The Places You Could Travel To

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Where would you go? What would you do? Why do you want to see them?

My new laptop shows me a new place every few hours. I cannot stop looking at The Rainbow Bridge in China. Or this bridge in South Africa. Or this one in Japan. And they'd just serve as great entries into possible journeys. 

Who wouldn't like to see the pyramids of Egypt, or the beaches of Rio, or the wonders of Indonesia?  

I personally got to live in the nicest part of Buenos Aires. Some friends and I are trying to figure out how to go to Europe, mainly Dublin, when this has all passed. I want to try and make it to France, too. So, what would you like to see? It's never too early or too late to dream! 

Recent events have made me think that I should travel more when I do have the chance, particularly for European cities which should be relatively easy for me to get to in normal times. Rome, Barcelona and Dubrovnik are some examples I'd particularly like to visit.

Further afield I've always wanted to see the Pyramids, and I'd like to visit New Zealand some day.

24 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

* This Swedish word literally translates as “flight shame”. It's the name of an anti-flying movement that originated in Sweden, which encourages people to stop taking flights to lower carbon emissions.

thanks for mansplaining that.

just kidding man, I just don’t think there are any internet savvy people left on the planet who haven’t heard of the word ;)

I want to go to Japan. And Iceland and Crete and Croatia.

I don't suffer from any particular flight shame so I think I'll be ok.

I've had to cancel a few holidays so I've been thinking about this. It's hard to see there being much chance of taking many trips this year. On the plus side though I've managed to get most of the money back from my cancelled holidays so, assuming I don't lose my job in the interim, I should have a fair bit of money saved up by the time it's feasible again.

My current plan is to take a load of relatively short European city breaks at first so if there's a flare up and I have to cancel or change travel plans it's not too much of a big deal. At the moment I'm thinking Rome, Lisbon and Vienna would be cool places to visit I haven't been to before. Maybe Dubrovnik too actually.

I had started saving for a vacation right before everything went to hell. Assuming things with my job stay stable (*knocks wood until knuckles bleed*), I'll keep contributing to that account and go somewhere as soon as things are safe again. No idea where yet, anywhere would be good.

Although, I've always wanted to take a trip to southeast Asia, so maybe that'll be the plan. Or Peru.

I have been thinking about trying to live a jobless life in the future as this crisis has shown me how much wage slavery sucks if you don't have a comfy office job.

Traveling is not something I could afford even if I wanted to and I had already canceled my worldcon plans before the crisis because of environmental reasons. I'm not saying I will never travel again but it would be the moral thing to do I guess.

Edit: But Japan and New Zealand are the countries I would like to visit the most.

52 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

Just kidding man, I just don’t think there are any internet savvy people left on the planet who haven’t heard of the word ;)

Yeah. I still have to check on Google every time I try to use it though, so...

40 minutes ago, Fez said:

I had started saving for a vacation right before everything went to hell. Assuming things with my job stay stable (*knocks wood until knuckles bleed*), I'll keep contributing to that account and go somewhere as soon as things are safe again. No idea where yet, anywhere would be good.

Although, I've always wanted to take a trip to southeast Asia, so maybe that'll be the plan. Or Peru.

You're a Jets fan. Just assume everything in your life will go wrong and you'll be fine. 

I just want to drive the 2 hours up to the Adirondacks and hike/climb some new slides during mud season but am responsibly staying out of the backcountry for the time being to not be involved in any rescue scenario.  Similarly skipped out on a spring back country skiing this year.  

When this is over going to do trip through maritime Canada and also a backcountry skiing trip in the Laurentians.

If we're essentially talking a travel bucket list?

Rome

London

Tokyo

New Zealand

Scotland

If we're talking what's in the back if my head and how to make it work if 45 gets reelected?  I've told my best friend, who lives in Christchurch, NZ that I'm moving the family in with him if that happens... :p

47 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're a Jets fan. Just assume everything in your life will go wrong and you'll be fine. 

I prefer to see the Jets as a magnet for my bad luck. They are such a magnet of disappointment and suckassness that everything else is gravy. If I were a Knicks fan too I might've even won the lottery by now.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

I prefer to see the Jets as a magnet for my bad luck. They are such a magnet of disappointment and suckassness that everything else is gravy. If I were a Knicks fan too I might've even won the lottery by now.

Aren't you a Mets fan too? 

5 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

If we're essentially talking a travel bucket list?

Rome

London

Tokyo

New Zealand

Scotland

If we're talking what's in the back if my head and how to make it work if 45 gets reelected?  I've told my best friend, who lives in Christchurch, NZ that I'm moving the family in with him if that happens... :p

It always blows my mind that people actually want to visit london (or any major metropolis for that matter). 

I have a 2 year old so the only holidays that matter to me are ones where family come along and help. Before children I used to manage 3 holidays a year (skiing in march, big one in spring, and a week in Greek or Spanish islands in September). I miss freedom. 

Where are everyone's anti bucket list spots? New York and Las Vegas are mine. 

I have been toying with the idea to buy an Interrail ticket and visit some western-central European cities I haven't visited yet on a trip - Köln, Aachen, Luxembourg, Brussels and maybe another stop in that area should be doable. Unfortunately, I probably wasn't going to be able to afford it this year, and with the virus killing off my new job (I think it probably contributed too, and partly it was for other reasons that I don't know the details about), I am not going to be able to afford it for a while longer - assuming it is even going to be possible to travel anywhere in the foreseeable future.

I wonder if it is even going to be possible to visit Vienna (my absolutely favourite place to be in) and/or Croatian seaside (Slovene people storming the Croatian coast and islands by the thousands in summer is kind of a thing) any time soon.

Archived