Penny Dreadful: City of Angels (Spoilers from Satan's Board-Spawn)

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Guess Vanessa’s death really fucked with his mind...

Heh.  One wonders how long he kneeled at that grave.  Anyway, all I've seen is the pilot as well, and that was awhile ago.  Very tempted to watch the rest..without permission.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:21 AM, DMC said:

Heh.  One wonders how long he kneeled at that grave.  Anyway, all I've seen is the pilot as well, and that was awhile ago.  Very tempted to watch the rest..without permission.

If his evolution down this track continued, you just know that today he’d be lurking on the incel web, and posting #alllivesmatter/#bluelivesmatter on twitter, with the odd #notallimmortals thrown in for good measure.

Anyway, through a combination of lack of time and disinterest in much TV watching right now, i’ll probably watch this weekly. So, second episode (without spoiling since you haven’t watched yet and i’ve specifically quoted you) I again enjoyed, although the first...minute or two, I rolled my eyes and almost shouted at the screen because I was annoyed by what happened. This annoyance was resolved probably a few minutes later, yeah, i’m impatient.

Interested to see where the story will go. 

Watching the stuff with the Councilman, and the police though...oof. Given the events of the last couple of months its pretty damning. This is supposed to be the thirties, it would be nice to say “look how far we’ve come!”

Alas...

The Sister Molly character is based on a real life historical figure, Aimee Semple McPherson...   There's a very similar character called Sister Alice in the new Perry Mason miniseries on HBO, played by Tatiana Maslany.

Sister Molly's mother is played by Amy Madigan, who in HBO's Carnivale, played Miss Adelaide, sister of the preacher Brother Justin, and who was obviously based on the same McPherson archetype.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The Sister Molly character is based on a real life historical figure, Aimee Semple McPherson...   There's a very similar character called Sister Alice in the new Perry Mason miniseries on HBO, played by Tatiana Maslany.

Sister Molly's mother is played by Amy Madigan, who in HBO's Carnivale, played Miss Adelaide, sister of the preacher Brother Justin, and who was obviously based on the same McPherson archetype.

Thanks! I actually knew this, because I have been listening to a review/breakdown podcast (https://www.tvpodcastindustries.com/penny-dreadful-city-of-angels-episode-3/) after each episode, and they sometimes give more context either from their own knowledge or cast/crew interviews etc.

Wow. I just watched episode 4 and what an hour of television. I’ve really enjoyed the show up to this point but this was the first episode that has really had that “can’t look away” quality i experienced with the original series. From the opening scene of Santa Muerta silently watching the indiscriminate slaughter in Mexico right to the end I was gripped. And I don’t think it is coincidence that i felt a lot of similarities/parallels to the original series in this episode. E.g.

The music. There were several scenes where i could hear distinct similarities to the original score, albeit with a twist that suits this new setting.

Elsa and Peter Craft gave off Vanessa and Dorian possession sex and/or Vanessa seducing Mina’s intended.

Creepy Magda child terrifying Craft’s son Tom - definite Madame Kali terrorising Gladys Murray vibes.

Sister Molly giving her sermon - Vanessa at the Seance, though obviously not quite as wild (that scene is just so...i can’t even describe my love for that and the whole Possession episode, my god just silent applause for Eva Green and the entire team for those....anyway...)

Mateo Vega killing the officer - absolutely feeling Dorian and Lily egging on Justine to kill her abuser, especially with both going OTT with the stabbings.

These reminders of scenes I loved from the original series obviously helped keep me engaged but I also felt it was new enough not to be repetitive. And Im loving the perfor,ance of the whole cast, although Nathan Lane in particular is killing it.

Can’t wait to see how this all plays out

48 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Wow. I just watched episode 4 and what an hour of television. I’ve really enjoyed the show up to this point but this was the first episode that has really had that “can’t look away” quality i experienced with the original series. From the opening scene of Santa Muerta silently watching the indiscriminate slaughter in Mexico right to the end I was gripped. And I don’t think it is coincidence that i felt a lot of similarities/parallels to the original series in this episode. E.g.

The music. There were several scenes where i could hear distinct similarities to the original score, albeit with a twist that suits this new setting.

Elsa and Peter Craft gave off Vanessa and Dorian possession sex and/or Vanessa seducing Mina’s intended.

Creepy Magda child terrifying Craft’s son Tom - definite Madame Kali terrorising Gladys Murray vibes.

Sister Molly giving her sermon - Vanessa at the Seance, though obviously not quite as wild (that scene is just so...i can’t even describe my love for that and the whole Possession episode, my god just silent applause for Eva Green and the entire team for those....anyway...)

