Jump to content
The Green Bard

What do you think is the meaning of "Child of Three?"

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
In a scene in the main chamber at the house of the undying Dany experiences the following in her visions:
 
Quote

. . . mother of dragons . . . child of three . . .

"Three?" She did not understand.

. . . three heads has the dragon . . . the ghost chorus yammered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air. . . . mother of dragons . . . child of storm . . . The whispers became a swirling song. . . . three fires must you light . . . one for life and one for death and one to love . . . Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt . . . three mounts must you ride . . . one to bed and one to dread and one to love . . . The voices were growing louder, she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and even her breath. . . . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

 
I still can't make much sense of this passage. How does the last paragraph make her a child of three? Will she be changed by each of these three sets of three experiences, making her the child of, the product of them? I am not sure this is the best way to interpret it, but it is all I have at this point.
 
I am also torn at to the question of whether past events count for possibilities for each event.  Does the treason of MMD, for instance, qualify even though it happened in the past and she knew about it then too.  To state it more clearly, to these need to be new treasons, fires, and mounts? or do past ones count?
 
What are your thoughts?  I'd welcome any and all input as to how you interpret this part of the scene.
Edited by The Green Bard
removing a redundant word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just don't know yet. This is a rather strange claim. One could perhaps see as the child of three worlds - Westeros, where her parents lived, the Dothraki, where she grew up, and the slaves she freed. Or perhaps the Valyrians from whom she is descended, the Westerosi among who she was born, and the Dothraki where she grew up. But it is difficult to figure that out since it is just so vague and it is unclear whether that revolves around potent prophecy stuff or whether it is just some fancy talk.

I've also no idea what the hell to drink for the cup of fire and the cup of ice means - aside from the fact that she is going to hang out with Jon and will fight the Others.

We don't know about the treasons, either. Could be that Mirri was the one for blood - the point to decide that would when we figured out who the treason for gold was, assuming they happen in the given order (which isn't clear, either). If there are then no other betrayals indicating a betrayal for blood we could assume Mirri was the one.

We can say that the Silver was the first mount - to bed, i.e. her wedding bed with Drogo under the stars - and the one to dread must be Drogon who she has acquired, too. What the mount to love is, is completely unclear. I'm pretty sure, though, that this would be something revolving around Jon Snow, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

This is a rather strange claim. One could perhaps see as the child of three worlds - Westeros, where her parents lived, the Dothraki, where she grew up, and the slaves she freed. Or perhaps the Valyrians from whom she is descended, the Westerosi among who she was born, and the Dothraki where she grew up. But it is difficult to figure that out since it is just so vague and it is unclear whether that revolves around potent prophecy stuff or whether it is just some fancy talk.

I'd never considered the child of 3 cultures angle.  I suppose it could be part of it.  Like is said before, I can only think the three she is the child is is all the collective 3's that come in that next paragraph.  Like Daenerys, though. I don't think I understand. 

Thanks for pointing out the cup of fire cup of ice thing.  since it was before child of three, I suppose it could be related, but since there's no three, I am focusing on the stuff that follows.  

As to the future  / past issues, I suppose the funeral Pyre brought the dragons to life, so maybe the past is included.  I can't think of how she might light another fire for life, unless its to save people from the others. bt still, she'd be burning wigts and wouldn't that be "for death".  I suppose the one for death might be very soon in winds wen she kills that Dothraki Khal / Ko she's so recently been reunited with, And how can you light a fire to love?  Maybe that is the one against the others, and it if to be loved by everyone on her side of the battle, giving them courage and hope.

I am beginning to think that @PoorQuentyn was right on notacast, that this scene is the product of bad 'shrooms.   

I think that Jorah's betrayal might count as the one for love.  The love of home.

