Do the old--and I do mean old--posters still post here?

MeanMrMustard

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

We have a pretty good ongoing discussion in the “what are you reading” threads, but only a few authors/series have active dedicated threads.  Abercrombie and Lawrence jump to mind, but we definitely get interesting new discussions that pop-up for a while, like Jemisin a couple of years ago.

Hope you’re doing well Ep.  The Exercise threads continue to rumble on with a lot of the same posters.  I think you used to post your marathon training.

I can see what a lot of other people from here (or previously from here) are reading on Goodreads although I can no longer connect all the real names to board names. I wish now that I'd gotten involved in the Jemisin discussions - I did read The Broken Earth, but not until a few years after it was already out. I just miss when something brand new really got everyone excited. Like when Name of the Wind was first published - it's not even to my tastes and I wouldn't have read it if it wasn't a big thing on the board and I don't intend to read whatever book 3 is if it ever comes out, but just the involvement of discussing it was fun.

I'm not sure if I'm doing well or not. Since we haven't talked in at least a couple years, the answer is mostly yes but everything sucks right now. Are you able to work from home fulltime? I hate working from home. I've been running 2-4 miles around my own neighborhood due to general lack of time and energy. I was going to do a 15 miler in Leadville that I wasn't in shape for but it got cancelled. Do you still play soccer? I haven't done indoor in forever. So I don't have anything to post about except the same damn thing every damn day. I am remembering that I like being here though so I'll try to post more often.

mash - my first thought on your mention of Muppet-Broccoli was "Damn, they've been together through two of my serious relationships." I should work on finding my Broccoli.

Ep! One of the distant past distance runners I used to envy the skills of :)

8 minutes ago, Lightning Lord said:

Ep! One of the distant past distance runners I used to envy the skills of :)

Happy to see you! I need to find something else to become board-famous for because I'm out of shape.

10 minutes ago, Eponine said:

Happy to see you! I need to find something else to become board-famous for because I'm out of shape.

If you were about to do a 15 miler without training, you can't be too far gone. I am lucky to get above 5k these days. I managed a marathon in Wellington last summer and now my body is making me think that must have been someone else.

1 minute ago, Lightning Lord said:

You helped me understand a pretty important part of Korea, which has informed a lot of my subsequent teaching. Not sure you're board famous for that, though.

Let's file that under "oversharing". I definitely used to be board famous for that, but being considerably older and more boring and less perpetually traumatized, I will probably refrain from resuming that bit.

2 minutes ago, Lightning Lord said:

Sorry! Edited.

Yay for getting older. It's weird when I realize I am older than many of my students' parents.

Haha, it's ok, I'm not trying to avoid discussing anything. I'm just trying not to be someone who spams the board with personal problems! Contemplating my past existence as a poster, I'm pretty sure I spent way too much time going over all my weird issues in great detail.

I first read Game of Thrones at 19 (so it had already been out for 5 years!) and joined the board at... probably 23? I was a grad student in an unhappy marriage. It feels almost inconceivable to me that I'm the same person now as then. I'm 38. I'm married to a different person, live in a different state, work in a different industry. But I do remember how excited I felt about those first three books. There was a point on the EZBoard when things weren't split into forums. Book and personal and political conversations were all jumbled together and moved so fast it was hard to get a reply.

7 hours ago, Eponine said:

I can see what a lot of other people from here (or previously from here) are reading on Goodreads although I can no longer connect all the real names to board names. I wish now that I'd gotten involved in the Jemisin discussions - I did read The Broken Earth, but not until a few years after it was already out. I just miss when something brand new really got everyone excited. Like when Name of the Wind was first published - it's not even to my tastes and I wouldn't have read it if it wasn't a big thing on the board and I don't intend to read whatever book 3 is if it ever comes out, but just the involvement of discussing it was fun.

