Unconventional opinions dumpsterfire of a thread

Alyn Oakenfist

2 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Necromancy brought the dragons back to life.  The ceremony took the spirits of Khal Drogo, Viserys, and Rhaego from death.  Their souls brought the dragons back to life.  The people of Asshai have been attempting the same magic.  This is why there are no children and animals in the city.  They have so far been unsuccessful in the hatching of petrified dragon eggs and yet they keep sacrificing.

That's not really an unpopular opinion, especially if you watch Glidus

- Blooderaven is not the 3EC. Bran is and has always been.

- Just because that between Rhaegar and Elia was a political match to put an half Martell on the iron throne (sooner or later) and Elia had only produced 2 children, the Martells would have never allowed Rhaegar to have a second wife or official concubine. No matter how "liberal" they are, the risk of a succession crisis would have been far too high

- Ashara Deyne... wasn't so nice as people believe. And Ned didn't like to talk about her, not because of love, or affection, but resentment.

I think she was used like Lysa was used by Littlefinger, in whatever lead to the disappearing of Lyanna Stark. That if Lysa wrote a letter to convince Cat that the Lannister had killed Jon Arryn, Ashara was the one who made contact with and lured Lyanna into a trap. Why?

Because the first consequence of Lyanna's kidnapping was that Brandon Stark - whose particularly impulsive behavior was known after harrenal - changed his plans and instead of going to Riverrun and to Cat, he went to King's Landing. And that's what Ashara wanted, because she was pregnant with his child. 
But just like Lysa, she was only a pawn in someone else's plan. Someone who wanted a war, at least vs Aerys, and Brandon had to die.
Because of that, however, the conversation she had with Ned at Starfall, was probably the same kind of conversation Ned had with Cercei: he didn't seek revenge but offered her to go into exile.
And that's why the Deynes "respect" Ned. Even more so, because in some ways, Arthur's death was more her than Ned's fault.

-  I agree that weirdwood trees are part of the equation that resulted in the creation of the Others, but so are.... not just ordinary skinchagers, but direwolves and their wargs.
It seems to me, that the Whites operate like ordinary wolves lead by a pack of direwolves. See Nymeria and her pack or Summer and Varamyr's pack. 

And see, Nymeria finding Cat's dead body "rise, and come hunting with us" more or less verbatin.

Hunt, right?

Well..  Others and Whites track the smell of hot blood. Just like wolves and direwolves do.
Direwolves and wolves hunt at night. So do the Others and the Withes.

The Others are "gaunt and tall". The direwolves are often described as gaunt and taller than wolves.
The Others make no sound. So do the direwolves.
They are elegant, so are the direwolves. Etc...

And in short, the Others are the Other Starks. 

The good guys will lose the Battle For Meereen.  The harpy will attack from behind.

Petyr's grain will get moldy.  The vale will starve. 

Shireen's greyscale will become active again.  The wildlings will spread the disease when they attack Winterfell. 

Eddard and Howland cheated Arthur Dayne.  They fought dishonorably.

Jon was born earlier and fathered by Brandon on Lyanna.

No redemptions for Jaime and Arya.  Theon, Tyrion, Jorah will go through a lot of suffering before getting their redemption.

Arya will die while trying to steal a dragon. 

Missandei will mature to become a valuable adviser to Dany. 

Tyrion and Bron will reunite.  They attack the eyrie to get Sansa.  Sansa becomes the second wife of Tyrion's to die.  He will marry a third time to Penny. 

Jon Snow will become the first wight to maintain some of his mental functions. 

Craster's son is a skin changer.  The Starks and Craster come from the same family.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:44 AM, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

Lyanna and Mance are Jon Snow's biological parents

Egg was not a good king

Darkstar is part Targaryen

Craster is related by blood to the Starks.  

Interesting. How would Lyanna have met Mance?

Why don't you think Egg was a good king?

22 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Interesting. How would Lyanna have met Mance?

Why don't you think Egg was a good king?

