What do you think is the meaning of "Child of Three?"

The Green Bard

15 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Drogo is her love. He is thematically her partner. Impulsive, passionate, brave, undefeated, he is like her, they are both fire.

He doesn't build, he doesn't plant trees and he doesn't sit still. Like Dany as she has mostly learnt in Meereen. Like fire their role is to destroy and move on, for others to replenish in the fertile ground they leave behind, hopefully something better than what was before. He rules alone through power, the course Dany chose when she saved Drogo.

He is her sun and stars, she'd never been happier than with him in the Dothraki sea, in the worst of circumstances she hears bells and thinks of him and their being reunited and smiles. She worries about not being cremated to join him in the afterlife. He is, in her eyes, without equal.

Like Jon with Ygritte, Dany's love has come and done, it was Drogo. Jon and Dany will not be about love, that's why it is a mount to bed, she's going to specifically need a Targaryen child. By the time it gets to Jon and Dany things will be heavy into the magic.

The mounts are Drogo/horse, Euron/ship, Jon/Wall. Each a man that will impregnate her, and their symbolic vessel/gift. Drogo is a khal, gave her a horse, and she'll inherit/win a massive khalasar. Euron's a captain, will bring ships to the table and she's going to get a navy out of it.d

Why is Jon and Drogo's order reversed in the bride of fire section? Do you think the treason for love or the fire to love will occur before other aspects of those trios? Do you think it's a coincidence that the fire for life is first? Assuming you also believe that her relationship with Euron will predate her relationship with Jon, do you think it's a coincidence that he's also placed in his chronological order?

Why will she think she'll specifically need a child with a Targaryen father? Who knows if Jon's parentage will even be revealed when they meet.

I know there's a lot of questions here, but IMO they're reasonable objections to this interpretation.

5 hours ago, ATaleofSalt&Onions said:

Why is Jon and Drogo's order reversed in the bride of fire section? Do you think the treason for love or the fire to love will occur before other aspects of those trios? Do you think it's a coincidence that the fire for life is first? Assuming you also believe that her relationship with Euron will predate her relationship with Jon, do you think it's a coincidence that he's also placed in his chronological order?

Why will she think she'll specifically need a child with a Targaryen father? Who knows if Jon's parentage will even be revealed when they meet.

I know there's a lot of questions here, but IMO they're reasonable objections to this interpretation.

No I don't think there's any design in the order but for poeticism, he's ending them on love.

Rhaego died and Drogon was born in Drogo's image. Euron will sacrifice his Targaryen child and Drogon will change in Euron's image, become a non fire breathing stone beast. And so having experienced Drogo/Rhaego and Euron/child, Dany will understand how it works, and believe she needs to sacrifice Jon's child to change Drogon back from Euron into a useful regular dragon with which she can defeat the Others. That's what the mounts are, why they are the mounts, they're the men who father the child sacrifices that shape her mount. And why Jon is just the mount to bed, it is about bloodlines and prophecy and saving the world, not love, she'll just need a dragon blooded father for a child to sacrifice to change Drogon back from the mount to dread, a prince to rebirth her dragon from stone.

On 4/20/2020 at 10:40 AM, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

The "Child of Three" is her identity.  

• Child of Three - Daughter of House Targaryen.  The family dynasty was founded by Visenya, Aegon, and Rhaenys.  Three siblings.
  • Westeros was forged with the help of three dragons.  Balerion, Vhagar, and Meraxas.
  • Her house banner has Three dragons.
  • Azor Ahai - Daenerys is Azor Ahai and the number three plays a prominent role in her life as it did the past versions of Azor Ahai.
  • Slayer of Lies, Mother of Dragons, Bride of Fire.  She will "slay the lies" of the three Azor Ahai pretenders: Stannis B, Jon Snow, and fAegon.  She is the mother to three dragons.  She will marry three times.
  • Three Bloodriders.  
  • Third living child of King Aerys II and Queen Rhaella.
  • Ruler of Three.  She is predicted to rule three people:  Westerosi, Dothraki, and Ghiscari.  
  • Three Sacrifices for her rebirth.  King Viserys III, Khal Drogo, Prince Rhaego I.  Or for those who believe she was born at the Tower of Joy, three KG gave up their lives.  
  • Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal.  Her three children.  The souls of the three most important men in her life: Drogo, Viserys, and Rheago.  They watch over her as she watches over them.  

