Oberyn's timing

alienarea

The timing of Obery Martell to demand justice for his murdered sister always seemed odd to me.

I can understand that he was cautious to confront Robert about it, but if he had sided with Stannis and appeared with the Dornish army earlier, or had appeared with the Dornish army earlier, things might have turned out different.

Though I love his character, its appearance marks the decline of GRRMs interest too finish the story for me. Oberyn's too good to be true and has to fail in the end. The situation reminds me a lot of Thrawn in Star Wars.

Oberyn is not the Prince of Dorne. He can't decide which claimant the Dornish army will support. But in any case, given that the Martells have a secret pact with the Targaryens and hope to support them in their imminent conquest of Westeros, it would be very unwise to declare for another king and waste their resources supporting his claim.

The best strategy, from a Dornish point of view, is hope that the five kings are worn out in a war of attrition among them, while they sit on the sidelines waiting for their time.

I think Oberyn was aware of all this. But he was too impatient. I assume that after waiting for many years, after learning that Viseys had been killed and Dany was in the Far East with no apparent hurry to return, he decided that his revenge could not wait for the Targaryen restoration.

The Martells are not going to side with Stannis.  Stannis is a man cut from the same cloth as Tywin.  Baldy would have done the same to Rhaegar's children and much worse.  He would have murdered King Viserys III and the infant Princess Daenerys if he had managed to capture them on Dragonstone.  Stannis is a Robert supporter and would oppose a Targaryen restoration.  He is an enemy to the Martells.

4 hours ago, Tai Pan said:

The Martells are not going to side with Stannis.  Stannis is a man cut from the same cloth as Tywin.  Baldy would have done the same to Rhaegar's children and much worse.  He would have murdered King Viserys III and the infant Princess Daenerys if he had managed to capture them on Dragonstone.  Stannis is a Robert supporter and would oppose a Targaryen restoration.  He is an enemy to the Martells.

:lol:

5 hours ago, Tai Pan said:

Disagree. Stannis says he had a hard time choosing between Aerys and Robert. Viserys and Rhaella were blood relatives of his. Would Robert and/or Jon Arryn specifically order Stannis to murder them? Secondly, would Stannis do it?

18-19 year old Stannis commanding the navy/troops taking Dragonstone would not have ordered their murder and would not tolerate his soldiers 'accidentally' killing both Viserys and Rhaella. Dany was not in the picture, depending on when the hypothetical capture of Dragonstone happened and/or Rhaella being alive.

Archived