Mance was a wanderer even when he was not supposed to.  Lyanna was known to wander away from Winterfell.  I am proposing they met.  They already knew each other by the time the Harrenhal tournament took place.  Rhaegar's song brought her to tears because she was reminded of her black bard.  It is possible Mance was present at the same event.  Rules and walls cannot confine a sneaky snake like Mance Rayder.  

Unconventional opinion: levels of foreshadowing, symbolism, codes and other literary games are just sensationally high. Every scene super-saturated with meaning. This probably explains why the books take so long to write. In fact, the next books may be impossible to write, because of what has gone before. The Meereenese knot is not just a problem in Meereen.

12 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

levels of foreshadowing, symbolism, codes and other literary games are just sensationally high. Every scene super-saturated with meaning.

100% agree. I have never read a series or books like that before. It's a bit insane, but it's also the part I love the most.

On 4/14/2020 at 6:21 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So what are some of your opinions that don't really match with the rest of the fandom? For example mine would be the fact that I really don't like Catelyn, and find her really annoying and distant to everybody else. She tries to play the mother on everybody, and I mean everybody, be it Robb, Renly, Stannis or Edmure, and seem to have a very ,,fuck you, got mine" attitude to people outside her family. Also her constantly thinking how much she loves Ned, while deflecting all her hatred towards him towards Jon Snow really gets under my skin. So how about you? What unconventional opinions do you have?

Edit: Changed the title to better reflect the multiple shitstorms that have at one point or another taken over this thread.

You don't really want to discuss Catelyn.  Very well.  I won't defend her.   What you want is a list of opinions. 

The white walkers are creatures of the night.  Like vampires who can't live in the sunlight.  They are a natural part of Planetos. 

The ocean levels will go down as the ice piles in the continents.  The step stones will become a dry bridge once again.  The people of Westeros will cross to Essos in order to seek refuge. 

Shiera Seastar died long ago.  She is not Lemore.  Not Quaithe either. 

Littlefinger will marry Sansa and impregnate her.  This will cause an issue when Arya learns the secret of his betrayal against Ned.

Drogon is not the reincarnation of Balerion.  He is one of either Drogo or Rhaego. 

The widow will lead a successful slave uprising in Volantis.

Tyrion and Jorah will never meet their old flames again.  Closures are not needed.

Clegane bowl will not happen in the books.

We may be treated to a dance of the wolves.  The Starks will be fighting over what's left of the north.

Lyana was a calous idiot who deserves scorn and hatred for what she did. Rheagar as well. I think the kidnapping and rape make for a better story than some secret romance. 

I dislike Arya and hope mountain bashes her head in when she goes for "revenge". 

On 5/4/2020 at 12:53 AM, Centurion Piso said:

You don't really want to discuss Catelyn.  Very well.  I won't defend her.   What you want is a list of opinions. 

The white walkers are creatures of the night.  Like vampires who can't live in the sunlight.  They are a natural part of Planetos. 

The ocean levels will go down as the ice piles in the continents.  The step stones will become a dry bridge once again.  The people of Westeros will cross to Essos in order to seek refuge. 

Shiera Seastar died long ago.  She is not Lemore.  Not Quaithe either. 

Littlefinger will marry Sansa and impregnate her.  This will cause an issue when Arya learns the secret of his betrayal against Ned.

Drogon is not the reincarnation of Balerion.  He is one of either Drogo or Rhaego. 

The widow will lead a successful slave uprising in Volantis.

Tyrion and Jorah will never meet their old flames again.  Closures are not needed.

Clegane bowl will not happen in the books.

We may be treated to a dance of the wolves.  The Starks will be fighting over what's left of the north.

That would be very awesome.  Deadly family drama.  Direwolf verse direwolf. 

I'll try to stay as loyal to the unconventional part as possible. 

- Garlan isn't a genuinely good guy but someone playing the game like the rest of his family. I don't think that necessarily makes him evil as I believe Mace has sort of forced his family's hand, but it does make Garlan more devious morally grey as people paint him out to be, especially since the Tyrells put targets on Tyrion and Sansa's backs. 

