What do you think is the meaning of "Child of Three?"

The Green Bard

3 hours ago, The Green Bard said:

I am certainly not sold on them having t be in the said order.  For a gardener to be bound to that is a big ask.  Further, the order as written may have been chosen for the sound of the prose alone, not for any chronological reason.  Also, the later bride of fire, slayer of lies, daughter of death prophecies, which are more easily identified, are not really presented in chrono.

Sure, but it certainly seems that everything is going towards a grand finale there. And the first things - mount to bed, fire for life, possibly treason for blood (if it was Mirri) all seem to have happened already.

And we do have to imagine that George knew who and what he meant when he included those visions. Those would be scenes he really intends to include into the books, no matter. Even if the things changed he would likely adapt them or other, better things so they would still fit with the gist/symbolic content of the visions.

The Tyrion idea is intriguing nonetheless.

Yeah, that's one that's not all that uncommon.

What else is she going to ride?  a direwolf?  A Mammoth?  nd Elk?  or another horse, lol.  I do agree though that some of the prophecies / visions can be redundant under some of the more prominent interpretations, and I like to avoid this in my own interpretations.

Actually, the person who suggested three literal mounts actually thought about an elk - Dany searching for Jon Snow on an elk beyond the Wall.

My favorite interpretation is that it is Littlefinger.  I had a pretty popular thread on another forum about this paragraph and another user mentioned it  The burning tower is house Grafton in Gulltown, the great stone beast is the Titan of Braavos, the wings his new sigil.  The shadow fire is his lies, (and my added tinfoil is that his lies are sometimes delivered supernaturally, as evidenced by his appearance in Ned's vision in the black cells - this way they can't be overheard by Varys).  This is the only interpretation that I've seen that isn't redundant to one of the other visions in this paragraph.  I do understand that Euron and the hightower might fit, if not for the redundancy with the bride of fire vison.

Any interpretation of the third vision there has to presuppose, in my opinion, that this third lie is another power/faction/pretender in their own right, not something/someone adjacent to Stannis or Aegon (i.e. not Shireen or Arianne or Connington, etc.). And since Euron is the one great power/threat aside from Aegon that has been built up throughout AFfC/ADwD chances are pretty good that he might be a fit there.

Only Stannis is a rather concrete depiction there - Aegon is the cloth dragon on a pole in front of a cheering crowd, and the third thing/person is obscurer still.

But, of course, if Euron were this third lie then he cannot be one of Dany's future consorts. Chances are very low that he would be a fit for both those things.

The Hizdahr (and Daario) omission can be explained by the gardener approach; he simply hadn't conceived of either character by this time in ACoK. Victarion seems to be the literal interpretation of the vision, as this scene happens in one of his last chapters (can't recall whether the sample chapter or the last ADwD one).  That said, again, he might have meant it to be Euron when he originally wrote it in ACoK.

Well, neither Vic nor Euron ever are corpses smiling sadly, nor do either of them have bright eyes. And Daario and Hizdahr and a possible second Dothraki consort for Dany (she might marry one of the khals she meets) could still fit that bill if George decided to connect them to this prophetic image only at a later time. Perhaps Hizdahr ends up dead and his corpse is then literally tied to the prow of a ship. But then - a Greyjoy is simply very likely since Aeron was just literally tied to the prow of a ship. And we have to keep in mind that the consorts don't really show up directly in those visions - Drogo isn't seen, instead we see Dany on her way to Drogo, Jon Snow isn't seen, either, instead the favorite flower of his mother growing out of the place where he lives symbolizes him.

Whatever/whoever the second vision here indicates might not actually *be* in in the vision as such but simply connected to the image and what it represents.

Tyrion could work on a certain level as well, if we consider his time on the Selaesori Qhoran. But that's more of a stretch.

This one I see as Tyrion as well, and Viserion being the mount if that happens.  Although this seems far from an eventuality.

Oh, chances are pretty good for Tyrion to become a dragonrider, regardless who his true father is. That kind of thing was hinted at since AGoT.

Thx for so much feedback  very interesting ideas.

You started a pretty interesting topic.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

And we do have to imagine that George knew who and what he meant when he included those visions.

