A Terrible Movie that you love

Raja

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean, seriously? I love it, but there are so many problems with it.

You get to eat invisible food for Easter. No ham for you! 

Really, you're gonna complain about the imaginary food in a movie founded on a place called Never Never Land?  Hook was a very well-done family film - unsurprising considering that's what Spielberg is probably best at and the family dynamic was his muse to get into filmmaking in the first place.  Plus it gets bonus points for actually killing off a "good" major character in a family film - and a kid at that.  Not to mention actually involving moral complexity to the primary conflict in a kids movie.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Really, you're gonna complain about the imaginary food in a movie founded on a place called Never Never Land?  Hook was a very well-done family film - unsurprising considering that's what Spielberg is probably best at and the family dynamic was his muse to get into filmmaking in the first place.  Plus it gets bonus points for actually killing off a "good" major character in a family film - and a kid at that.  Not to mention actually involving moral complexity to the primary conflict in a kids movie.

Based on the long conversation I've openly had with @Fury Resurrected, do you not see the problems with Rufio, that he's a stand in for all the racist Native Americans stuff from the cartoon,.......and he's the one that gets killed?

Check, meet mate, my friend. You've been social justice body slammed. :P

I do like the movie, for what it's worth, but it's not actually good. 

How do you feel about Jingle All the Way? Or the original Jumanji? These are not good movies, but they are fun.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

How do you feel about Jingle All the Way? Or the original Jumanji? These are not good movies, but they are fun.

These would be good comparisons.  Hook should be rated on the scale of a family/kids film, and in that respect I think it's undoubtedly a "good" family film.  Its only glaring weakness is the slogging pace and subsequent way too long runtime (particularly for a kids film).  I like Jumanji (to be clear, meaning the Williams version), good rewatchability.  I'd also classify it as a good family film (although I'd rank Hook substantially higher).  Jingle All the Way?  I think I might have seen that once around when it came out on cable, but that was a long time ago and I don't really remember.  The fact I've never been interested in rewatching it when bored suggests I thought it was not only bad, but not a whole lot of fun either.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

These would be good comparisons.  Hook should be rated on the scale of a family/kids film, and in that respect I think it's undoubtedly a "good" family film.  Its only glaring weakness is the slogging pace and subsequent way too long runtime (particularly for a kids film).  I like Jumanji (to be clear, meaning the Williams version), good rewatchability.  I'd also classify it as a good family film (although I'd rank Hook substantially higher).  Jingle All the Way?  I think I might have seen that once around when it came out on cable, but that was a long time ago and I don't really remember.  The fact I've never been interested in rewatching it when bored suggests I thought it was not only bad, but not a whole lot of fun either.

It's quite the bit of dumb fun, but I do have an obvious MN bias. 

But all of the above are better than Waterworld. Which is also dumb fun. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Most of it is boring, but the last bit is awesome.

Also, that French woman is beautiful. It was funny seeing a picture of her with her fellow French woman, Ava Green.

People have good taste in your country, @Rippounet:P. I missed out not doing a summer abroad there in HS. But Argentina in college was fun, too. 

*grits teeth* Eva you dunce!

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So, how do we grade Hook on this scale? 

I was thinking of that but then i realised i haven’t seen it for so long i couldn’t recall how good or bad it was.

I planned to rewatch it but then stumbled across Mrs Doubtfire and watched that instead

13 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

You know, I have an ex named Ava and a cousin's kid I talk to regularly is named Ada. And I've been to Eva Peron's grave. Sue me.

I was thinking of that but then i realised i haven’t seen it for so long i couldn’t recall how good or bad it was.

I planned to rewatch it but then stumbled across Mrs Doubtfire and watched that instead

How does it hold up? Can't say I've seen it since, well jesus maybe since I was a kid in the 90's. Admittedly not one of my favorites, but it is alright.

14 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think i also have to add Van Helsing to this thread. I love the film but its objectively pretty bad

The Hugh Jackman one right? Because yeah, it's both terrible and delightful all at once.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You know, I have an ex named Ava and a cousin's kid I talk to regularly is named Ada. And I've been to Eva Peron's grave. Sue me.

How does it hold up? Can't say I've seen it since, well jesus maybe since I was a kid in the 90's. Admittedly not one of my favorites, but it is alright.

The Hugh Jackman one right? Because yeah, it's both terrible and delightful all at once.

*grinds teeth some more*

I’ve always loved it so held up pretty well for me.

Yeah that’s the one. Its just so campy and hilariously OTT i can’t not love it

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

*grinds teeth some more*

I’ve always loved it so held up pretty well for me.

Yeah that’s the one. Its just so campy and hilariously OTT i can’t not love it

You know, Brit, grinding your teeth this much might lead you to these ends:

45 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Strong work!

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I watch it every few months. It's very much of its time, and the whole plot is super bizarre and unsettling if you think much about it, but I love it. Pre-Bond Brosnan is perfectly cast and when you have so many strong players alongside competent child/youth actors, it's hard to go wrong. Williams obviously carries the day. 

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not a favorite, but I would go with 10 Things I Hate About You in the bad, but good Ledger column. 

Not a bad movie! 10 Things I Hate About You is basically as close as you can get to a non-problematic adaptation of Taming of the Shrew. Which is very impressive.

And it wasn't just Ledger; Julia Stiles is really good too. And Larry Miller is a lot of fun. Joseph Gordon-Levitt hadn't entirely figured out how to act yet, but its great to see him try.

It's 68% of Rotten Tomatoes I think undersells how critics actually wrote about it at the time. But even so, 68% isn't a bad movie.

ETA: Plus the soundtrack is great.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Of all the outrageously stupid and mistaken things I've read Ty say over the years, this is by far the most egregious.  Banning is well warranted.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think i also have to add Van Helsing to this thread. I love the film but its objectively pretty bad

Oh, good one!  I will totally stop and watch Van Helsing most any time I see it on cable.  Kate Beckinsale doesn't hurt.

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not a favorite, but I would go with 10 Things I Hate About You in the bad, but good Ledger column. 

Yeah I always liked 10 Things I Hate About You.  I think it's actually a pretty good high school movie.  As a Shakespeare adaptation, though, it's certainly lacking.

Finally, Mrs. Doubtfire definitely holds up.  Watched it a few months ago.  It's a ridiculous premise, of course, but once you suspend disbelief it's a blast.

Archived