- Ned failed in some of his parenting duties to Sansa in that he failed to communicate anything with her, let the betrothal go on, and took his daughters to KL even after someone tried to kill Bran and succeeded in killing Jon Arryn. 

- While Dany sympathized with the Unsullied, she also freed them knowing they'd join her as they lacked free will. Additionally, her profiting from the slave markets outside Meereen, enforcing slave labor in Meereen, and protecting Illyrio, a slave owner and trader, makes her a slaver as well albeit a more benevolent one than the rest. 

- Dany's mass murder of 12-year-old (and +) Astapori boys was one of the biggest atrocities in the books and deliberately excluded from the show as they knew the visual of it would make her irredeemable in the eyes of show fans. It was also one of the biggest signs of her eventual descent into villainy. 

1. Theon will survive because all his suffering will lead to what many call redemption. 
  2. Jon and Arya will mate together after they have permanently warged their direwolves.  They will have wolf cubs and fulfill Arya's wish to have her own pack.  Literally a direwolf pack.  Direwolf Jon becomes the alpha wolf.
  3. Gendry will invent his own unbreakable sword but it will take Arya's life to make it work.  So basically he will have to kill Arya to finish the blade.  Arya's fans should take heart because she will get to continue living in wolf form. 
  4. Queen Daenerys Targaryen will eventually build an empire consisting of lands formerly controlled by the Freehold and all lands in Westeros south of the neck. 
  5. Aegon is a paper tiger.  All of the men whose lies will need to be exposed are paper tigers.  Stannis, fake Aegon, and Jon Snow.  They will get cooked for treason. 
  6. Daenerys and her dragons will remain in Essos for many years. Leadership of the Dothraki will give her control over significant parts of Essos.  The western lands will have to be evacuated.  The people of the west will have to cross over to the east. 
  7. Bran will rape Meera using Hodor's body.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:21 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So what are some of your opinions that don't really match with the rest of the fandom?

The whole story mostly.
1:    Jon is Rhaegar's bio-son and the prince that was promised. The song of ice and fire. 
2:    Ned is Dead
3:    Syrio is dead 
4:   The Other's seek to destroy all warmth 
5:   Bran cannot change the past 
6:   Bran is not evil 
7:   Bloodraven is basically a good guy 
8:   The CTOF are basically good guys 
9:   The 3EC and the CTOF are not in league with the others 
10: Euron was never a greenseer candidate 
11: Rhaego is dead 
12: Jon will come back 
13:  Benjen is just benjen 
14: Euron is just Euron 
15: (f)Aegon is legit 
16: The Pink Letter is a red herring to confuse the reader at the end of the book 

53 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:
59 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

The 3EC and the CTOF

if you don't mind, what's that?

The 3 eyed Crow and the children of the forest

59 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

The whole story mostly.
1:    Jon is Rhaegar's bio-son and the prince that was promised. The song of ice and fire. 
2:    Ned is Dead
3:    Syrio is dead 
4:   The Other's seek to destroy all warmth 
5:   Bran cannot change the past 
6:   Bran is not evil 
7:   Bloodraven is basically a good guy 
8:   The CTOF are basically good guys 
9:   The 3EC and the CTOF are not in league with the others 
10: Euron was never a greenseer candidate 
11: Rhaego is dead 
12: Jon will come back 
13:  Benjen is just benjen 
14: Euron is just Euron 
15: (f)Aegon is legit 
16: The Pink Letter is a red herring to confuse the reader at the end of the book 

:agree:Just as a note however I think with fAegon we will never truly know the answer. Also I would add:

- Stannis is not as one sided as people say. For most people he's either THE ONE TRUE KING that will bring justice to all, or a demon spawn who sold his soul for power. So yeah no extremes on Stannis is an unpopular opinion.

- Tyrion is not bad and not a monster.

- Jaime is actually a very heroic figure

- Euron will probably not tame a dragon

- Shaera Seastar is probably long dead, as is Elissa Farman

- The Others will be defeated not negotiated. Like what diplomacy can you have with someone you cannot communicate with?

Archived