"Three heads has the dragon" does not mean multiple dragons.  It is one dragon with three heads.  Daenerys, in her very special case, is the one Dragon (Targaryen) with three very real dragons (Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal).

1. 3 elephants stabled below the great pyramid.
  2. 3 serving women in Irri, Jigui, and Doreah.  Doreah has been replaced with Missandei. 
  3. 3 cities of Ghis. Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:26 PM, Jon Fossoway said:

First time I read this, I thought that this means that everything will come against or for Dany in groups of threes, which is a fairly nice manner of arranging the plot, for the author I mean.

Yeah,  That's not far off from my interpretation in the initial post.   Thx and good luck!!

On 4/27/2020 at 12:04 AM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

The fires for life, death, and to love can apply to all.  Take the first fire.  It brought the dragon eggs back to life.  It resulted in the death of a traitor, MMD.   And Daenerys loves the what came out of that fire, her dragon.  The fire brought back something for her to love.  The second and third fires will follow the same pattern. 

I think you're on to something here, although I would say that the love part is that it was Drogo's pyre, for her to say goodbye to her love. 

On 4/27/2020 at 10:17 PM, Dany's Red Comet said:

What do you think is the meaning of "Child of Three?"

The most direct meaning and one that encompass everything already said on this section is destiny.  Daenerys Targaryen is a child of destiny.  I am not referring to predestination.  She has the freedom of choice but she will be required to make choices which will greatly affect the lives of millions.  (Maybe Martin has a little bit of Sartre in him).  She will have to find her own meaning and define her own values.  Stay and free millions from slavery or go to Westeros. 

"Three fires must you light".  I don't think it means it will definitely happen.  She has the power of choice to light the fire or not.  She knows "prophecies are treacherous" and could choose to do something else instead. 

Would you call Mr. Martin existentialists?  The visions are convoluted.  They will not all come to pass.  How come the sorcerers failed to see their own fiery deaths if they were so smart?  The power to see was coming from Dany herself.  It is not common but some of the Targs have had prophetic visions before.  Daenys is known to have this ability.  

15 minutes ago, Rosetta Stone said:

Would you call Mr. Martin existentialists?  The visions are convoluted.  They will not all come to pass.  How come the sorcerers failed to see their own fiery deaths if they were so smart?  The power to see was coming from Dany herself.  It is not common but some of the Targs have had prophetic visions before.  Daenys is known to have this ability.

I agree that Dany is special like her forebear Daenys ... and that they may no all come to pass.  I think the author definitely is making a statement about free will being stronger than fate in this series.  I don't know that I'd call him an existentialist.  I think realist would be a better label, but i don't like labels.  I also think he is a hippie, and he very well could have been under the influence of some kind of hallucinogen when he wrote this, just like his character was with the shade of the evening!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 8:34 AM, Josette DuPres said:
  1. 3 elephants stabled below the great pyramid.
  2. 3 serving women in Irri, Jigui, and Doreah.  Doreah has been replaced with Missandei. 
  3. 3 cities of Ghis. Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen.

3 pyramids

Dragons, horses, and elephants.  That's a lot of potential mounts if the meaning is literal. 

• 2 months later...

A person cannot be held accountable without free will.  

On 4/29/2020 at 7:15 PM, The Green Bard said:

I agree that Dany is special like her forebear Daenys ... and that they may no all come to pass.  I think the author definitely is making a statement about free will being stronger than fate in this series.  I don't know that I'd call him an existentialist.  I think realist would be a better label, but i don't like labels.  I also think he is a hippie, and he very well could have been under the influence of some kind of hallucinogen when he wrote this, just like his character was with the shade of the evening!

Or yeah, George was high when he wrote this chapter.  In which case, yeah, he should get high more often.  That chapter was great.  The best part of Clash to me.  

So getting down to the brass tacks, the Child of Three is Dany.  Daenerys of House Targaryen.  

• 1 month later...

I just see this topic for the first time, and maybe "Child of three" means that he is the blood (not exactly their child) of the three conquerors of Westeros, Aegon, Visenya and Rhaenys. In my reread I tried to find what where belongs in the House of Undying, and after realising that "mother of three" doesn't mean she is directly the biological mother of those three, neither could Dany herself be 3 persons' biological mother. That seems obvious to me, it may not to others, but I think it could be the explanation.

