Taking it to the Streets - Covid-19 #12

Fragile Bird

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

So many places that serve Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi food, or 'curries' as people call them ( we don't) leave a lot to be desired - which is weird given the significant South Asian population in a lot of these places.

My understanding is that British curry has basically developed into it's own distinct cuisine. Or probably more accurately immigrant communities in the UK have developed it into it's own cuisine. I don't think there's much intention to make 'authentic' Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi food as such.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

My understanding is that British curry has basically developed into it's own distinct cuisine.

That really didn't seem like it to me whilst I was there but I only stayed in two cities ( london & manchester).

26 minutes ago, Raja said:

So many places that serve Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi food, or 'curries' as people call them ( we don't) leave a lot to be desired - which is weird given the significant South Asian population in a lot of these places.

Not really that surprising.

The restaurants (and its owers) have to adapt to their new home/enviroment/market.

You also have to look very hard to find an authentic Chinese restaurant that serves Chicken feet etc.

57 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

In Belgium we are already waiting almost 1,5 hours to the press conference where we will be hearing our how-we-will-get-out-of-the-lockdown strategy. 

It will still take some time because first we have to see the finale of the two very popular Flemish soaps! Jeey! It takes also some time to make the powerpoint.

They already have been talking for zeven hours... 

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not really that surprising.

The restaurants (and its owers) have to adapt to their new home/enviroment/market.

You also have to look very hard to find an authentic Chinese restaurant that serves Chicken feet etc.

I can't speak for Chinese food, but with the Indian food for me it's less about being 'authentic' and more about it tasting good. I've been an immigrant all my life, I'm used to food being adapted and don't mind if it changes from what is considered 'authentic'.

Anyway, we're probably way off topic here already!

50 minutes ago, Raja said:

I can't speak for Chinese food, but with the Indian food for me it's less about being 'authentic' and more about it tasting good. I've been an immigrant all my life, I'm used to food being adapted and don't mind if it changes from what is considered 'authentic'.

Anyway, we're probably way off topic here already!

Perhaps if someone suggested dead virus (viruses? virae? virahtever?) as a topping on a hot dog?

15 hours ago, Jeor said:

I actually dearly hope that it's not an American company that finds the first effective antiviral or vaccine, because you just know they're going to jack up the prices and screw everyone over for it.

I can't see a patent not being quickly and unapologetically being broken in the event of price gouging. I believe there's provisions to do so under international law in the event of health emergencies - African countries broke patents on anti-retroviral medications during the aids epidemic.

The main problem would be petty retaliation from the US, especially if Trump is still president.

ETA: sorry to interrupt the mayo discussion!

Mayo is a reasonable alternative to buttering bread when making grilled cheese. I don't like it as much, but others like it - it's saltier and a smidgen tangier. 

Mayo is otherwise just blech. It brings everything else down. 

47 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The only real use for mayo is potato salad and egg salad, and not a whole lot of it either.

There's tuna salad, too. I do enjoy a good tuna salad sandwich. And I dip my fries in mayo like a goddamn Eurocommie.

@Rippounet

People are offending Mayonaise. Isn't that like declaring cultural war on France?

Anyway...

36 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Mayo is a reasonable alternative to buttering bread when making grilled cheese. I don't like it as much, but others like it - it's saltier and a smidgen tangier. 

Please, at least use Aioli. Aioli at least has some taste.

Sorry, Rippounet, I am also not a huge Mayonaise fan.

29 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

There's tuna salad, too. I do enjoy a good tuna salad sandwich. And I dip my fries in mayo like a goddamn Eurocommie.

O ya, that's right -- I forgot tuna salad -- with lots and lots and lots of celery and sweet pickle diced finely.

However for something not delicious at all, young people who weren't 'really sick' or so lightly ill they didn't even know it, are dying of strokes.  Which is why a friend's heart condition physician hasn't been able to see him in weeks -- he's in the ER and nobody expects him to come out until at least July, so busy he is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

Thomas Oxley wasn’t even on call the day he received the page to come into Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital in Manhattan. There weren’t enough doctors to treat all the emergency stroke patients, and he was needed in the operating room.

The patient’s chart appeared unremarkable at first glance. He was male, took no medications and had no history of chronic conditions. He had been feeling fine, hanging out at home during the lockdown like the rest of America, when suddenly, he had trouble talking and moving the right side of his body. Imaging showed a large blockage on the left side of his head.

Oxley gasped when he got to the patient’s age and covid-19 status: 44, positive.

As Oxley, an interventional neurologist, began the procedure to remove the clot, he observed something he had never seen before. On the monitors, the brain typically shows up as a tangle of black squiggles — “like a can of spaghetti,” he said — that provide a map of blood vessels. A clot shows up as a blank spot. As he used a needlelike device to pull out the clot, he saw new clots forming in real-time around it.

“This is crazy,” he remembers telling his boss.
[....]

Singapore Contained the Coronavirus for Months. Now It Has One of the Worst Outbreaks in Asia.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/04/singapore-coronavirus-outbreak-migrant-workers.html

Despite Singapore’s early vigilance in addressing the pandemic—including extensive contact tracing—the government’s response had a blind spot. The key to what happened lies in how Singapore, a country of 5.8 million people, has treated its 1 million migrant workers.

Singapore relies on foreign labor to build and maintain its gleaming infrastructure. But many of the low-wage migrant workers, mostly from South Asia, live in dense dormitories on the outskirts of the island nation. Rights groups and activists worried early on about the government’s negligence of the migrant population. In March, Transient Workers Count Too, or TWC2, a Singaporean nonprofit dedicated to improving conditions for migrant workers, warned of a potential cluster outbreak in the dorms, where it’s impossible to socially distance. Migrants often sleep 12 to 20 per room, in bunk beds, and they’re packed into the back of trucks on their commute to work each day. Some told the Guardian the shared bathrooms often don’t have soap or enough water for showers or toilets. The group also noted that employer policies often discourage workers from admitting they’re ill or seeking medical help. “The risk of a new cluster among this group remains undeniable,” TWC2 wrote.

Over the past few weeks, as COVID-19 has traveled through the dorms, Singapore has quickly lost control of its outbreak. (While the country was initially worried about a second wave from Singaporeans returning home from overseas, those cases have been largely controlled.) The Ministry of Health said that 982 of the 1,037 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday were migrant workers. About 80 percent of all cases in the country can now be traced to the dorms.

5 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

I can't see a patent not being quickly and unapologetically being broken in the event of price gouging. I believe there's provisions to do so under international law in the event of health emergencies - African countries broke patents on anti-retroviral medications during the aids epidemic.

The main problem would be petty retaliation from the US, especially if Trump is still president.

ETA: sorry to interrupt the mayo discussion!

The other problem if the US is the first one to develop the vaccine is going to be the unrestrained triumphalism of Trump and rubbing it in the faces of other countries. And you know he's just going to talk about how it will bring billions to the country and he'll use it as a blunt negotiating tool for everything and refuse to give it to China or the WHO. So, terrible as it sounds, I hope the US does not discover a vaccine and that it's someone else instead.

Archived