Why was Margaery's bride cloak a Lannister cloak instead of Baratheon? GRRM error?

I'm re-reading, most of the way through SoS. I noticed that, while it's not 100% explicit, it's pretty clear that Margaery's bride cloak was a Lannister cloak, not Baratheon. I don't have the book in front of me but there's something to the effect that it was Cersei's, and Cersei's mother's before her. 

Is this a GRRm screw-up? or is there some explanation I'm missing, or have I misunderstood?

Has this been addressed before in the forums?

I may not remember it correctly, by I think that Margaery once had Lannister cloak and once Baratheon, if I'm not wrong Joffrey used Lannister one, but I'm not sure. The Baratheon cloak was probably chosen, so people want believe Stannis's letter or something, but both young kings were pretty much showing off their Lannister heritage, by for example using both their father's and their mother's houses while being announced at court

• 3 weeks later...

Joffrey's royal Arms were a crowned Stag and Lion Quartered, its explicitly mentioned and commented on, its mentioned that one sigil wasn't enough for the Lannisters.

As far as the actual cloak(the Lannister one)I believe it was the same one used in Cerseis wedding to Robert.

So no in my opinion, not a mistake. It was intentional, even though it doesnt conform to what we think should be the norm.

This is all from memory btw but I'm fairly confident about it.

Right, Margaery wears a Lannister bride's cloak in the Joffrey wedding and then a Baratheon cloak in the Tommen wedding.

When it was time for the changing of the cloaks, the bride sank gracefully to her knees and Tommen covered her with the heavy cloth-of-gold monstrosity that Robert had cloaked Cersei in on their own wedding day, with the crowned stag of Baratheon worked upon its back in beads of onyx. Cersei had wanted to use the fine red silk cloak Joffrey had used. "It was the cloak my lord father used when he wed my lady mother," she explained to the Tyrells, but the Queen of Thorns had balked her in that as well. "That old thing?" the crone had said. "It looks a bit threadbare to me ... and dare I say, unlucky? And wouldn't a stag be more fitting for King Robert's trueborn son? In my day a bride donned her husband's colors, not his lady mother's."

Thanks to Stannis and his filthy letter, there were already too many rumors concerning Tommen's parentage. Cersei dared not fan the fires by insisting that he drape his bride in Lannister crimson, so she yielded as gracefully as she could. But the sight of all that gold and onyx still filled her with resentment. The more we give these Tyrells, the more they demand of us. (AFFC Cersei III)

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2020 at 6:53 AM, Nittanian said:

Right, Margaery wears a Lannister bride's cloak in the Joffrey wedding and then a Baratheon cloak in the Tommen wedding.

Can I just say that Cersei is a bigger villain in my eyes then Joffrey is? Joff ain’t got nothing on Cersei, really, I could talk shit about Cersei for hours on end and not be done. Stannis don’t have to win GOT but god dam that insufferable bitch deserves a long slow death.,

Archived