Yes, I agree he must have had a pretty good idea at the time.  Hopefully he keep a rosetta stone for himself though, its been a long time since he wrote ACoK.  I will point to the bride of fire as plot creep, to have the vision fit Vic, probably had meant Euron, and Daario and Hizdahr get left out.

Actually, the person who suggested three literal mounts actually thought about an elk - Dany searching for Jon Snow on an elk beyond the Wall.

Very cool ... great minds think alike!

Any interpretation of the third vision there has to presuppose, in my opinion, that this third lie is another power/faction/pretender in their own right

Any Littlefinger is a faction in his own right.  I think it is THE correct interpretation here, and we both agree that Euron seems ono of the bride of fire ones.  

Well, neither Vic nor Euron ever are corpses smiling sadly, nor do either of them have bright eyes

Vic has in my opinion and I place relatively high probablility that I am right about that one.  Let's take the actual quote and not your paraphrasing.

A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly.

He is already a dead man walking.  Like Snape with Dumbledore, it seems that Moqoro has only slowed the infection in his hand.  Indeed I think that part of him is all the way dead.  It is only a matter of time for the rest of his body to catch up.  

The grey lips smiling might just be a play on the term Greyjoy.  But it may also include him thinking happy thoughts.  

being sad is in Vic's character, but if we find a scene where he has sad thoughts, I think that helps as well.

"In his dead face" may just be a call back to him being a corpse, but it could also be a suggestion that he is dead inside.  Both fit Vic. 

bright-eyed (ˈbraitˌaid) ADJECTIVE

1. having bright eyes

2. alertly eager

Now we just need a scene with all this, one where he's thinking conflicting  happy and sad thoughts at the prow of a ship, alert and eager or possibly having bright or shining eyes. If that same scene shows that he is dead inside, we will have a winner. 

Fortunately for me, there is such a scene from the Victarion I TWoW sample chapter:

Spoiler

As he stood on the prow of the Iron Victory watching One-Ear's Merchant ships vanish one by one into the west, the faces of the first foes he'd ever slain came to Victarion Greyjoy. He thought of his first ship, of his first woman.  A restlessness was in him, a hunger for the dawn and the things this day would bring.  Death or glory, I will drink my fill of both today.  The Seastone Chair should have been his when Balon died, but his brother had stolen it from him, just as he had stolen his wife many years before.  He stole her and he soiled her, but he left it for me to slay her.

He is on a the prow of a ship.  Check

He is watching other ships, which should qualify as alert.  His restlessness and hunger for the dawn are certainly eager.  It's also dark just before dawn, so his eyes may very well be shining with torch light or the sun brightening the horizon.  Check

Thinking of death and the people he's killed certainly makes him dead-faced to me.  One might even take the one line to mean he expects to die. Check

All that is arguable against this scene is that his lips aren't actually mentioned, smiling or not.  but the whole Greyjoy pun is in the background Partial Check

We do get plenty of sad thought from him Check

With my establishing above that he is definitely a corpse, I think this is pretty clearly our scene.  

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

regardless who his true father is. That kind of thing was hinted at since AGoT.

Agreed, I'll be at least half right, since I see him as a chimera with 2 biological fathers.  The signs of that are all there for that, too, from the beginning, including this line.

5 hours ago, LynnS said:

Sorry about that.  What is clear is that Dany has no idea what it means and thinks she is the child of three.  Perhaps the treasons have something specific to do with her dragons.   I don't really know. 

So are you suggesting that She is the mother of Dragons, but the second half of the sentence, Clid of three may be address to Drogon, who is one of three hatchlings born together?  That is an interesting take.  I wish you knew who had that original idea.  

34 minutes ago, The Green Bard said:

Any Littlefinger is a faction in his own right.  I think it is THE correct interpretation here, and we both agree that Euron seems ono of the bride of fire ones.

I forgot to think that I expect all the lies to be lies about a fake savior - Stannis pretends to be Azor Ahai, Aegon will pretend to be the promised prince, one imagines (after all, his father thought he was that guy, and people might remember that when things with the Others get worse), and the third lie should be something similar.

Euron doesn't strike one as a possible savior at first and second glance, but George did so much to play up his amiable demeanor and his 'smiling eye' that one really could see him pretending to be a nice guy who would use his powers (and he is likely going to be depicting considerable magical powers) to save Westeros from the dangers it is facing (cruel winter, eventually the Others) once he has more than just a foothold on the mainland.