I guess we can say the Silver, Drogon, and Jon are her mounts.  But why is only Jon counted as a sexual mount, and not Drogo, Daario, and Hizdahr whom she's already slept with.  Indeed  Dany mounted Drogo specifically in a scene under the stars, not in a tent.  Shouldn't we think that that mount might be more likely to be known by a collective consciousness like the undying?  as to Hizdahr and Daario, I guess we need to assume that GRRM hadn't yet conceived of their characters when he wrote ACoK.  Still, if a sexualy mount counts, why not Drogo?  She certainly dreaded sex with him for a time, and loved him later.

Edited by The Green Bard
pronoun / proper noun correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Child of 3 may be an indication she follows similar symbolism as Chimera Tyrion.   
Perhaps being the offspring of a mother and 2 fathers.  

Drinking from both cups is likely a reference to being wed to both sets of trees. 
Shadewood and Weirwood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could also be ''child of (a group of) three'' meaning Dany, Viserys, Rhaegar, which is another explanation I've come across. But also right after that the ghosts say ''three heads has the dragon'' so maybe it's connected to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought the “child of three” thing has to do w/ who Dany will become. Nothing to do w/ good or bad, just that all these experiences - the fires, the mounts, and the treasons - will shape her in a meaningful way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The "Child of Three" is her identity.  

  • Child of Three - Daughter of House Targaryen.  The family dynasty was founded by Visenya, Aegon, and Rhaenys.  Three siblings.
  • Westeros was forged with the help of three dragons.  Balerion, Vhagar, and Meraxas.
  • Her house banner has Three dragons.
  • Azor Ahai - Daenerys is Azor Ahai and the number three plays a prominent role in her life as it did the past versions of Azor Ahai.
  • Slayer of Lies, Mother of Dragons, Bride of Fire.  She will "slay the lies" of the three Azor Ahai pretenders: Stannis B, Jon Snow, and fAegon.  She is the mother to three dragons.  She will marry three times.
  • Three Bloodriders.  
  • Third living child of King Aerys II and Queen Rhaella.
  • Ruler of Three.  She is predicted to rule three people:  Westerosi, Dothraki, and Ghiscari.  
  • Three Sacrifices for her rebirth.  King Viserys III, Khal Drogo, Prince Rhaego I.  Or for those who believe she was born at the Tower of Joy, three KG gave up their lives.  
  • Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal.  Her three children.  The souls of the three most important men in her life: Drogo, Viserys, and Rheago.  They watch over her as she watches over them.  

"Three heads has the dragon" does not mean multiple dragons.  It is one dragon with three heads.  Daenerys, in her very special case, is the one Dragon (Targaryen) with three very real dragons (Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal).

Edited by Here's Looking At You, Kid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Green Bard said:
I still can't make much sense of this passage. How does the last paragraph make her a child of three? Will she be changed by each of these three sets of three experiences, making her the child of, the product of them? I am not sure this is the best way to interpret it, but it is all I have at this point.
 
I am also torn at to the question of whether past events count for possibilities for each event.  Does the treason of MMD, for instance, qualify even though it happened in the past and she knew about it then too.  To state it more clearly, to these need to be new treasons, fires, and mounts? or do past ones count?
 

What are your thoughts?  I'd welcome any and all input as to how you interpret this part of the scene.

It's who Dany is.  Daenerys Targaryen of the Seven Kingdoms.  She of the Valyrian, Andal, and First Men descent. Oh yes she has the blood of all three.  No the purity went out a long time ago. 

It's not that hard to figure out.  She came from the line of Rhaenys, Aegon, and Visenya.  So she came from three. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Green Bard said:

I'd never considered the child of 3 cultures angle.  I suppose it could be part of it.  Like is said before, I can only think the three she is the child is is all the collective 3's that come in that next paragraph.  Like Daenerys, though. I don't think I understand.

Nobody understands that so far. So that's not a problem.

10 hours ago, The Green Bard said:

As to the future  / past issues, I suppose the funeral Pyre brought the dragons to life, so maybe the past is included.  I can't think of how she might light another fire for life, unless its to save people from the others. bt still, she'd be burning wigts and wouldn't that be "for death".  I suppose the one for death might be very soon in winds wen she kills that Dothraki Khal / Ko she's so recently been reunited with, And how can you light a fire to love?  Maybe that is the one against the others, and it if to be loved by everyone on her side of the battle, giving them courage and hope.

