COVID-19 and your life

Fury Resurrected

Has anyone here bought cloth face masks for the general public online? I only have one mask that my sister made and think I should buy some more so I can wash them between uses more effectively. But there are way too many choices and the sites that recommend specific brands all seem to be .com which I am a bit skeptical of. So I am wondering if there is someone reading this thread with expertise or experience who can give me a little guidance on what to order. 

45 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Has anyone here bought cloth face masks for the general public online? I only have one mask that my sister made and think I should buy some more so I can wash them between uses more effectively. But there are way too many choices and the sites that recommend specific brands all seem to be .com which I am a bit skeptical of. So I am wondering if there is someone reading this thread with expertise or experience who can give me a little guidance on what to order. 

Not to be overly flippant, but it does seem like it's getting popular to make masks out of old socks.

I can't tell if it actually works or if a large number of people are just trying to get others to put their socks on their faces. It does at least look workable.

54 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I bought these on Amazon. The only worry is that is says can use up to 5 times, but I have a feeling they last much longer than that. (Only got them last week). Additionally, I washed them once per the instructions, and no thanks, will not use vinegar again. Warm water and soap should be fine.

There are other options but shipping has been slow where I live.

13 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I bought these on Amazon. The only worry is that is says can use up to 5 times, but I have a feeling they last much longer than that. (Only got them last week). Additionally, I washed them once per the instructions, and no thanks, will not use vinegar again. Warm water and soap should be fine.

There are other options but shipping has been slow where I live.

Those are almost exactly what the hospital gave us, and they said we can use them for as long as we'd like. 

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Those are almost exactly what the hospital gave us, and they said we can use them for as long as we'd like. 

I suppose it is better than giving you oranges with cloves stuck in them, as people used to do to keep the plague away.

4 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I suppose it is better than giving you oranges with cloves stuck in them, as people used to do to keep the plague away.

Man it would be really nice if what kept vampires at bay also worked on the virus. This Jew wouldn't even mind wearing a cross, and the garlic would be fairly pleasant, as I use it in many things I cook. 

I don't trust that holy water, though. Rumor has it a BIRD! once bathed in it. 

Friends who are doctors in public health in the Southwest say they put their masks in the oven for no more than a 60 - 90 seconds at 130 degrees, which is enough to disinfect, without hurting the integrity of the mask.

We find supremely ironic that Cuba's successful efforts to so early pinpoint and track the first virus carriers to the island (Italian) is that long ago the deathcultists prohibited cruise ships from going there. Which means those hordes of virus carrying tourists swarming through Havana's Old Town and other spots for a few hours, then retreating again to the ships to do the same thing at other ports of call, weren't there.

Which might explain why Jamaica and Haiti have so few cases of the virus (and Haiti additionally, for having so many Cuban health teams working there for so long already), unlike the Dominican Republic, which is very hard hit -- and whose resorts are very popular with Italians in particular. None of that sort of tourist goes anywhere in Jamaica or Haiti except to these gated, enclosed resorts, from which almost all residents are barred. And at least on Haiti nobody was coming in anyway as the economic-political crisis with bandits and other armed gangs had the island shut down for months already.

Contributing to the irony, read this morning that the EU's guidelines for opening their countries to tourism and travelers will be excluding people from both the US and the UK as these nations are are on the list of those states which refuse to deal with the pandemic in any meaningful way, and therefore their citizens are a danger to everyone else. This list includes Mexicans and Brasilians. 

So much more for my sister to resent about her Spanish - cruise summer vacation being canceled not only for this summer -- "because they've shut down everywhere we wanted to land!" -- but probably for years, considering this nation's continuing melt-down. I wonder if she knows about this. Probably not, when she and horrible hubby only listen to faux noose. Everything is just fine in their Denver suburb -- except her cleaning lady has inconsiderately called in sick and hasn't been coming for a while -- so what is everybody else's problem? Harumph.  Hoax, just hoax deliberately pulled to ruin HER life, because it's all and always about HER.

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Life is funny.

I heard from my host mother from another country before my father, and yet nothing about that is shocking at all. Some things never change.

After getting properly drunk tonight on some expensive Japanese whiskey, I do think I will actually try to be sober for a while. 