Many people suspect Euron might be a failed greenseer, meaning he could end up pretending to be the person Bran is trying to become.

Littlefinger might remain a dangerous foe throughout the remainder of the series, but I don't expect him to be seen or present himself as a savior-like figure. Nor do I think he'll put forth a pretender for the ultimate power himself - rather I think he is going to try to highjack one of the existing movements, possibly Aegon's (that would likely get him into trouble).

But in the end I don't think we can decipher that thing yet. It is too obscure and we simply don't have the necessary clues. There will come a scene when the penny is going to drop and we'll understand who/what that thing will be, but it is simply not there yet.

Some people may have guessed right, but that will then be just a lucky guess since this simply is a much tougher nut to crack than Stannis or Aegon.

Vic has in my opinion and I place relatively high probablility that I am right about that one.  Let's take the actual quote and not your paraphrasing.

He is already a dead man walking.  Like Snape with Dumbledore, it seems that Moqoro has only slowed the infection in his hand.  Indeed I think that part of him is all the way dead.  It is only a matter of time for the rest of his body to catch up.  

The grey lips smiling might just be a play on the term Greyjoy.  But it may also include him thinking happy thoughts.  

being sad is in Vic's character, but if we find a scene where he has sad thoughts, I think that helps as well.

"In his dead face" may just be a call back to him being a corpse, but it could also be a suggestion that he is dead inside.  Both fit Vic. 

bright-eyed (ˈbraitˌaid) ADJECTIVE

1. having bright eyes

2. alertly eager

Now we just need a scene with all this, one where he's thinking conflicting  happy and sad thoughts at the prow of a ship, alert and eager or possibly having bright or shining eyes. If that same scene shows that he is dead inside, we will have a winner. 

Fortunately for me, there is such a scene from the Victarion I TWoW sample chapter:

He is on a the prow of a ship.  Check

He is watching other ships, which should qualify as alert.  His restlessness and hunger for the dawn are certainly eager.  It's also dark just before dawn, so his eyes may very well be shining with torch light or the sun brightening the horizon.  Check

Thinking of death and the people he's killed certainly makes him dead-faced to me.  One might even take the one line to mean he expects to die. Check

All that is arguable against this scene is that his lips aren't actually mentioned, smiling or not.  but the whole Greyjoy pun is in the background Partial Check

We do get plenty of sad thought from him Check

With my establishing above that he is definitely a corpse, I think this is pretty clearly our scene.  

The main issue I have with the Greyjoy thing is that George himself wrote himself so much into a corner that he can barely get the Greyjoys and Dany together even if he wanted to. Dany is in the Dothraki Sea, Euron is far away, and Vic will be stuck in Meereen ... assuming he survives the coming battles and the blowing of the horn (which is definitely not a given). If George wanted Dany to marry Euron or Vic one should have expected them to come to Meereen while she was there. Because once she has all the Dothraki the days when she can be forced or persuaded to marry somebody she doesn't want to marry will be over. In fact, those days may have been already over when she mounted Drogon.

And even before that ... the idea that Dany would ever marry Victarion Greyjoy was always ludicrous.

Thus I remain skeptical about the whole Greyjoy angle there. But I have to admit that it is the only thing that can offer some real plausibility at this point.

Agreed, I'll be at least half right, since I see him as a chimera with 2 biological fathers.  The signs of that are all there for that, too, from the beginning, including this line.

With there being two Targaryens (Princess Alyssa and Shiera Seastar) who also had mismatched eyes I don't think Tyrion has to have two fathers. And thanks to his Lannister mother (one wonders why Tyrion's mother had to be a Lannister by birth...) Tyrion remains a Lannister even if his father wasn't Lord Tywin. People could brand him a bastard but they couldn't say he didn't have any Lannister blood in him - something they could say if he had been half-Marbrand or half-Prester or half-Crakehall thanks to his mother.

8 hours ago, The Green Bard said:

So are you suggesting that She is the mother of Dragons, but the second half of the sentence, Clid of three may be address to Drogon, who is one of three hatchlings born together?  That is an interesting take.  I wish you knew who had that original idea.  

