A Terrible Movie that you love

Raja

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not a bad movie! 10 Things I Hate About You is basically as close as you can get to a non-problematic adaptation of Taming of the Shrew. Which is very impressive.

And it wasn't just Ledger; Julia Stiles is really good too. And Larry Miller is a lot of fun. Joseph Gordon-Levitt hadn't entirely figured out how to act yet, but its great to see him try.

It's 68% of Rotten Tomatoes I think undersells how critics actually wrote about it at the time. But even so, 68% isn't a bad movie.

ETA: Plus the soundtrack is great.

Ditto on this. Not a bad movie at all.

30 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

I watch it every few months. It's very much of its time, and the whole plot is super bizarre and unsettling if you think much about it, but I love it. Pre-Bond Brosnan is perfectly cast and when you have so many strong players alongside competent child/youth actors, it's hard to go wrong. Williams obviously carries the day. 

If we're keeping it in that category, The Thomas Crown Affair? Rene was on fire in that movie, though.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not a bad movie! 10 Things I Hate About You is basically as close as you can get to a non-problematic adaptation of Taming of the Shrew. Which is very impressive.

And it wasn't just Ledger; Julia Stiles is really good too. And Larry Miller is a lot of fun. Joseph Gordon-Levitt hadn't entirely figured out how to act yet, but its great to see him try.

It's 68% of Rotten Tomatoes I think undersells how critics actually wrote about it at the time. But even so, 68% isn't a bad movie.

Yes, I get it. 11 year old Fez had a big crush. Still, pretty meh movie.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Of all the outrageously stupid and mistaken things I've read Ty say over the years, this is by far the most egregious.  Banning is well warranted.

Oh, good one!  I will totally stop and watch Van Helsing most any time I see it on cable.  Kate Beckinsale doesn't hurt.

Yeah I always liked 10 Things I Hate About You.  I think it's actually a pretty good high school movie.  As a Shakespeare adaptation, though, it's certainly lacking.

Finally, Mrs. Doubtfire definitely holds up.  Watched it a few months ago.  It's a ridiculous premise, of course, but once you suspend disbelief it's a blast.

I mean, if I'm gonna get banned for that......dude you've got some long receipts. And I'm not even talking about anything political you've said. I mean, and I can't fucking even, HBK over Stone Cold? I should be allowed to hit you with a folded chair for that.

So in all of this, where does the sequel to The NeverEnding Story go? 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If we're keeping it in that category, The Thomas Crown Affair? Rene was on fire in that movie, though.

I never actually saw it! But to take this one step further, Goldeneye is arguably bad but it's so great. 

I mean, I haven't watched it in 25 years (more?), but the effects probably hold up better than the first movie. Which isn't to say that you should watch either. My childhood memories of these movies is helped more by reading the crazy surreal book. 

It's good practice to periodically watch a terrible movie to calibrate one's viewing tastes. Not something utterly shit, that's just soul destroying, no point in suffering - but something you innately know is ordinary and can tolerate. I would submit The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for my likes.  

Oh and Krull is great, it came out amongst a host of high adventure sword flicks like Conan The Destroyer, Ladyhawke, Red Sonja. All of these can be enjoyed more so than endured. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think Thomas Crime Affair is just a good caper - it has a 70% rating from Rotten Tomatoes.  Stop mentioning simply good movies.  And yes, Russo was..quite something.  Pretty sure I saw it in theaters with my parents though which was...very awkward.  Especially considering she's only a year or two younger than them.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

HBK over Stone Cold?

HBK was objectively a better wrestler than Stone Cold, even before Owen broke his neck.  You know who agrees with me?  Stone Cold.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh, god, I barely remember the first one.  Not even sure I saw the sequel.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yes, I get it. 11 year old Fez had a big crush. Still, pretty meh movie.

1) I was 13 when the movie came out.

2) Actually my crush from the movie was Larisa Oleynik, but I recognize that there's nothing that impressive about her acting ability. 

3) I didn't even mention Allison Janney as the thirsty principal.

12 minutes ago, ithanos said:

It's good practice to periodically watch a terrible movie to calibrate one's viewing tastes. Not something utterly shit, that's just soul destroying, no point in suffering - but something you innately know is ordinary and can tolerate. I would submit The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for my likes. 

This would, OTOH, seem like a perfect submission. 

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

2) Actually my crush from the movie was Larisa Oleynik, but I recognize that there's nothing that impressive about her acting ability. 

Yeah I had a crush on her as a kid too, Alex Mack and all.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think Thomas Crime Affair is just a good caper - it has a 70% rating from Rotten Tomatoes.  Stop mentioning simply good movies.  And yes, Russo was..quite something.  Pretty sure I saw it in theaters with my parents though which was...very awkward.  Especially considering she's only a year or two younger than them.

What's worse, to be memorable, but terrible, or to be just fine, and completely forgettable? 

And I recall being like ten watching Titanic in the theater with my mom. Similar vibes.

HBK was objectively a better wrestler than Stone Cold, even before Owen broke his neck.  You know who agrees with me?  Stone Cold.