Mateo Vega killing the officer - absolutely feeling Dorian and Lily egging on Justine to kill her abuser, especially with both going OTT with the stabbings.

These reminders of scenes I loved from the original series obviously helped keep me engaged but I also felt it was new enough not to be repetitive. And Im loving the perfor,ance of the whole cast, although Nathan Lane in particular is killing it.

Can’t wait to see how this all plays out

That is one of my all time favorites.  Your post almost motivates me to try this show, but I'm almost sure I will be disappointed.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

That is one of my all time favorites.  Your post almost motivates me to try this show, but I'm almost sure I will be disappointed.

It's definitely not a scene that approaches that excellence but it does have a similar feeling. I'm probably not conveying what I mean very well. I think the show is worth checking out though on its own merits. Just don't think of it as a continuation of the original.

ETA: ha, and episode five begins with some scenes reminiscent of the season 2 sex compilation where we have Dorian/Angelique, Malcolm/Evelyn and Victor/Lily (and then Vanessa/Ethan getting a tantalising and dramatic staircase stare :lol:

Eta: oh shit, how the hell did I forget to mention the callback to the fabulous Mr. Lyle and “All those photographs. So indiscreet...”

So I'm switching from Comcast to Verizon for cable on Tuesday.  Not gonna get HBO anymore, but their deal for new customers includes free Showtime for a year.  Should be able to catch up, pretty pumped!

Just watched episode six and I feel like for at least the last thirty minutes I didn't even blink because I was so on edge. Damn. Nathan Lane, Adam Martin Rocha and Daniel Zovatto, just fantastic. So much tension and suspense throughout the entire episode with them.

Mamma Vega and Mateo absolutely broke my heart. So moving and difficult to watch.

More original series evoking with Mrs. Craft being committed to the asylum. And to call back last episode for a ment, sex on the grave of the recently murdered "husband" felt very much in the original series style too. I'm thinking Dorian Lily and Justine having a threesome drenched in blood kind of thing (though the closer call back to that is Rio, Bi Rico and Mateo having a threesome after the brutal revenge killing of Riley).

The more I'm watching of the show the more I'm enjoying it just as much as the original. Definitely a very different show, but the mind of John Logan as creator is clearly at the heart of this. He also gave other writers more opportunity to write for this series, as I think he only skipped two episodes or something throughout the original. I don't think doing so has hurt this series at all though (as evinced by this post - this episode was not written by Logan, despite being very heavy on the monologues he so loves).

As a final note on this episode, I am obviously watching after it originally aired on Showtime. Just wanted to point out that this released, as I understand it, the week George Floyd was murdered. Which, well, timely and I imagine made for uncomfortable watching at the time.

Just spent the past 13 hours watching the last 9 episodes.  I don't know why he's calling it Penny Dreadful, because yes, it is so much different than the original.  But it is still an amazing season, incredibly touching.  I'll spare my thoughts til later except to say - I never have been a fan of Nathan Lane.  But my gods, did he show off some top notch chops.  Completely turned me around.

7 hours ago, DMC said:

No.

Did some more digging and people who worked on the production on Reddit indicated that the writers had the 2nd season scripts all or mostly written, and apparently there was talk of a three season plan. Oops.

Will still check it out at some point, if noting else than to compare to Perry Mason.

14 hours ago, Ran said:

The news just hit Variety that Penny Dreadful: City of Angels has been cancelled. Hadn't gotten around to checking it out yet, but have it in my queue. Does it end in a way that works as an ending to the show?

F*ck :angry2:

Well, one of the storylines is definitely over. The others, not so much. It doesn't have a cliffhanger, though. 

I watched episode 1 last week but wasn’t really sold. If it’s cancelled, I won’t bother with the rest. I loved the original series,  not sure why they called this Penny Dreadful.

If you’re going to have a series eith immortals, and thrn a follow-up series decades later, at least re-use some of the characters.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Hey, @HelenaExMachina, you finished this yet?  Pretty much waiting on you.  I want to discuss!

Sorry, had some stuff going on, in the process of moving, haven't been able to watch past the police station episode. Hoping to get back to it this weekend. Happy to discuss to that point for now!

Also, *sigh* at the cancellation. Why can't I have nice things?

17 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Sorry, had some stuff going on,

No worries.  I'll wait til you're done - when binging a season it's kinda hard to cut off discussion based on a single episode and I don't wanna fuck that up.

And if the current state of the world has taught us anything, it's that only a very select few can have nice things.

Archived