Taking it to the Streets - Covid-19 #12

Fragile Bird

14 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Let's move away from the ephemera of Covid-19 discussions and concentrate on the big issues, such as this monumentally wrong statement. Now, I will grant you that Dijon is OK, it's certainly better than American or German mustards, which are characterised by not having any mustardiness about them at all, but the only correct answer is English mustard. I await your retraction and apology.

What is "English mustard" in the states? Colman's or other brands? I'm not sure where I can get it but I'm willing to try. THEN and ONLY THEN will I retract and apologize. I concede that the description sounds more to my taste (spicy!..?). Although, then there is Chinese mustard and, heyooo, I'll take that spice.

1 minute ago, Week said:

What is "English mustard" in the states? Colman's or other brands? I'm not sure where I can get it but I'm willing to try. THEN and ONLY THEN will I retract and apologize. I concede that the description sounds more to my taste (spicy!..?). Although, then there is Chinese mustard and, heyooo, I'll take that spice.

Colman's will do. Your openness to personal growth is refreshing. 

3 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I like mine Tijuana-style, bacon, pico de Gallo, chopped cabbage and mayo.

Mayo is only approved for the following uses:

- Mix with Sriracha

- mix with horseradish

- spread on bread (outside) for grilled sandwiches

- I'm struggling with any other uses ...

Just now, Week said:

- Mix with Sriracha

- mix with horseradish

Roast chicken, sage and onion stuffing and mayo sandwiches, in crusty bread. 

Just now, Week said:

- Mix with Sriracha

- mix with horseradish

Frites. 

Mix with garlic for kebabs. 

25 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Let's move away from the ephemera of Covid-19 discussions and concentrate on the big issues, such as this monumentally wrong statement. Now, I will grant you that Dijon is OK, it's certainly better than American or German mustards, which are characterised by not having any mustardiness about them at all, but the only correct answer is English mustard. I await your retraction and apology.

Um, I don’t think English food trumps any other kind of food. For having such a vast empire at one point, it’s amazing your lot never learned how to make anything good.

3 minutes ago, Hereward said:

In this time of Covid-19 isolation, I have been going out and buying a roasted chicken once a week and have been making toasted roast chicken and mayo sandwiches for lunch or dinner every day.

But I had not considered makinbg stuffing to go with them. That sounds like a great idea!

27 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's very likely that the per capita death rate in the UK will be higher than the US, while Germany will almost assuredly be lower.  So if you're trying to make an argument about "Country X didn't mismanage things, look at country Y!", then you'll probably have options whichever side of the argument you fall on.  Anyone who is really paying attention can see that Trump has totally bungled the COVID response, and whether the UK or Brazil may be bungling it even worse is not terribly relevant. 

Per capita death rate really isn't a good way to be looking at this anyway. Unless effectively the entire population is catching the disease (not entirely out of the realms of possibility but we aren't there yet) it doesn't really tell you a lot. Outbreaks don't happen per capita.

7 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I'll allow it with A LOT of side eye. Mustard would be better. 

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Frites. 

Mix with garlic for kebabs. 

Absolutely not, officer.

In Belgium we are already waiting almost 1,5 hours to the press conference where we will be hearing our how-we-will-get-out-of-the-lockdown strategy. 

It will still take some time because first we have to see the finale of the two very popular Flemish soaps! Jeey! It takes also some time to make the powerpoint.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Um, I don’t think English food trumps any other kind of food. For having such a vast empire at one point, it’s amazing your lot never learned how to make anything good.

Bad food was character building. It is amazing to me that you managed to have bad food and still didn't manage the character building part. Still, even then, fish and chips, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, steak and kidney pudding, Findus crispy pancakes, cockles and vinegar, the Balti curry. You're missing out.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Thats why you have an empire, you get everyone to come over and cook for you.  I've eaten curry in other countries, it sucks ass. 

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Jesus people, everyone knows the hot dog was perfected in Chicago, along with pizza.  End of story.  /close thread, covid over...

I'm sorry, I don't think I know you. But, while I'm not sure a civilised person could pick Chicago out on a map, I'm pretty sure your pizza is an offence against humanity... and the Italians.

19 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Thats why you have an empire, you get everyone to come over and cook for you.  I've eaten curry in other countries, it sucks ass. 

It kinda amazed me how hard it was to find decent Indian food in London/ Manchester ( And yes, I went to Dishoom or whatever)  when I was over there for 6 months. To be fair, what I did find was better than anything I had in the US ( but tbf, I was in Michigan)

So many places that serve Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi food, or 'curries' as people call them ( we don't) leave a lot to be desired - which is weird given the significant South Asian population in a lot of these places.

Archived