And I call SC a liar! 

Oh, god, I barely remember the first one.  Not even sure I saw the sequel.

It was bad, but like fun bad. The first was okay, but could have done without the 87 hours with the turtle thing. 

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

1) I was 13 when the movie came out.

3) I didn't even mention Allison Janney as the thirsty principal.

1. Thought you said we're in the same class. 

2. Who?

3. I'll give you that one. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You can officially go fuck yourself with a rusty screwdriver. 

I see you're staying Onatopp of things. Believe me, I LOVE Goldeneye. Sean Bean getting crushed by a falling pieces of the Arecibo Observatory later featured in Contact! Random disposable characters like Defence Minister Dmitri Mishkin who think they're starring in their own movie! Feigned attempts at "wokeness" with M's "misogynist dinosaur" speech! Alan Cumming! Robbie Coltrane! And of course full on post-Soviet corrupt Russia with General Ourumov, Head of Space Division. 

I may start in on the quotes soon...

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I recall being like ten watching Titanic in the theater with my mom. Similar vibes.

At least Winslet wasn't topless for, like, half the movie like Russo.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I call SC a liar! 

Good think you're not married to him then.

2 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

Believe me, I LOVE Goldeneye.

Reading this post made me realize the vast majority of my knowledge of Goldeneye is derived from the videogame.

Just now, DMC said:

Reading this post made me realize the vast majority of my knowledge of Goldeneye is derived from the videogame.

Considering most of the characters (including Mishkin!) appear as playable characters in it, that's not surprising. 

9 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

I see you're staying Onatopp of things. Believe me, I LOVE Goldeneye. Sean Bean getting crushed by a falling pieces of the Arecibo Observatory later featured in Contact! Random disposable characters like Defence Minister Dmitri Mishkin who think they're starring in their own movie! Feigned attempts at "wokeness" with M's "misogynist dinosaur" speech! Alan Cumming! Robbie Coltrane! And of course full on post-Soviet corrupt Russia with General Ourumov, Head of Space Division. 

I may start in on the quotes soon...

I will concede her ability to kill people with her legs may have been a bit over the top, but don't ever question that perfect film again. :spank:

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

At least Winslet wasn't topless for, like, half the movie like Russo.

Wait, I thought it was just for like a scene or two. 

No, they didn't shoot paint balls at each other. 

3 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

Considering most of the characters (including Mishkin!) appear as playable characters in it, that's not surprising. 

Always enjoyed killing Mishkin in the Archives level.  In fact, when I was bored I recall I'd just sit in that room you start in and continue to kill the countless number of Russian soldiers.  Good thing their bodies disappeared.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wait, I thought it was just for like a scene or two. 

No, they didn't shoot paint balls at each other. 

I think it was more than a scene or two, but I obviously was exaggerating - plus haven't seen it in years, could just be wrong.

Uh, we didn't when we played the game either.  My brother was annoying as well when we used proximity mines.

50 minutes ago, Fez said:

My older brother is actually friends with Monique Powell from Save Ferris. I met her a couple years after this came out, but I remember getting a kick out her being in this movie (singing during the prom scene). They have a couple songs on the soundtrack iirc. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I will concede her ability to kill people with her legs may have been a bit over the top, but don't ever question that perfect film again. :spank:

Very well.:commie:

But I don't really care for Natalya...

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think it was more than a scene or two, but I obviously was exaggerating - plus haven't seen it in years, could just be wrong.

I only recall a sun bathing scene and a sex scene, but I also haven't seen it in a while. I just remember it being incredibly boring despite people saying it was really good.

He tips his yacht racing in that film, right? 

Uh, we didn't when we played the game either.  My brother was annoying as well when we used proximity mines.

It was one of the many fun cheats in the game. You could give yourself two super guns and put paint ball mode on. It was pretty funny. A friend actually gave me a N64 a year ago. Never tried to fire it up, but if I ever do and it works, I'll be looking for the above and Mariocart. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think i also have to add Van Helsing to this thread. I love the film but its objectively pretty bad

I remember a friend telling me that when he went to see it the sound cut out in the cinema halfway through the film and they had to make up their own dialogue for the rest of the film. He said that definitely improved the film.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

What is people's opinion on A Knight's Tale? I love it. Its RT score isn't good.

I think it's a great film. Of course it is utterly ludicrous but at least it knows that it is. The jousting makes for good action, Ledger is charismatic while Bettany, Addy and Tudyk are good sidekicks.

22 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Jupiter Ascending is so much fun. It’s SO bad but SO worth a watch. 

This feels a bit different to something like A Knight's Tale, because I'm not sure the film-makers really intended it to be as ridiculous as it is, so I think it does belong in this thread. It's very pretty, but I think that's the only thing it genuinely does well, other than that it's definitely a so-bad-it's-good film that I can enjoy without thinking it's in any way a good film.

Another suggestion - Godzilla : King of the Monsters. The scenes with the monsters fighting are a lot of fun and I can definitely get behind the film's suggestion that the world would be better with Godzilla and Mothra in charge, but the script is catastrophically bad.

Archived