The second fire could have to do with her taking over the Dothraki. It wouldn't be just her feeding a single person to Drogon or something like that, but a fire marking change. Possibly her burning down all of Vaes Dothrak as a sign that the Dothraki are now hers, body and soul, and there is no way back to the old ways. Like with the fire to hatch the dragon eggs this must be a significant event.

The fire to love will have to do with Jon Snow, one assumes, but that's so far in the future that we cannot even guess what it might mean. It could be a huge fire to save him from the Others, leading to their first meeting and them falling in love.

10 hours ago, The Green Bard said:

I think that Jorah's betrayal might count as the one for love.  The love of home.

Jorah's betrayal seems insignificant so far - not to mention that if the treasons are given in chronological order it will be the last. In light of the fact that the best scenario here would be a treason out of love for her (i.e. jealousy on the part of someone) the best candidate here would be Tyrion, in my opinion. But that, too, would be something for the grand finale, nothing we can guess at so far.

10 hours ago, The Green Bard said:

I guess we can say the Silver, Drogon, and Jon are her mounts.  But why is only Jon counted as a sexual mount, and not Drogo, Daario, and Hizdahr whom she's already slept with.  Indeed  Dany mounted Drogo specifically in a scene under the stars, not in a tent.  Shouldn't we think that that mount might be more likely to be known by a collective consciousness like the undying?  as to Hizdahr and Daario, I guess we need to assume that GRRM hadn't yet conceived of their characters when he wrote ACoK.  Still, if a sexualy mount counts, why not Drogo?  She certainly dreaded sex with him for a time, and loved him later.

I had a good and detailed discussion about the visions quite some time ago - unfortunately I don't recall with whom right now - and there was a good case made that the three mounts should be seen as literal mounts rather than as the final one being Jon (although that's certainly a possibility).

After all, since later the Undying accompany the cryptic prophetic talk with vision we seem to be getting Dany's three consorts. Let's look at the later stuff:

Quote

Then phantoms shivered through the murk, images in indigo. Viserys screamed as the molten gold ran down his cheeks and filled his mouth. A tall lord with copper skin and silver-gold hair stood beneath the banner of a fiery stallion, a burning city behind him. Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman’s name.… mother of dragons, daughter of death … Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow. A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.… mother of dragons, slayer of lies … Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.… mother of dragons, bride of fire …

The prophetic talk there seems to be an explanation of the three previous visions. Dany is the daughter of death because Viserys, Rhaego, and Rhaegar died for her.

Dany is the slayer of lies because she will slay Stannis, Aegon, and whoever the great stone beast breathing shadow fire will be (Euron, perhaps?). The latter symbol is completely unclear so far.

Dany is the bride of fire because she will marry three important people. The first vision seems to point to Drogo, depicting Dany's walk to her wedding bed under the stars, the second vision is weird and could possibly point to a Greyjoy, either Euron or Victarion (Hizdahr doesn't show up there at all, it seems), but it is unclear at this point, but the third vision, the blue flower growing from the wall of ice, clearly points to Jon Snow. He will be her final consort.

Going back to 'the mount to love' - it would be weird if Jon were pointed to in the vision two times, once as mount and once as consort to the bride of fire.