Edit: Thinking about it a few minutes, and it could also be the reverse of "mother of three", Dany herself could be the child of the three dragons, as they develop and entertain her.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:59 AM, Josette DuPres said:

A person cannot be held accountable without free will.  

Or yeah, George was high when he wrote this chapter.  In which case, yeah, he should get high more often.  That chapter was great.  The best part of Clash to me.  

So getting down to the brass tacks, the Child of Three is Dany.  Daenerys of House Targaryen.  

One of the best chapters in the whole story in my opinion.  Most of our interesting prophecies came from that one chapter. 

On 4/20/2020 at 8:31 PM, The Green Bard said:

Both these ideas could be part of it.  It does say 3 heads has the dragon, right after, so that may be a reference to the conquerors. 

The other concept, that she has blood of all three races, might have legs, but I don't really see much Andal blood in there when I look at the family tree, save potentially that of house Arryn.  Event there, Emma Arryn was the daughter of a Targ princess herself, so that is only half Andal blood coming in there to Rhaenyra, and most likely her Targ X chromosome.  Either way, her more recent family tree seems much more first men with the house Dayne and Blackwood injections.

The houses claiming descent from First Men and/or Andal founders are not pure blooded. House Dayne of Dorne, while it claims descent from the First Men probably has more in common  with House Yronwood of Dorne, than with distant houses claiming descent from the First Men, such as House Stark and Blackwood.

Once the Andals came they intermarried with the First Men. Now over a thousand years after the Andal invasion, there is probably not a single pure Andal or First Men Descendant in Southern Westeros.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:31 AM, norwaywolf123 said:

The houses claiming descent from First Men and/or Andal founders are not pure blooded. House Dayne of Dorne, while it claims descent from the First Men probably has more in common  with House Yronwood of Dorne, than with distant houses claiming descent from the First Men, such as House Stark and Blackwood.

Once the Andals came they intermarried with the First Men. Now over a thousand years after the Andal invasion, there is probably not a single pure Andal or First Men Descendant in Southern Westeros.

The amount of intermixing you suggest may be over-estimated.  If you look at the extensive Stark family tree, for instance, you will see no intermarrying with any houses that boast of any andal blood.  I cover in my "kingsblood" series and in my Dany's dragon bonds videos why I think they do so.  I don't doubt that the first men houses of the vale and riverlands, Reach and Westerlands do the same, although in the south certainly there is more likelihood of mixing with Andal blood.

As to the Daynes, they clearly are different, with the violet eyes.  As stony Dornish, the Yronwoods also boast First men blood, so I am not sure what your point is in comparing them to the Daynes.  The Martells do as well.  The infusion of Nymeria's blood (into both houses Dayne and Martell) would not be dilution though, as clearly she is exceptional, most likely carrying the genes that enable the water magic of her people.  The same would go for Targaryen / Valyrian blood into any of these houses, although George has made it clear that house Dayne does not have any Targaryen blood in it. The opposite is true actually; certainly Aerys and Rhaella inherited some Dayne blood through Dyanna and her son, Egg, passing it on to Rhaegar, Viserys and Dany.     

Child of Three is Azor Ahai.  Her importance is not due to being of the royal family but because of something going much farther back in time.  She is a descendant of the Empresses and Emperors of the Great Empire of the Dawn.  She builds the foundation of each new empire after a violent climate change has cleansed the planet.  Her ancestor built the foundations of the Great Empire of the Dawn and fits with her Mother role.  

On 4/28/2020 at 6:19 PM, Amris said:

Rhaella and Aerys had three children: Rhaegar, Viserys, Daenerys

Not other explanation is needed.

That's not to say I don't like the theories above. Some are great.

This is the obvious meaning and shouldn't be overlooked.

But also, there is something important about being one of three children. Didn't Rhaegar at first think he was the Prince who was promised, but later seems to have decided it must be his son Aegon, as shown to Dany in another vision in the house of the Undying.

"Will you make a song for him?" the woman asked.
"He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany's, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads." He went to the window seat, picked up a harp, and ran his fingers lightly over its silvery strings. Sweet sadness filled the room as man and wife and babe faded like the morning mist, only the music lingering behind to speed her on her way.

I've presumed his liaison with Lyanna was partly so he could beget another child. But what if his sibling Dany was to have the role he presumed was his - he had the correct generation, wrong person.

The dragon has three heads I would interpret at most posters do as being three people of Targ blood who may be needed. I'd go for Dany, Jon & Tyrion, but I know there are other contenders.

Archived