Sorry, I don't remember.  It was perhaps a few years ago.  At any rate, we are being asked for ideas or different takes.  This is just one of them.  Changing the frame sometimes yields results.  It's very cryptic and I personally don't know what it means. 

12 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

And even before that ... the idea that Dany would ever marry Victarion Greyjoy was always ludicrous.

Thus I remain skeptical about the whole Greyjoy angle there. But I have to admit that it is the only thing that can offer some real plausibility at this point.

I think that he can wiggle out of the corner you paint him in by saying that it is not necessary that she actually marry them only that they are suitors.  He already broke the bride thing with Hizdahr, and the man has never been on a ship, best I can tell.  Even as I believe the scene I described to be the embodiment of the vision, I don't expect him to marry her.  Indeed I'd say he's a dark horse for the mount to dread, lol, pun intended

With there being two Targaryens (Princess Alyssa and Shiera Seastar) who also had mismatched eyes I don't think Tyrion has to have two fathers. And thanks to his Lannister mother (one wonders why Tyrion's mother had to be a Lannister by birth...) Tyrion remains a Lannister even if his father wasn't Lord Tywin. People could brand him a bastard but they couldn't say he didn't have any Lannister blood in him - something they could say if he had been half-Marbrand or half-Prester or half-Crakehall thanks to his mother.

With Maelys existing and with Joanna being prone to twins, we also have plenty of evidence in the other direction.  Alyssa and Shiera may also be chimera's with the same father.  The only step I am taking is that Tyrion could have 2 biological fathers.  

I forgot to think that I expect all the lies to be lies about a fake savior

Yes, I see your point, but you are assuming an implication based upon the identity of the other 2, but slayer of lies doesn't necessarily mean that implication you are assigning.  Under your assumption I certainly see that Cthuron might fit.  That said, if your implication wasn't intended by the author, I'd counter that Baelish is the biggest liar in the story, so he fits quite well, even if we all want Sansa to take care of him.

There is an extremely easy answer to "child of three" (well it was not that easy, it took some time to pave that path)

No one wants to hear it because it is not an answer people want to hear, especially people spending years over-analyzing Dany's HotU visions.

Hint:

Spoiler

The House of the UNDYING was NEVER about Dany
"drink from the cup of ice" ... "drink from the cup of fire" ... "child of three" ... "child of __________"

If you guys only knew the true power of the Dark Side of ASOIAF! BOOM BOOM DOOM-DOOM!

On 4/19/2020 at 11:48 PM, The Green Bard said:
In a scene in the main chamber at the house of the undying Dany experiences the following in her visions:

I still can't make much sense of this passage. How does the last paragraph make her a child of three? Will she be changed by each of these three sets of three experiences, making her the child of, the product of them? I am not sure this is the best way to interpret it, but it is all I have at this point.

I am also torn at to the question of whether past events count for possibilities for each event.  Does the treason of MMD, for instance, qualify even though it happened in the past and she knew about it then too.  To state it more clearly, to these need to be new treasons, fires, and mounts? or do past ones count?

What are your thoughts?  I'd welcome any and all input as to how you interpret this part of the scene.

Time is an arrow with one direction to the living.  It may not be so to the dead.  The dead can see the whole of time.  See is not the most accurate description of how they perceive time but I can think of no other word.  They don't perceive time as an arrow with a direction.  Those warlocks are the undead.  So they have seen what the dead can see.  I hope this answers your question.  The past is included but whether they are in this case is an unknown.  The past is fair game.  Treasons of the past can be included and they count.  Jaime, Robert, Jon Arryn, are all guilty of treason against the Targaryens.  While they can be included, I'm thinking the first treason was Mirri Maaz Duur.  The death of Viserys, Rhaegar, Aerys, and Rhaego all took place in the past.  So the visions were not only of the future but of the past as well. 

3 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

There is an extremely easy answer to "child of three" (well it was not that easy, it took some time to pave that path)

No one wants to hear it because it is not an answer people want to hear, especially people spending years over-analyzing Dany's HotU visions.

Hint:

Child of three

Child of Storm.  

Dark side.  

She is the child of an orgy involving Darth Vader, Robert Baratheon, and Rhaella Targaryen cosplaying as a stormtrooper?

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

I think it will be something with a double-, triple-, quadruple-, quintuple- or more meaning,

Yes, I am definitely beginning to think there is not one best answer.  Freaking 'shrooms.  