And it has a twisted sense of humor.
Sorry about that :/ 
but at least the birthday booze was nice, I gather. 

We ran out of rum yesterday. And gin weeks ago. I need to place a liquor store order. And if I’m at it, I should put together an Aperol Spritz kit for the friend who did my taxes now that I can’t treat her to a lunch as thank you. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

/snip

So much more for my sister to resent about her Spanish - cruise summer vacation being canceled not only for this summer -- "because they've shut down everywhere we wanted to land!" -- but probably for years, considering this nation's continuing melt-down. I wonder if she knows about this. Probably not, when she and horrible hubby only listen to faux noose. Everything is just fine in their Denver suburb -- except her cleaning lady has inconsiderately called in sick and hasn't been coming for a while -- so what is everybody else's problem? Harumph.  Hoax, just hoax deliberately pulled to ruin HER life, because it's all and always about HER.

A lot of people formerly in my Facebook feed see it the same way. The amount of articles shared about the virus’s being a hoax for the political and economic advancement of China (no, the US, no, Russia, no, China after all, but maybe really the US, etc etc) is frightening. Back in March a friend was raging that she had to cancel her trip to Italy and wouldn’t get the $150 deposit back. Surely one’s own health and that of those she might pass the virus to is barely worth $150. :dunno: 

6 hours ago, Ormond said:

I’ve been considering this as well, given that it’s difficult to tell how long masks will be needed. I currently use double lined cotton masks we were given by some charitable individual in my hometown. I have another that I received in the post as a local government contribution, which isn’t double lined. It’s a single layer of cotton and I’m unsure how effective it is, so it’d be great to have a replacement for the handmade one. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

And it has a twisted sense of humor.
Sorry about that :/ 
but at least the birthday booze was nice, I gather. 

I didn't have all that much, really, and haven't had anything today outside of a beer and a last toast.

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

A lot of people formerly in my Facebook feed see it the same way. The amount of articles shared about the virus’s being a hoax for the political and economic advancement of China (no, the US, no, Russia, no, China after all, but maybe really the US, etc etc) is frightening. Back in March a friend was raging that she had to cancel her trip to Italy and wouldn’t get the $150 deposit back. Surely one’s own health and that of those she might pass the virus to is barely worth $150. :dunno: 

Silliness. Several months ago I booked a houseboat for a trip on the Shuswap. 500 deposit, paid for the rest as soon as I got the invoice. Late March I'd decided it was probable it might not work out so started negotiating with the rental company. At first they were all, you've passed the penalty free cancellation period, but extenuating circumstances I say, et back and forth by phone and email for a week or so until we finally settled on them keeping both my deposit and half the rental fee.

I was just happy to get anything back, honestly, because we weren't going and I wasn't going to be responsible for risking the exposure of the kiddos, my father, or myself. Comparatively, the money didn't matter [though fuck me for paying everything more or less upfront, lesson learned] then two weeks ago I finally got my refund [the owner of the company had been stranded somewhere] and contrary to previously agreed they refunded the entire amount less the deposit.

And, said if I book ahead for summer 21, the deposit they kept would be there for me to use again. Was a nice surprise after I'd more or less forgotten about it, but I wasn't bent either way.

I suspect, or hope, that for your sister the disappointment was about more than just the money. My daughters were pissy for a few days when I told them the houseboat trip was off. 

They're children though.

23 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

[though fuck me for paying everything more or less upfront, lesson learned]

Yes, I've learned this lesson too. I always like having everything squared away and no bills hanging over my head, but the economics of this pandemic where refunds are like getting blood out of a stone has taught me my lesson. I have managed to get most of my money back (I had a trip to the US booked in April, and got my flights refunded and hotel costs back, though not without many phone calls and correspondence), but now I've shifted to a "never pay anything before you have to" policy.

Thankfully my flights were not booked with Virgin Australia (our 2nd airline to Qantas) which has collapsed. Any airfares with them are going to be in jeopardy. I was thinking of rebooking my trip to the US for next year but I'm going to wait a while yet.

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

I've shifted to a "never pay anything before you have to" policy.