I'm not sure if I'm doing well or not. Since we haven't talked in at least a couple years, the answer is mostly yes but everything sucks right now. Are you able to work from home fulltime? I hate working from home. I've been running 2-4 miles around my own neighborhood due to general lack of time and energy. I was going to do a 15 miler in Leadville that I wasn't in shape for but it got cancelled. Do you still play soccer? I haven't done indoor in forever. So I don't have anything to post about except the same damn thing every damn day. I am remembering that I like being here though so I'll try to post more often.

That’s a pretty good update for the situation we’re all in.  Stir crazy comes with the territory right now, but healthy, employed and not actively melting down are all big positives.  And you’re getting more exercise than I am.  Hold on to your sanity for a while longer.

I retired from soccer a few years back.  When I got to my mid/late 30’s it was taking too much time from family on weekends and less fun to play late evening games midweek.  I switched to weight lifting since, which means I have languished like a slug these past two months without gym access.  I’m trying to get a home gym set-up for our new house.  

I think we all lack variety and novelty right now.  I still call my parents for an hour or more each week, but there has been nothing new to say for weeks.  That’s probably why a nostalgia thread was so welcome now.

5 hours ago, Triskele said:

Stubby - This is a sort of rude question, so I apologize in advance, but it comes from not knowing your whole history.

Have you always been a drop bear? 

Everyone is a drop bear down under.

How else is one supposed to spook a kiwi? Did you not see the documentary Lord of the Rings? Those people have some crazy shit happening on their island.

Cute elves though.

I'm around but not very active. Among other things, the show has brought a ton of new people, and while that's fine, the board can no longer be the quiet friendly corner of the Internet it once was at this scale. 

On 5/8/2020 at 2:39 PM, williamjm said:

Coincidentally, I saw on Facebook earlier today that it is their 10th Anniversary.

When I first joined I didn't have an avatar initially and Zak sent me one of his MS Paint drawings which I used as my avatar for a couple of years.

Zak printed up a bunch of those MS Paint drawings and hung them "for sale" at the BWB party at LA WorldCon. None sold during the party, so I "bought" them all (I think I gave him a dollar and a beer, or something like that) and brought them back here. Our last apartment had a long hallway and I hung them along the walls there.

Still have the whole pile but have yet to hang them in this apartment.

25 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Zak printed up a bunch of those MS Paint drawings and hung them "for sale" at the BWB party at LA WorldCon. None sold during the party, so I "bought" them all (I think I gave him a dollar and a beer, or something like that) and brought them back here. Our last apartment had a long hallway and I hung them along the walls there.

Still have the whole pile but have yet to hang them in this apartment.

It's good to know his artwork had found a good home. I remember at the party during my first BWB meet in London back in 2006  Zak's paintings were being exhibited as part of the decoration.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

It's good to know his artwork had found a good home. I remember at the party during my first BWB meet in London back in 2006  Zak's paintings were being exhibited as part of the decoration.

I remember that! The BWB basocally took over part of a pub, and they were hung up inside. I remember him feeling a bit awkward since GRRM’s now-wife showed, and there were pics of Sam’s ‘pink mast’

7 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I remember that! The BWB basocally took over part of a pub, and they were hung up inside. I remember him feeling a bit awkward since GRRM’s now-wife showed, and there were pics of Sam’s ‘pink mast’

It turned out that was unnecessary, given the utter impossibility of ever shocking or embarrassing Parris under any circumstances whatsoever ;)

I do recall that being the beginning of the relatively brief but glorious period of acclaiming Randyll Tarly as the greatest character in the books, as forever immortalised in the MS painting of Randyll's van.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I do recall that being the beginning of the relatively brief but glorious period of acclaiming Randyll Tarly as the greatest character in the books, as forever immortalised in the MS painting of Randyll's van.

I remember we had balloons for the party with the slogan WWRTD? and the people who made the balloons apparently asked what it stood for because they'd been trying to come up with a meaning for the acronym.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Was it a van?

As in the vehicle?

It was modelled on the van in the A-Team if I remember correctly.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:09 PM, Luzifer's right hand said:

Only because we did not believe that Ran exists back in the day. His existence  was only proven at the worldcon in Glasgow I believe. ;)

George Ran Ran Martin

Archived