31 minutes ago, Son of Man said:

They don't perceive time as an arrow with a direction.  Those warlocks are the undead.  So they have seen what the dead can see.  I hope this answers your question.  The past is included but whether they are in this case is an unknown.  The past is fair game.  Treasons of the past can be included and they count.  Jaime, Robert, Jon Arryn, are all guilty of treason against the Targaryens.  While they can be included, I'm thinking the first treason was Mirri Maaz Duur.  The death of Viserys, Rhaegar, Aerys, and Rhaego all took place in the past.  So the visions were not only of the future but of the past as well. 

You win the prize!  

Seriously, that is good insight.  It has nothing to do with the Child of three question, but it 100% helps me understand where I am on the question of whether the order matters on these visions or prophecies.  I've always leaned toward the order not mattering at all, but I never knew why I felt this way until now.  Thx! 

Others have argued that Jorah's treason doesn't really count.  I kind of agree, because her really was devoted to her from Vaes Dothrak at least.  

• 3 Mounts are actual living things. She will overcome her fear.  Then ride and control them.  1 and 2 are known.  Silver and Dragon.  The third will be a surprise.  
  • 3 Treasons are betrayals against authority.  MMD is the first.  
  • 3 Fires is a ceremony with multiple purposes.  It burns the dead, gives love, and brings life.  The order can be reversed.  The visions are moving through in reverse chronological order.  

Daenerys could have chosen to execute MMD by any number of ways.  The Dothraki way is by horse dragging.  Why by fire?  Because she needed something living to put on that flame.  She was not about to burn an innocent.  She is one of the heroes after all.  But a criminal who is guilty of treason must be executed and may as well serve two purpose.  So the three treasons will be followed by the guilty getting roasted.  She needs this ceremony to accomplish an important goal.  The first, to hatch dragons from stone.  The first marker of Azor Ahai.  

It is my opinion that Azor Ahai is directly correlated to the three lies.  Stannis, Aegon/Griff, and Jon will be guilty of committing this lie.  They will try to pass off as Azor Ahai and the rightful heir to the Seven Kingdoms.  They are not.  And it doesn't matter to which camp you belong to.  What matters is who The Undying considers the rightful ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.  The Baratheon rule was nothing more than a short Targaryen restroom break because they live so long.  The Targaryens are the real rulers in their eyes.  Slaying the lying posers will finally prove her as Azor Ahai and the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.  

I am on board with most everything you said before this:

1 hour ago, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

Stannis, Aegon/Griff, and Jon will be guilty of committing this lie.

If you are referring to the Slayer of Lies vision, I don't think the third one is Jon.  I think it is Littlefinger, but if not him, Euron.  It needs to fit the vision, and that third vision doesn't fit Jon. He does not do his work in the shadows.  Nothing about him is a great stone beast.  Sur Winterfell burned, but not while he was there.  Sure he might be a dragon, so the wings and breathing fire fit if you squint, but if that offends Dany, it won't be because it is a lie, it will be because it is the truth.  I am sure Mel might proclaim him Azor Ahai, but that would be just another of her many mistakes, not really a lie, and I don't he'll drink the Kool-aid in any case.  And it you think he is not a Targaryen, then the vision doesn't fit at all. 

1 hour ago, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

The Baratheon rule was nothing more than a short Targaryen restroom break because they live so long.  The Targaryens are the real rulers in their eyes.  Slaying the lying posers will finally prove her as Azor Ahai and the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.  

Again, the only things in that vision that remotely fit Jon are the fiery ones and they only fit if he is a Targaryen.  If you think the Targaryens are taking back what's theirs (something that has a long way to go), then Jon is either included or not.  If you don't include him, then he does not fit the vision.  

Eiither way he's not one of the lies.  Nobody is presenting him as a fake Targaryen.

On 4/20/2020 at 11:31 AM, The Green Bard said:

Hmm,  I doubt this.  It doesn't strike me as an actual parentage meaning, and I can't think of who the third would be, although I saw some cray tinfoil that Illyrio snuck in and did the deed with Rhaella.

I was thinking something more along these tinfoil lines..   

