A Terrible Movie that you love

Raja

Reign of Fire: Bale, McConaghy, dragons, a big axe, Gerald Butler - this movie has it all. 

From the the director of 'Elektra' and executive producer of 'Castle', a tale of post apocalyptic Britain after dragons have destroyed civilization. 

Spoiler

[Better than 'Strange Days']

59 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Ah, Demolition Man...

Though is that a bad movie in the end?

It's cheesy in many ways, and yet... I don't see what would objectively make it bad.

Oh, I think it's a pretty damn good nomination.  That "sex" scene?  The entire plot?  Wesley Snipes managing to be a more cheesy actor than Sylvester Stallone?  Definitely fits the description of the OP in my book - because I also quite enjoyed it in spite of its terribleness.

59 minutes ago, DMC said:

Oh, I think it's a pretty damn good nomination.  That "sex" scene?  The entire plot?  Wesley Snipes managing to be a more cheesy actor than Sylvester Stallone?  Definitely fits the description of the OP in my book - because I also quite enjoyed it in spite of its terribleness.

But since it was all deliberate, since the cheesiness was always the goal... Wouldn't you have to admit that the movie achieved its goals, and that it ends up being good?
A different way to put it: if you think the movie is terrible, isn't it you who doesn't like cheesy science-fiction? The OP mentions "flaws," but can you say the cheesiness of Demolition Man is a flaw when we know it was deliberate?

Edit: did anyone mention 2012? That one I'd nominate as truly bad, and I think I can explain why. :)

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

Reign of Fire: Bale, McConaghy, dragons, a big axe, Gerald Butler - this movie has it all. 

From the the director of 'Elektra' and executive producer of 'Castle', a tale of post apocalyptic Britain after dragons have destroyed civilization. 

Hide contents

I was with you all the way up to where you had to bag on "Strange Days". That movie was ahead of its time.

8 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

But since it was all deliberate, since the cheesiness was always the goal... Wouldn't you have to admit that the movie achieved its goals, and that it ends up being good?
A different way to put it: if you think the movie is terrible, isn't it you who doesn't like cheesy science-fiction? The OP mentions "flaws," but can you say the cheesiness of Demolition Man is a flaw when we know it was deliberate?

I dunno.  See previous pages about horrible late 90s action flicks - the same objections were raised.  This seems to be more of an existential question that takes much thought than I'm interested in committing to such a thread.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I dunno.  See previous pages about horrible late 90s action flicks - the same objections were raised.  This seems to be more of an existential question that takes much thought than I'm interested in committing to such a thread.

I liked the idea of bickering about unimportant things. ;)

Anyway, I'd say it's all a matter of intent. If the cheesiness is deliberate it can hardly be held against the movie (it becomes a matter of taste imho).
But of course, how deliberate (or accidental) something is is very difficult to assess.

2012, IMO, is like bad Armageddon. The latter was terrible, but also oddly good. The former is just kind of bad.

Now, I think I've got a good submission: Skyscraper. The movie is terrible, outside of Neve Campbell coming back with a gorgeous fury, but it also is hilariously fun.  

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No. Armageddon is the worst film ever made. I’ll die on that hill.

I watched my step-father cry in the theater.

He's 6'4, or was before he got older and slouched, and a friend once joked he could literally run through walls. He was also an Air Force lifer. One of the strongest guys I've ever met. His son and I were thinking we were tough shit benching 135 when we were 15. He curled the fucking thing with one arm and told us to go do our homework. We ran to our rooms. 

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

This goes again into what is considered terrible. I’d anyways thought of Demolition Man as a classic but thinking about it I have no idea how it was received or remembered now.

Apparently you know how to use the 3 seashells. 

What about Basketball Diaries with Leo?

7 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Reveal hidden contents

I love Reign of Fire.

In threads like these I just choose movies that bombed critically or at the box office...or that people seem not to like for whatever reason.  There are no movies that I like that I think are bad movies.  They are good even if only because I like them. 

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

2012, IMO, is like bad Armageddon. The latter was terrible, but also oddly good. The former is just kind of bad.

Now, I think I've got a good submission: Skyscraper. The movie is terrible, outside of Neve Campbell coming back with a gorgeous fury, but it also is hilariously fun.  

Its a Dwayne Johnson movie, were you expecting quality?

9 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

What's wrong with the Jumanji remake?

The guy was smoldering.

I hate that film so much. I deeply regret that I went to see the first one in cinema but my friend wanted to go and i hadn’t seen her in almost a year so...

Such boring and ridiculous rubbish

Archived