What really happened to House Velaryon after the regency?

The Merling King

On 4/26/2020 at 11:16 AM, Lord Varys said:

You mean because of the fleet Aegon IV lost in that debacle? Not to our knowledge, but I guess it is likely. However, it seems there would have been a year after the aborted. Elaena married in 176 AC and she waited a year for Alyn's return, meaning chances are that he disappeared in 175 AC, not in 174 AC, the year of the war. Also, I'd be inclined to believe that Alyn Velaryon would have had nothing to do with Aegon IV's stupid plan to conquer Dorne with wooden dragons. I'd not be surprised if he was dismissed by Aegon IV and the Master of Coin who built the fleet for the king was either Alyn's son or grandson or a Master of Ships from another house entirely. One should also keep in mind that Alyn Velaryon taking a second Targaryen woman in marriage as second, third or fourth wife wouldn't be something the Unworthy would have approved. Legitimate or legitimized children from such a union could eventually endanger his own claim to the throne - or the claim of his sons.

It need not be exactly a year after Alyn's disappearance that Elaena was wed to Plumm. It would probably take weeks (after first setting sail, anyway) for the court to learn of what happened to the fleet. The king & princess then discuss it (one way or another) & he gives her about a year to marry someone of his choice, should Oakenfist not return. Even if Aegon arranged the match to Ossifer in that time (not guaranteed, particularly considering the Unworthy's lifestyle & way of ruling), unless the groom was already in capital, it would take weeks for him to come to KL, or for the court to get to the Westerlands.

Furthermore, I tend to believe the Dornish invasion didn't kick off until towards the end of 174. Aegon's first year of rule at least would have been taken up by him coming into the role with his own appointments, pleasures, births, change of mistresses, probable progresses, tourneys/feasts, quite likely the Morgil Hastwyck affair (indeed, the king's conquest of Dorne aspirations may have resulted from the failure of this in addition to, probably, Daeron & Aemon's roles in forcing him to send Barba & her father back to Stone Hedge), etc. Also, the "dragons" & fleet would take (many) months to prepare, perhaps even a year or more.

Agreed that Oakenfist would be more likely to not support the king's folly than do, why I suggested in my previous comment that he may have been essentially bribed to do so. Imo, it's weird that Alyn & Elaena did not wed (if Baela died before her husband, which I lean to) & so, perhaps Aegon IV had yet to give his permission & would only do so if Lord Velaryon add his ships to the royal fleet & likely serve as the admiral. After all, he would be the natural choice - especially with his previous victories against the Dornish for Daeron I - & Driftmark's vessels would be handy/necessary for the effort.

I lean towards Alyn remaining Master of Ships under Aegon IV, if simply for the commencement/continuation of his relationship with Elaena: otherwise, if he wasn't married to Baela any more, then there's more chance for him to have spirited her away to Driftmark & wed her there away from the king's (immediate) reach. That said, he surely spent some amount of time on Driftmark during the Unworthy's reign (besides preparing for the Dorne invasion, if he was involved). Or at least, out of the capital. After all, the man loved the sea & returned to it at the end of the Regency having felt he'd been away for too long. I've mused before perhaps it's these couple of years when Oakenfist had his last great voyage, perhaps a final encounter with Racallio. Mayhaps even sent to the Stepstones (if Ryndoon returned to power there) or the Basilisk Isles (I would die happy if George did this!) by Viserys (such would be handy way to separate Alyn from Elaena for a time if he disapproved of that affair &/or if Baela was still alive) to deal with him.

Anyway, it's certainly a possibility Oakenfist was dismissed by Aegon IV, especially if he was close to Viserys (very likely given their history being good-brothers), Aemon (again, rather probable considering family connections, both veterans of Dorne, & sheer amount of time both at court), &/or Daeron (he would now be his vassal). And yes, Alyn may not have been involved in the Dornish folly at all & only disappeared afterwards. Perhaps even as an effort to save any survivors if they were washed up on the Stepstones or something.

While a son (or some other relation) of Oakenfist being Aegon IV's (first) MoS is certainly possible (& would be very interestingly, particularly if they knew each other from the Conquest of Dorne - Velaryon Jr could have even been a squire to the then prince), I'd lean towards the king rather choosing some non-Velaryon sycophant. Great point however that the Unworthy would not be keen on his (distant) cousin taking a second Targaryen wife! Most definitely that's an (additional) dynastic threat, not to mention Aegon's probable jealousy in such a scenario. It could also play into my theory that the king's possible permission for the relationship becoming a marriage would only occur if the admiral delivered him his own Conquest of Dorne.

Archived