Joanna + Oberyn?/Aerys = Tyrion   
Ashara + Arthur?/Aerys = DayneAerys   

On 4/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, Lord Varys said:

Dany is the bride of fire because she will marry three important people. The first vision seems to point to Drogo, depicting Dany's walk to her wedding bed under the stars, the second vision is weird and could possibly point to a Greyjoy, either Euron or Victarion (Hizdahr doesn't show up there at all, it seems), but it is unclear at this point, but the third vision, the blue flower growing from the wall of ice, clearly points to Jon Snow. He will be her final consort.

Going back to 'the mount to love' - it would be weird if Jon were pointed to in the vision two times, once as mount and once as consort to the bride of fire.

It's interesting to me that you could interpret all 3 of the presumed consorts in that vision as fitting the mounts trio.  You can interpret the "mount to bed" line as Daenerys riding Silver to bed, but you could also interpret it as Dany "bedding" Drogo.  And in fact the reference to Drogo in the Bride of Fire section is about her riding Silver.  A Greyjoy husband would make sense as a "mount to dread" and Jon would fit as a "mount to love."

On the question of the Greyjoys, it's interesting that Daenerys has a vision in ADWD where she's with a man with blue & bruised lips and manhood as cold as ice.  Euron's lips are described as blue and bruised in AFFC.  Though in this vision, the lips are described as grey (but as others have said, grey lips smiling could symbolize the name "Greyjoy").

On 4/21/2020 at 7:20 PM, The Green Bard said:

She is the child of an orgy involving Darth Vader, Robert Baratheon, and Rhaella Targaryen cosplaying as a stormtrooper?

You were actually close! A little bit Star Wars, ASOIAF and Marvel!

Darth Vader = Anakin Skywalker = father to the Luke & Leia twins
Rhaella Targaryen = grandma
Robert Baratheon = hammer ... BUT more like STANNis renLY of STORM's End

Spoiler

a hammer and a siren

BOOM BOOM DOOM-DOOM! 
BOOM BOOM DOOM-DOOM! 
BOOM BOOM DOOM-DOOM!
BOOM BOOM DOOM-DOOM!
Ah-ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ah! 
Ah-ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ah! 

I've found multiple meanings in these sorts of dream and vision passages, so I'm thinking that in hindsight, there will a more complex explanation, and possible an evolving one as the story goes on, but I agree with those who say it's just a lot of 3s.

If we take a step back, we get the following sequence:

1. Dany is named child of three to which Dany responds
  2. Like wtf does that mean?
  3. She's shown 3s: 3 heads, 3 fires, 3 mounts, 3 treasons, at which point Dany is like
  4. Seriously, w.t.f.? to which the Undying respond
  5. Good gods are you really this dense? Ok, here's more - at which point Dany is shown more 3s:
    1. Dany is listed of daughter of death. She sees 3. Viserys (shown with his dreams of being king destroyed), Rhaego (the Stallion who Mounts the World destroyed), and Rhaegar (his dreams of love destroyed by death in battle). Destruction and death all. None of these died of old age peacefully in their sleep.
    2. Slayer of 3 lies
    3. Bride of fire, also a 3
  6. In the next chapter, Dany concludes the the child of 3 is lots of 3s.

ACOK Daenerys IV

. . . mother of dragons . . . child of three . . .

"Three?" She did not understand.

. . . three heads has the dragon . . . the ghost chorus yammered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air. . . . mother of dragons . . . child of storm . . . The whispers became a swirling song. . . . three fires must you light . . . one for life and one for death and one to love . . . Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt . . . three mounts must you ride . . . one to bed and one to dread and one to love . . . The voices were growing louder, she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and even her breath. . . . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

"I don't . . ." Her voice was no more than a whisper, almost as faint as theirs. What was happening to her? "I don't understand," she said, more loudly. Why was it so hard to talk here? "Help me. Show me."

. . . help her . . . the whispers mocked. . . . show her . . .

Then phantoms shivered through the murk, images in indigo. Viserys screamed as the molten gold ran down his cheeks and filled his mouth. A tall lord with copper skin and silver-gold hair stood beneath the banner of a fiery stallion, a burning city behind him. Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman's name. . . . mother of dragons, daughter of death . . . Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow. A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire. . . . mother of dragons, slayer of lies . . . Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness. . . . mother of dragons, bride of fire . . .

In her next chapter, she lists the child of three as being a bunch of stuff that comes in threes.