Quote

Faster and faster the visions came, one after the other, until it seemed as if the very air had come alive. Shadows whirled and danced inside a tent, boneless and terrible. A little girl ran barefoot toward a big house with a red door. Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon bursting from her brow. Behind a silver horse the bloody corpse of a naked man bounced and dragged. A white lion ran through grass taller than a man. Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed. Ten thousand slaves lifted bloodstained hands as she raced by on her silver, riding like the wind. “Mother!” they cried. “Mother, mother!” They were reaching for her, touching her, tugging at her cloak, the hem of her skirt, her foot, her leg, her breast. They wanted her, needed her, the fire, the life, and Dany gasped and opened her arms to give herself to them …

The later visions don't really offer much nor do they come in triplets. There the only future vision seems to be the one about the naked crones kneeling shivering before Dany (a possible vision to Dany taking over all the Dothraki). The white lion could be Tyrion searching for Dany in the Dothraki Sea on dragonback if it isn't just a vision of the past (the white lion from which Drogo made the cloak he gave Dany). After all, Tyrion does have very pale, Valyrian-like hair and if he ever mounts a Dragon it is very likely it might be Viserion, the white dragon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

The passage is the meaning, there'll be a lot of threes that will be her making.

Yes, this is my initial interpretation too, and so far I still favor it.

8 hours ago, Narsil4 said:

Drinking from both cups is likely a reference to being wed to both sets of trees. 
Shadewood and Weirwood. 

lol,  yes  it was a typo!  To quote Don Jr., "I love it."

8 hours ago, Narsil4 said:

Child of 3 may be an indication she follows similar symbolism as Chimera Tyrion.   
Perhaps being the offspring of a mother and 2 fathers.

Hmm,  I doubt this.  It doesn't strike me as an actual parentage meaning, and I can't think of who the third would be, although I saw some cray tinfoil that Illyrio snuck in and did the deed with Rhaella.

3 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think its just a poetic way of saying she's one of Aerys' three children, Viserys, Rhaegar, Daenerys.

6 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

''child of (a group of) three'' meaning Dany, Viserys, Rhaegar

To me child of three ≠ third child (although it might make sense if you were under the influence of hallucinogens, as Poor Quentyn suggests George may have been in writing this chapter). Further, just a list of her immediate family or a simple reference to her parentage doesn't strike me as all it is, even if it might be partially intended.

6 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

But also right after that the ghosts say ''three heads has the dragon'' so maybe it's connected to that.

That may be more on the mark.  Even as she hatched the dragons, her life is the product of their existence, she is the child of that.  ....  definitely a bad acid trip.  

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

just that all these experiences - the fires, the mounts, and the treasons - will shape her in a meaningful way. 

You and I agree here.  I've seen a lot of agreement on this. Here and on Reddit.

3 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

The "Child of Three" is her identity.

I can't argue with your kitchen sink approach; all these make some sense, and your explanation is certainly less vague than our author's, but I do wonder why your extensive list omits the three treasons, mounts, and fires that are in the quote I provided.  

2 hours ago, Finley McLeod said:

It's who Dany is.  Daenerys Targaryen of the Seven Kingdoms.  She of the Valyrian, Andal, and First Men descent. Oh yes she has the blood of all three.  No the purity went out a long time ago. 

It's not that hard to figure out.  She came from the line of Rhaenys, Aegon, and Visenya.  So she came from three. 

Both these ideas could be part of it.  It does say 3 heads has the dragon, right after, so that may be a reference to the conquerors. 

The other concept, that she has blood of all three races, might have legs, but I don't really see much Andal blood in there when I look at the family tree, save potentially that of house Arryn.  Event there, Emma Arryn was the daughter of a Targ princess herself, so that is only half Andal blood coming in there to Rhaenyra, and most likely her Targ X chromosome.  Either way, her more recent family tree seems much more first men with the house Dayne and Blackwood injections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The second fire could have to do with her taking over the Dothraki. It wouldn't be just her feeding a single person to Drogon or something like that, but a fire marking change. Possibly her burning down all of Vaes Dothrak as a sign that the Dothraki are now hers, body and soul, and there is no way back to the old ways. Like with the fire to hatch the dragon eggs this must be a significant event.

I more or less meant to imply the same thing,trying to be within the rules about references to blind squirrels and broken clocks.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The fire to love will have to do with Jon Snow, one assumes, but that's so far in the future that we cannot even guess what it might mean. It could be a huge fire to save him from the Others, leading to their first meeting and them falling in love.

