Do the old--and I do mean old--posters still post here?

MeanMrMustard

21 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Whaaaa... a voicechat, Ran? Or text?

---

Hey, Whitestripe. :)

Both, I guess, until we see how it works. Nervous about drama and abuse, but given that you can ignore people... we'll see. 

In any case, now implemented. If you go to account settings, you can now link your Discord account to the board. And then there's a janky widget just beneath the ads (need to figure out why the widget isn't quite working from the people who made it) that if you click should provide you an invite into the Discord server.

I just noticed that the “member since” date on my profile is BS.  I joined well before 2008.  I can remember being in Chat during the 2008 Beijing Olympics with people like Tormund, Triskele, Starkess (who I remember told us she was the same height as Michael Phelps), and I forget the username of the Portuguese-American carpenter who liked to dress well. And I wasn’t dipping a toe in Chat when I was a new fish.  Also I can remember X-Ray and Mr. X inviting me to join an NYC meet-up when I moved from the west coast to NY/NJ in 2007.  I chickened out though and still haven’t met any boarders IRL, not even when the Chicago Con was just a few blocks from my condo.

I lurked from around 2003-ish and must have de-lurked sometime around 2006-ish.  It was not long after I started reading the Malazan series, hence the user name.  I discovered the board when I was working a lot of late evenings (west coast time) waiting for investment models to run, so I was usually online at a time when everyone else had finished posting.

I remember posters like Scot, Hammer, Ztem, Roland, Dalla, Isis, Chataya, Raidne, Sword, Den, Jaime, Tormund, Bones, Tears, X-Ray, Terra, and many others being prolific in my early days.  And some posters like Stego, WhiskeyJack, etc were always to be found in some specific threads.

Edit: And YW and Maya. And Osravan.  How cluod I fgerot Os’ tiypng?

OK, I have to stop editing.  More and more names are coming to me now that my memory is on this track.  Please no-one get offended if you weren’t on the first wave of memory.

I joined in 2001 I think, at the old black ezboard. But I mainly spent my time in chat. *waves at OsChat chatters*. The regular board was a bit scary back then, with dirji etc. being totally brainwashed into supporting the second Iraq war, the concept of "freedom fries" and calling French posters "surrender monkeys"....

3 hours ago, Prue said:

The regular board was a bit scary back then, with dirji etc. being totally brainwashed into supporting the second Iraq war, the concept of "freedom fries" and calling French posters "surrender monkeys"....

That takes me back. I remember cautiously dipping my toe into general chat and getting massively flamed for a post about how perhaps it was for the best that the US had not persuaded the UN to back the war because that might have resulted in the UN being seen as a tool of the US and losing its credibility.

Chats and I met each other last November. Turns out we were both in Montreal for work and our hotels were just a few blocks apart.  We had a nice dinner with lots of wine.  

5 hours ago, Prue said:

being totally brainwashed into supporting the second Iraq war, the concept of "freedom fries" and calling French posters "surrender monkeys"....

Oh boy. I shudder to think what those threads back then would have been like. It makes the current ones seem fairly tame!

As an aside, I feel bad for missing the small London meet up that happened in 2012/2013? I could have made it but timings didn't work out.

7 hours ago, Prue said:

I joined in 2001 I think, at the old black ezboard. But I mainly spent my time in chat. *waves at OsChat chatters*. The regular board was a bit scary back then, with dirji etc. being totally brainwashed into supporting the second Iraq war, the concept of "freedom fries" and calling French posters "surrender monkeys"....

I remember Dirj, KSI, WhiteQueen and some others used to represent a neo-con subgroup.  And we had lots of libertarians for a while, especially Tormund and whatsisname from Alaska (still here sometimes).  And Scot migrated from states rights activist to benevolent humanist.  We’ve lost most of our right wingers.  Monarchists aren’t quite the same thing, sorry Hereward.

There's an archived thread from 2008 that has a lot of highlights from the Dawn Age.

As for me, I'm a noob. I visited some site or another (or maybe a defunct one at the time) for info on R+L=J shortly after the Brit release of AFFC, but didn't make an account until months later. I've lurked pretty much daily ever since.

What I remember most from my early days were the at times ferocious debates on topics like abortion, male circumcision, atheism/religion, gun rights and such. I was in my early 20s then, and this board, and its keen-minded denizens, had a non-trivial effect on how I view things now - not necessarily directly shaping my views, but in a more reflective "Some might see this topic differently, why is that? Is there merit to it?" kind of way.

I also faintly remember LoB's towel burglary story, which was awesome. RIP.

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I remember Dirj, KSI, WhiteQueen and some others used to represent a neo-con subgroup.  And we had lots of libertarians for a while, especially Tormund and whatsisname from Alaska (still here sometimes).  And Scot migrated from states rights activist to benevolent humanist.  We’ve lost most of our right wingers.  Monarchists aren’t quite the same thing, sorry Hereward.

We didn’t lose them. We know exactly where the bodies are buried

I quite miss Flow and Tormund. I disagreed with them about almost everything but they were smart guys willing to spend a really inordinate amount of time politely discussing their opinions with all the people here who vehemently disagreed with them.

14 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I quite miss Flow and Tormund. I disagreed with them about almost everything but they were smart guys willing to spend a really inordinate amount of time politely discussing their opinions with all the people here who vehemently disagreed with them.

Going back even further, Jeff was very similar.

Archived