Do the old--and I do mean old--posters still post here?

MeanMrMustard

Joined in 2001. So old, but still not remotely as old as most of the folks who are thought of as old. They're around on facebook and twitter still, but rarely show up here unless there's major drama.

So really, if you want to get something going, post some stupid shit and watch the old fogeys flock.

I joined - oddly - shortly after 9/11.

I'll never forget my first post elicited my first flame. Courtesy of dirjj. It was something, something, "listen to your elders, your betters." In his defense, I was probably being a smarmy brat. That said ... Ok boomer. :P

I joined either 2001 or 2002, the old ezboard. 2002 probably. I had an Ultima Online character called Derfel Cadarn and a global ezboard account under the name Derfel Cadarn PH, so I just used the same acct.

I usually read the board on my phone which is a pain to type big posts on so I post a lot less.

17 years, though I really didn't start posting regularly until maybe a year after that.  So I'm probably from most people's perspective old.  But in my mind, the old ones are those who lived through the Zorse wars (which were only legend when I joined) and even more so those who date back before the ezboard incarnation of this site.  

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Joined in 2001. So old, but still not remotely as old as most of the folks who are thought of as old. They're around on facebook and twitter still, but rarely show up here unless there's major drama.

So really, if you want to get something going, post some stupid shit and watch the old fogeys flock.

I thought the eesite started in '99, so no one should be that much older really. 

Or am I misremembering and it was the ezboard that started in '99?

Pretty sure it was late 2000 when I joined the ezboard. I had just read Storm of Swords, which was still only available in hardcover (though when I bought Clash of Kings the week before it was mass-market paperback, so it was after whenever that happened) and went online to read theories people had about the Others. I remember it was someone on another forum's thread I was reading that posted a link over to the ezboard for some reason.

26 minutes ago, Fez said:

Or am I misremembering and it was the ezboard that started in '99?

I'm wondering this too.  My second daughter was born in oct of '99 and I'm pretty sure I remember pouring through old book threads throughout the following winter with her snoozing in my lap as an infant.  I don't think I would have ever been on the eesite but I did have a local ezB account from browsing aquarium forums.  I know I was tipped off about ordering SoS from amazonUK in August of 2000 instead of waiting for the US release months later, so I was at least lurking by then.   Though I didn't start this account until 01 or 02.

btw: that infant daughter is currently wrapping up her sophomore year in college. 

According to the first post of The History of the Board thread (which in itself is mostly a copy by Jon Targaryen of an older thread by Ser Camaris):

Peter Gibbs created Dragonstone as the first major ASOIAF community. He had a FAQ and a board. KAH, Revanshe, and Jeff were there when Ran got there. Ran came in 1997 sometime. Dragonstone crashed and never recovered and Peter moved on to real life. Revanshe started a board on eesite and a website with then current information. Revanshe went to medical school and entrusted the board to Ran and the website to LindaElane, Relic and Benjen. We arrived at EZBoard on September 12 2000. So ends the founding. Original Board Members: Peter Gibbs, KAH, Revanshe, Jeff, Markus, Ran, Min, LindaElane, Dirji, snake, Padraig

So it seems the migration to EZBoard happened on September 12, 2000. However, there were multiple iterations of EZBoard. I distinctly remember that when I was lurking back in 2003, the EZBoard iteration was in the same general area as some Wheel of Time boards (I think one of the WoT boards was called Theoryland or something of the sort). When I finally joined in 2004, it was still EZBoard, but a different iteration.

I was 15 when I joined, in 2002. Went to Torcon and Noreascon, in Boston, which were the third and fourth BWB Worldcon get togethers. My Dad had to accompany me to Torcon, and was very well recieved by the board members there. Still have the shirts from each, a dragon skull from Torcon and Hear Us Roar from Boston. Still love the name of the party in Boston, Winterfell but Casterly Rocks. 

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

I feel both old and young at the same time. 

The more I read gen chat, the more this holds true.

And then Bilbo's 'I'm old gandalf' starts playing in my head.

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

According to the first post of The History of the Board thread (which in itself is mostly a copy by Jon Targaryen of an older thread by Ser Camaris):

So it seems the migration to EZBoard happened on September 12, 2000. However, there were multiple iterations of EZBoard. I distinctly remember that when I was lurking back in 2003, the EZBoard iteration was in the same general area as some Wheel of Time boards (I think one of the WoT boards was called Theoryland or something of the sort). When I finally joined in 2004, it was still EZBoard, but a different iteration.

I didn't know that about the EZBoard.  I joined at the very end of the final EZBoard, I think, and I somehow missed the mass migration to this board in November 2005.  I caught up, though, and have been mostly lurking around this place since December 2005.

Coming up on 20 years now, I think I joined the ezboard back in 2000 sometime when I was in high school and now I'm 34 years old, how crazy.

I vaguely remember partaking in a lot of the wargames stuff on the Songs board. The board wargames were great fun but usually never finished properly because everyone usually resigned or packed it in before the final battles could be fought. I do remember playing on a Northern map once (where @Relic I think was leading the wildling team?). And LCT (Lord Commander Tollett?) created a random character called "Jon O'Beans" who was nowhere to be found but had extremely high Poison and Subterfuge skills, and everyone was freaking out about where he was on the map...

I joined ezboard after 1.5 years of lurking around 2001 or 2002, I remember it must have been during my first year of university. There was also a "European" board Beyond the Wall. I remember my great confusion when we migrated and suddenly you could randomly change your username, I guess I lost track of some names. I wonder what happened to OsRavan? The guy was always good for some hilarious threads.

7 hours ago, Altherion said:

Since Ezboard also hosted the boards, they were all on the same version. You could use the same user account for different boards, too, because you registered with Ezboard, not individual forums. The boards were easy to set up and administer but Ezboard kept having massive bandwidth problems. The software was frequently updated to new versions, which would cause outages and data loss. Their freemium business model didn't really work either. 

Generally there seems to be a strong inverse correlation between how long people have been here, and how many posts per year they do.  

Some of the Floobs must do nothing but post here.  I'm sure there was someone who did over 10,000 in their first year. 

19 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Generally there seems to be a strong inverse correlation between how long people have been here, and how many posts per year they do.  

Some of the Floobs must do nothing but post here.  I'm sure there was someone who did over 10,000 in their first year. 

The Game of Thrones show and showrunners won’t insult themselves...

32 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

IIRC it was possible to transfer your post count from ezboard but few people bothered.

Archived