably try to make some argument for it being better than terrible

Yeah, as I said in my post it's more about movies where you recognize it's flaws, but know you have a soft spot for that you like.

But that seemed too many words for a title!

Well make it a daily double for Costner. I also like Postman and will add Waterworld as mine. I believe most think it was too long and sucked but I have seen it several times and will stop and watch it if it's on.

7 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Armageddon

I would call this a 'good movie for what it is' not a terrible movie.  It's very watchable...nice secondary cast, young Affleck, hot dad Bruce Willis.

I'm trying and failing to think of actual bad movies that I love even though I know there are many.

It probably feels terrible only from this perspective in history and film making time, but The Vikings (1958), with Ernest Borgnine (who is Ragnar Lodbrok, Kirk Douglas as Einar, Ragnar's son,

as a real nasty bad guy, and Tony Curtis as the good guy and Janet Leigh as The Girl.

But it has that incredible scene of Borgnine dying as Viking down in the pit of starving wolves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vikings_(film)

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

It probably feels terrible only from this perspective in history and film making time, but The Vikings (1958), with Ernest Borgnine (who is Ragnar Lodbrok, Kirk Douglas as Einar, Ragnar's son,

as a real nasty bad guy, and Tony Curtis as the good guy and Janet Leigh as The Girl.

But it has that incredible scene of Borgnine dying as Viking down in the pit of starving wolves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vikings_(film)

No, I thinkit is a legit bad movie.  Tony Curtis as a viking, with that accent, come on. I was never a huge fan of Kirk Douglas especially in his later phase where he always overacts as he does here.   Interesting you bring it up, because that movie is never on anymore, even though most of the other similar badish 50s epic are on quite often. 

9 minutes ago, Raja said:

Hope you've seen this. I also like that movie but haven't seen it in ages.

:lol: That's pretty good.

But I do agree with Cas. Armageddon's a bit of stupid fun but I think overall it's a half decent film rather than terrible.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Tony Curtis as a viking,

Not a viking, a Christian slave -- and unknown to all including himself, Ragnar's illegitimate son, and Kirk Douglas's half brother.

I recently re-watched part of it, since it's up on amazilla, and that accent really isn't in evidence in the way They have always said.

However, he seems absurd in that role, as is Janet Leigh in hers. 

These are the days still when Hollywood actors are very uncomfortable showing their legs in those short little skirts men wore in the Roman and Dark Ages. :D

I feel like no real explanation is needed, but for those who've missed it, its peak late 80s materialism matched peak 80s Cruise charm, all set to the tune of "Kokomo". It's as manufactured and artifical as it gets.

Lots of these movies are really not all that bad. 

I feel the exact opposite on Prometheus, i think it has some good qualities but I also really kind of hate it.

Anyway this is a difficult one thing really think of. There are the obvious ‘so bad it’s good’ movies like The Room , but not sure that counts.

For me I have a huge amount of love for the Crank movies which are often utterly ridiculous and do things which are knowingly over the top stupid like the race course shagging scene. 

But at the same time their is a real level of skill behind them which maybe doesn’t justify them being called terrible. I do love them though. 

Archived