A Terrible Movie that you love

Raja

I love Krull and I love Willow

To a lesser degree I enjoy Troy and Day After Tomorrow

Some of the choices in this thread made me remember how much I like Alien Resurrection...which I don't think is too common?  It's clearly not the best Alien movie nor is it the best Jeunet and Caro movie but I have always liked it.

I love Dune(84) and even Lynch himself hates it.

Can't Buy Me Love is a longtime favorite.  Also Johnny Be Good.  Neither is very popular but I think they are both great.

I like every Tom Cruise movie I have ever seen including Cocktail.

17 hours ago, Liffguard said:

The One with Jet Li. It was an early 2000s sci-fi action Matrix rip-off who's cheesiness was exceeded only by how cheap it looks. But goddamn if I don't get a big stupid grin on my face when Jet Li starts beating guys up in slow motion with Papa Roach in the background.

Oh yeah, and Jason Statham is in it.

Not to mention the amazing end scene.

I thought Willow was great as a child, but we attempted a rewatch a couple of years ago to see if it would be appropriate for our son, and we couldn’t watch more than ten minutes of it.

In a similar vein, when I was ten I absolutely loved Big Trouble In Little China.  Even then I could tell that it was cheesy and schlocky, like the primitive ancestor of Mortal Kombat.

Love Actually is a terrible movie that my wife loves, and is part of our Christmas Eve tradition.  It’s so weird to associate that with my favorite time of year.

The Transporter is a terrible B movie that I always liked.  I don’t know why I like Jason Statham so much, probably just for his Cockney tough guy characters in Guy Ritchie films.

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

In a similar vein, when I was ten I absolutely loved Big Trouble In Little China.  Even then I could tell that it was cheesy and schlocky, like the primitive ancestor of Mortal Kombat.

Both of these awful movies belong in The Library of Congress.

Fight me if you disagree. I can learn the Fighting Irish stance in a few hours.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, more than once.  I like it, but don't love it.  

Most of it is boring, but the last bit is awesome.

Also, that French woman is beautiful. It was funny seeing a picture of her with her fellow French woman, Ava Green.

People have good taste in your country, @Rippounet:P. I missed out not doing a summer abroad there in HS. But Argentina in college was fun, too. 

21 hours ago, Raja said:

Also a movie that I will watch 10/10 times even though I recognize it's a little absurd.

This is a favourite of mine. It's just so well structured as a disaster movie. Yet bad. Pretty bad science and highly implausible scenes like the "ice freeze chase". And an oddly cavalier attitude toward the mass destruction and death from the new "ice age". But then it is a Roland Emmerich movie. 

17 hours ago, DMC said:

I am glad that no one mentioned the first one I had in mind though - Con Air.  You got Malkovich loving it as the villain actually called "Cyrus the Virus," John Cusack with all his outdated earnestness, Steve Buscemi as Hannibal Lecter, Trejo and Rhymes badassing it up, M.C. Gainey as the criminals' pilot, and Dave fucking Chapelle.  If you don't love this movie you're not a Real American.  Even Nic Cage couldn't fuck this up.

So, I guess you could say I have a soft-spot for horrible late 90s action flicks.  I suppose you could also infer I have a soft-spot for Nic Cage, but I SWEAR that's just a coincidence.  Really, I promise.  Alternatively, you could say I have a soft-spot for Buscemi being a hilarious character actor.

I mean, I think most of these peak 90s action movies are great and not at all "terrible". Con Air is definitely up there, but so is The Rock which I've seen dozens of times. 

16 hours ago, Triskele said:

I'm a bit of a Prometheus apologist.  I don't think it's great, and I think it's frustrating because Lindelof had way more exploration of certain stuff int he script that didn't make it into Scott's final film if I understand correctly.  And as Raja stated it just looks great.  And I also think that Fassbender is always including in that role.  Too good of a film to be the inaugural thread example! :)

It's a spectacular failure in a lot of ways. Fassbender as David as Peter O'Toole as T.E. Lawrence is one of the virtuoso performances of the last 20 years. I don't like where they went with him in Covenant really, but however good these movies look I can't quite put them on this list. Also, Prometheus has Guy Pearce in terrible old man makeup. Minus a thousand points right there. 

16 hours ago, Raja said:

The trailer has a real Zardoz energy to it. Also, Krull is on youtube so that *is* tempting..

It has the benefit of not actually being Zardoz too. I don't know that Zardoz, actually, is a terrible movie exactly, but I don't know that I really enjoyed it (that assumes I stayed awake through the third act). 

16 hours ago, Durckad said:

Independence Day is also a bad move depending upon who you ask and I love it. The "Ra-Ra-Murika!" aspect is annoying, but eh, it's a fun action movie that I really enjoy. It's also really, really stupid.

It's Bill Pullman's defining role. Kinda. It also has drunk Randy Quaid, pre-weird-for-the-sake-of-weird Jeff Goldblum, and random small parts with the likes of Harvey Fierstein, to say nothing of peak Action Will Smith chomping on a cigar as he punches out an alien - and Brent Spiner as a capital "S" Scientist. So it's pretty bad but it is ever watchable and fun. 

15 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Jupiter Ascending is so much fun. It’s SO bad but SO worth a watch. 

It did help convince me that Eddie Redmayne is a terrible actor. Or at least can be. 

14 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Motion to remove all mention of Willow from this thread dedicated to “terrible” movies.

Seconded. 

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Does The Devil's Advocate count?  I definitely love it, but is it terrible? 

Pretty much. 

The 90s were such a great time for cinema. I think my nomination here is definitely Outbreak - it has everything a good 90s movie has: a romantic post-divorce subplot between the leads, A-list casting between Hoffman, Russo, Freeman, Sutherland, 1995 era Kevin Spacey, and Patrick Dempsey as patient zero long before he became an annoying character on the most annoying medical drama on the air. It also has a nonsensical military plot and manages a helicopter chase through a canyon in a movie with an Ebola-style virus. 

35 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

I mean, I think most of these peak 90s action movies are great and not at all "terrible". Con Air is definitely up there, but so is The Rock which I've seen dozens of times. 

Yeah, I thought about The Rock but I actually classify that as an outright good movie.  The other one's I mentioned I'd classify (and have for years with friends) as "good bad" movies, which I thought this thread was getting at.  Basically, the premise and story could be conceived and written by a precocious monkey.  The Rock might've been in that category as well until they hired Tarantino as a script doctor.

I loved it when I was a kid and it has a fantastic John Williams score. And it's probably one of my most watched Robin Williams movies alongside Mrs Doubtfire. But I'm not sure it really works - I mean, it never really has. I don't know that it counts as "terrible" but I do kinda love it. 

Archived