Yes.  And I more or less agree with this premise.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

if the treasons are given in chronological order it will be the last. In light of the fact that the best scenario here would be a treason out of love for her (i.e. jealousy on the part of someone) the best candidate here would be Tyrion, in my opinion. But that, too, would be something for the grand finale, nothing we can guess at so far.

I am certainly not sold on them having t be in the said order.  For a gardener to be bound to that is a big ask.  Further, the order as written may have been chosen for the sound of the prose alone, not for any chronological reason.  Also, the later bride of fire, slayer of lies, daughter of death prophecies, which are more easily identified, are not really presented in chrono.  

The Tyrion idea is intriguing nonetheless.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I had a good and detailed discussion about the visions quite some time ago - unfortunately I don't recall with whom right now - and there was a good case made that the three mounts should be seen as literal mounts rather than as the final one being Jon

What else is she going to ride?  a direwolf?  A Mammoth?  nd Elk?  or another horse, lol.  I do agree though that some of the prophecies / visions can be redundant under some of the more prominent interpretations, and I like to avoid this in my own interpretations.  

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The latter symbol is completely unclear so far.

My favorite interpretation is that it is Littlefinger.  I had a pretty popular thread on another forum about this paragraph and another user mentioned it  The burning tower is house Grafton in Gulltown, the great stone beast is the Titan of Braavos, the wings his new sigil.  The shadow fire is his lies, (and my added tinfoil is that his lies are sometimes delivered supernaturally, as evidenced by his appearance in Ned's vision in the black cells - this way they can't be overheard by Varys).  This is the only interpretation that I've seen that isn't redundant to one of the other visions in this paragraph.  I do understand that Euron and the hightower might fit, if not for the redundancy with the bride of fire vison.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Greyjoy, either Euron or Victarion (Hizdahr doesn't show up there at all, it seems)

The Hizdahr (and Daario) omission can be explained by the gardener approach; he simply hadn't conceived of either character by this time in ACoK. Victarion seems to be the literal interpretation of the vision, as this scene happens in one of his last chapters (can't recall whether the sample chapter or the last ADwD one).  That said, again, he might have meant it to be Euron when he originally wrote it in ACoK. 

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

A white lion ran through grass taller than a man.

This one I see as Tyrion as well, and Viserion being the mount if that happens.  Although this seems far from an eventuality.

Thx for so much feedback  very interesting ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dany was named child of three, and then child of storm. In my opinion in both cases, three and storm, doesn't literaly mean her parents, it's a metaphor. She's a child of storm because she was born during storm. And she's a child of three because she is descendant of Aegon, Rhaenys and Visenya, those three dragonlords that founded House Targaryen of 7K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well an interesting take on this is that the Undying are greeting not only Dany but Drogon who goes with her in the House of Undying.  Dany is addressed as the Mother of Dragons and Drogon as a child of three.  I don't claim this as my idea.  I came across it on the forums a long time ago and it stuck with me.  Sorry about that.  What is clear is that Dany has no idea what it means and thinks she is the child of three.  Perhaps the treasons have something specific to do with her dragons.   I don't really know. 
 

Quote

 

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys IV

. . . the shape of shadows . . . morrows not yet made . . . drink from the cup of ice . . . drink from the cup of fire . . .

. . . mother of dragons . . . child of three . . .

"Three?" She did not understand.

. . . three heads has the dragon . . . the ghost chorus yammered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air. . . . mother of dragons . . . child of storm . . . The whispers became a swirling song. . . . three fires must you light . . . one for life and one for death and one to love . . . Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt . . . three mounts must you ride . . . one to bed and one to dread and one to love . . . The voices were growing louder, she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and even her breath. . . . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, The Green Bard said:

. . . mother of dragons . . . child of three . . .

"Three?" She did not understand.

