UK Politics: What about a Masquerade?

Tywin Manderly

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

80% furlough extended for 4 months. You can wonder at the motivation or where the money has come from. But at least they arent totally fucking useless. 

They're going to ask business to contribute from August, so presumably that means they'll taper the amount paid to businesses but the employee still gets 80%. Apart from that, the strategy is probably, as Derf suggests, to get more and more businesses back to work.

I suspect the motivation is simple. The government flew some kites on reducing the scheme and they got shot down by all sides. Besides, as I've noted before, putting people on unemployment instead is still expensive, and when the second wave hits (almost certainly before October), they'll want to have the scheme in place already.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Do you not think most people have reasonable idea of what is expected, as in they socially distance, stick to people in their household, don’t get on public transport too often etc.

Even if everyone is fluffy on some of the details from what I’m seeing most people are pretty aware of the general rule, which is maybe enough.

No, not really. I think a lot of younger people + healthier older ones will start ignoring the  fluffy idea of what to do over the next few weeks.  Heard from colleagues already of drunken street parties in South Wales at the weekend, and suspect things were similar in a lot of cities. This trend is going to accelerate. People in lockdown and people enforcing the lockdown need an unambiguous guide to what is permitted, and what isn't. Like this.  

7 hours ago, john said:

Here in Luxembourg the lockdown measures have mirrored Britain almost exactly (albeit slightly less strict here) and now the government is relaxing the rules in more or less the same way. The difference is that in Britain you seem to have to deduce how to behave based on extremely general guidelines. Whereas in Luxembourg, the new advice comes in a list of bullet point directions introduced in national media and mailed in the form of a leaflet to every citizen (along with a supply of masks).

There haven't generally been big differences between the UK and Scottish Governments in their approach (although the differences might be increasing) but the Scottish Government seem to have been significantly better at communicating.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Do you not think most people have reasonable idea of what is expected, as in they socially distance, stick to people in their household, don’t get on public transport too often etc.

Even if everyone is fluffy on some of the details from what I’m seeing most people are pretty aware of the general rule, which is maybe enough.

It could be a problem if the police like BFC who are enforcing the rules are also a bit fuzzy on the interpretation.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I would wonder if BFC has had to arrest anyone for going for exercise twice in a day

I havent arrested anyone since 2009. I'm not breaking my stretch for breaching exercise regs. 

36 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I havent arrested anyone since 2009. I'm not breaking my stretch for breaching exercise regs. 

2009?? My last arrest (as a special) was more recent than that, and I quit five years ago!!

48 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I would wonder if BFC has had to arrest anyone for going for exercise twice in a day

Legally he could only have done that in Wales, it was never official in England that you could only go out once.

6 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

It is possible that maybe Oxford doesn't actually exist.    

Highly possible. Rhydychen in the land of Prydain is of course a well-known university city - Oxford, however, was I think invented by Neil Gaiman in 1998. 

The media having a field day about people cramming onto the tube and buses, but apparently (via a friend who works in the network) passenger numbers today and every day this week are still well below 10% of the same period last year. It does show that returning to "business as usual" is fundamentally impossible in the foreseeable future.

Looks like there is going to be a big showdown between the government and the teaching unions. The government's official advice appears to have been written by people who have never come into contact with children, advising that children as young as 4 and 5 are kept apart as much as possible, given their own playdough and not taking others', not putting things in their mouths etc. Clearly completely impossible, so the unions have made it clear that they will be advising their teachers not to return to work on 1 June without much more concrete assurances from the government rooted in scientific advice.

Meanwhile, the infection rate has started creeping up again in the UK, likely a result of the relaxing of people following the guidelines starting 2-3 weeks ago. The R rate looks like it's returned to around 1.0, which will prevent many of the government's proposed lockdown easing measures from being implemented.

47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Daily Mail headline 'let our heroes teach' slagging off unions and saying teachers cant wait to go back and get infected. It really is a repulsive paper. 

"Interestingly", they also appear to have cropped out a black child from the stock photo of teacher and students that they used on the front page.

Image used and original

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Daily Mail headline 'let our heroes teach' slagging off unions and saying teachers cant wait to go back and get infected. It really is a repulsive paper. 

"Heroes" of course having a long tradition of getting themselves killed. I wonder if the Daily Mail intended that implication ...

1 hour ago, Zoë Sumra said:

"Interestingly", they also appear to have cropped out a black child from the stock photo of teacher and students that they used on the front page.

Image used and original

They have form on this. There was a football story a few years ago where they photoshopped a black linesman out of the image.

Framing this as Unions vs Teachers too rather than Unions looking to protect the teachers and the government fucking them over. I mean, not surprised, but still disgusted.

The “Daily Mail Commentary” on that front page was just what you’d expect too. Talking about British solidarity and community. You know, the exact opposite of what their paper represents.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:24 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

2009?? My last arrest (as a special) was more recent than that, and I quit five years ago!!

I think he is of a rank where he has minions to go out and do his bidding!.

14 hours ago, Zoë Sumra said:

Image used and original

To be fair, looking at that that part of the photo would surely be the bit they would normally cut?  Don't they always have the headline on the left, photo on the right? 

Archived