ACOK Daenerys V

The streets grew emptier as they passed through a district given over to gloomy stone warehouses. Aggo went before her and Jhogo behind, leaving Ser Jorah Mormont at her side. Her bell rang softly, and Dany found her thoughts returning to the Palace of Dust once more, as the tongue returns to a space left by a missing tooth. Child of three, they had called her, daughter of death, slayer of lies, bride of fire. So many threes. Three fires, three mounts to ride, three treasons. "The dragon has three heads," she sighed. "Do you know what that means, Jorah?"

On 4/20/2020 at 10:40 AM, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

The "Child of Three" is her identity.  

• Child of Three - Daughter of House Targaryen.  The family dynasty was founded by Visenya, Aegon, and Rhaenys.  Three siblings.
  • Westeros was forged with the help of three dragons.  Balerion, Vhagar, and Meraxas.
  • Her house banner has Three dragons.
  • Azor Ahai - Daenerys is Azor Ahai and the number three plays a prominent role in her life as it did the past versions of Azor Ahai.
  • Slayer of Lies, Mother of Dragons, Bride of Fire.  She will "slay the lies" of the three Azor Ahai pretenders: Stannis B, Jon Snow, and fAegon.  She is the mother to three dragons.  She will marry three times.
  • Three Bloodriders.  
  • Third living child of King Aerys II and Queen Rhaella.
  • Ruler of Three.  She is predicted to rule three people:  Westerosi, Dothraki, and Ghiscari.  
  • Three Sacrifices for her rebirth.  King Viserys III, Khal Drogo, Prince Rhaego I.  Or for those who believe she was born at the Tower of Joy, three KG gave up their lives.  
  • Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal.  Her three children.  The souls of the three most important men in her life: Drogo, Viserys, and Rheago.  They watch over her as she watches over them.  

"Three heads has the dragon" does not mean multiple dragons.  It is one dragon with three heads.  Daenerys, in her very special case, is the one Dragon (Targaryen) with three very real dragons (Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal).

There has never been an individual with three dragons.  There is always a first time.  And Daenerys Targaryen is breaking a lot of new ground.  The way her dragons came into the world is unlike any other dragon birth.  She is literally the mother of the dragons. 

On 4/20/2020 at 3:54 PM, Megorova said:

Dany was named child of three, and then child of storm. In my opinion in both cases, three and storm, doesn't literaly mean her parents, it's a metaphor. She's a child of storm because she was born during storm. And she's a child of three because she is descendant of Aegon, Rhaenys and Visenya, those three dragonlords that founded House Targaryen of 7K.

This and more.  Child of Storm can be rephrased to say Stormborn.  Child of Three can be changed to Threeborn.  She is born from the deaths of King Aerys II, Prince Rhaegar, and Queen Rhaella.  Death pays for life but she is a person of great importance.  It probably took the deaths of three royals to bring Daenerys into the world.  Also bear in mind, Princess Rhaella, Princess Rhaenys, and Prince Aegon died close to her birth.  It is three deaths either way.  I would also quote @Here's Looking At You, Kid , Lord Commander Hightower, Sers Oswell and Arthur died recently.  That's three, three, and three. 

On 4/22/2020 at 5:06 PM, ATaleofSalt&Onions said:

It's interesting to me that you could interpret all 3 of the presumed consorts in that vision as fitting the mounts trio.  You can interpret the "mount to bed" line as Daenerys riding Silver to bed, but you could also interpret it as Dany "bedding" Drogo.  And in fact the reference to Drogo in the Bride of Fire section is about her riding Silver.  A Greyjoy husband would make sense as a "mount to dread" and Jon would fit as a "mount to love."

Yes, I've definitely noticed the exact same thing.  That said, I really think GRRM is casting as wide a net as possible, so I prefer to find interpretations that have as little redundancy as possible.  Ergo, to me the mount to dread is almost certainly Drogon, You might be right about the mount to bed being the silver, but that is still very much tied to the Drogo scene in the bride of fire prophecies. 

I wonder it the Mount to Love is a "wooden horse" or a ship when they finally head for Westeros.   

Alternatively, the mount to bed could indicate a plan for a paramour, which became Daario.  Then the one to love would just be the silver. 

It's very fluid, for sure. 

Archived