. . . three heads has the dragon . . . the ghost chorus yammered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air. . . . mother of dragons . . . child of storm . . . The whispers became a swirling song. . . . three fires must you light . . . one for life and one for death and one to love . . . Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt . . . three mounts must you ride . . . one to bed and one to dread and one to love . . . The voices were growing louder, she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and even her breath. . . . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

Three heads has the dragon is the banner of her house.  This explicitly proves what family she belongs to. 

Mother of Dragons, Child of Storm.  Daenerys Stormborn hatched three dragons.  So the visions are a mix of events that have already happened to lend credibility as well as the future to make them useful.

Three fires.  The fires serve more than one purpose.  Funeral of a loved one.  All three of her husbands will die.  The fires will be their funerals.  Execution of a traitor.  All of the three people who will commit treason will be burned.  Birth of someone to love.  The phrase "only death can pay for life" is very important.  Those flames will kill the traitors.  Their lives will be taken.  But the equation stays in balance because the dead husband gets resurrected in some form.  Drogo got his rebirth and became Drogon.  Viserys and Rhaego also got resurrected into dragons.  Three dragons to love.  What will come out of the second and third flames are mysteries.  Whatever they are, she will love and cherish them. 

Three mounts must you ride.  The silver horse and her wedding night with Drogo.  The mount she took to her first night with Drogo.  Drogo gave her the silver horse.  So the second mount must also be a gift given to her.  We know what that is.  The fleet of ships.  Victarion will die due to treachery.  The perpetrator will be executed.  Something or someone will be born from the flames.  I don't know, maybe Aemon Targaryen gets resurrected into a brown baby Ghhiscari.  Ofcourse she will love the child.  The third flame will follow the  pattern.  Husband 3 dies because of treason.  She executes the traitor by fire.  The husband gets reborn.  If the third husband is Jon, then perhaps he comes back as a wolf cub.  Young Griff, if it's him, comes back as a dragon.  It doesn't matter the reason for the treasons.  The traitors will burn and their lives will pay for the rebirth.

All things of importance to her will come in threes.  Great planning by George. 

 

 

Edited by Big P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LynnS said:

Well an interesting take on this is that the Undying are greeting not only Dany but Drogon who goes with her in the House of Undying.  Dany is addressed as the Mother of Dragons and Drogon as a child of three.  I don't claim this as my idea.  I came across it on the forums a long time ago and it stuck with me.  Sorry about that.  What is clear is that Dany has no idea what it means and thinks she is the child of three.  Perhaps the treasons have something specific to do with her dragons.   I don't really know. 
 

 

Very interesting idea. Personally I subscribe to the concept of three being part of Dany’s identity, most obviously of which the three Targ conquerors and her three dragons. 
However I’m now thinking about what else might have been said to Drogon. Three fires could be Mereen, Vaes Dothrak, KL before he can start being Lightbringer/AA/ fight the Others. However the meanings of the fires are hard to align and the fire for life links up strongly with the pyre hatching. And “three mounts” is difficult to match to Drogon. 
 

my mind also went to another significant triple, the forging of Lightbringer. Maybe the HoD say she is Nissa Nissa to (Jon’s) AA and he forges Lightbringer by killing her. 
Just thinking out loud 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

"Three heads has the dragon" does not mean multiple dragons.  It is one dragon with three heads.  Daenerys, in her very special case, is the one Dragon (Targaryen) with three very real dragons (Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal).

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Davjos said:

Very interesting idea. Personally I subscribe to the concept of three being part of Dany’s identity, most obviously of which the three Targ conquerors and her three dragons. 
However I’m now thinking about what else might have been said to Drogon. Three fires could be Mereen, Vaes Dothrak, KL before he can start being Lightbringer/AA/ fight the Others. However the meanings of the fires are hard to align and the fire for life links up strongly with the pyre hatching. And “three mounts” is difficult to match to Drogon. 
 

my mind also went to another significant triple, the forging of Lightbringer. Maybe the HoD say she is Nissa Nissa to (Jon’s) AA and he forges Lightbringer by killing her. 
Just thinking out loud 

Mount could also be short for mountains or pyramids?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...