Hell yeah, Jeor. 

[hey, btw]

Another I've recently learned is how poorly my girls handwashing regimen was. Woah, hey, hold the fuck up, you aren't done yet lol

Re: masks

Not knowing what would work the best I bought us masks from 4 different places. Lead time was anywhere from 3 business days to 3ish weeks due to demand. I chose places that donated masks for each purchase. 

Hyergoods in Brooklyn uses upcycled materials and started making masks. They are by far the thinnest while also being the fastest delivery, no pocket for a filter, with tie wraps. Has children sizes. Wouldn't buy again but will use these ones for walking outside if I know there won't be a crowd and in common areas in our apartment building. Good coverage.

https://hyergoods.com/collections/masks

Pepper Home took roughly 2.5 weeks from placing the order. They are made from canvas, no pocket for filter. However they are thick enough they don't need a pocket. Elastic ear loops. Good coverage. 

https://pepper-home.com/products/mask-purchase

The other masks arrived today so I've only had a chance to wash them, but not take a spin. They each have pockets for filters. Just through inspection I think I like Sock Fancy the best though my Wonder Woman is pretty sweet from Mask Club. Each took almost 4 weeks from ordering. Sock Fancy has children sizes.

https://maskclub.com/collections/all

https://sockfancy.com/pages/cloth-face-masks

Also a few other places have started making masks including Love Your Melon.

https://loveyourmelon.com/collections/face-mask-collection

No doubt local tailor and dry cleaning shops are offering masks. Maybe even some bridal stores. Basically anywhere that does alterations or sews curtains etc I would expect. Even one of the local pizza/restaurants here is offering masks made by one of the employee's mom you can buy with curbside delivery. 

As for MC and I, well...

I managed to get a week of WFH before I was furloughed. I'm in week eight of that. MC is in week seven. We've been under Stay at Home since then. In our studio apartment. All the common areas in our building have been closed for almost ten weeks so if we want privacy it's in the bathroom or the parking garage. We celebrated our 10th anniversary two weeks ago and we marked it by dressing up and MC cooking up a pretty delicious meal. We've been binging Netflix and Amazon Prime - all of Narcos and Narcos:Mexico, Ozark season 3, and all of The Americans, with half of the final season to go. I've managed to focus enough to read again. The first month I just couldn't. Every once in a while I'll just cry for no reason. I attribute that to stress and circling 50. I no longer go to the bathroom to sob because he can hear me - studio apartment. I've come to accept it as an outlet for my anxiety so we just pause whatever is going on until I'm done.

Though the unemployment job search requirement has been waived for Covid-19 I've taken the opportunity to see what's out there. I've had two Skype panel interviews with one place (fingers crossed) and a phone screen last Friday that I really don't expect to go anywhere. 

To limit our trips out to stores we started buying groceries through restaurant supply places like Chef's Warehouse and Baldor. Much like restaurants they've had to change their business model. It's not perfect - you need a $250 min order and some of the sizes aren't broken down enough. You can't get one whole chicken but you can get three. You can get three bunches of kale, not one etc. And of course 50lb of flour (we gave away half). We've split orders with friends to make it work and it's been pretty good so far.

As mentioned up thread sleep has become the mind-killer. I should be asleep now, but I'm not. I needed a nap at 1:30 this afternoon that lasted 90 minutes because I was up at 8:45am to deal with the maintenance crew after being awake until almost 4am after waking up at midnight after going to bed at 10pm. It didn't take long to fall into this cycle of naps instead of sleep once the furloughs started. MC is the same. One thing we don't do enough of is just getting outside and walking. 

Positives have included getting rid of cable to save money. Not having the news on has been calming, all things being relative. We've (MC) also cooked every single meal at home since March 6th. Which also means I'm doing a lot of dishes. A lot. Many. We did get a sandwich from a local shop while we were taking in some sun last weekend. I think we'll order pizza for pickup this weekend.

Northern Virginia isn't opening with the rest of the state on Friday and it looks like some of the DC adjacent counties in Maryland will also hold off on reopening as well. Our (DC) extended Stay at Home order was supposed to end Friday but I expect Mayor Bowser will tack on to at least May 31 but possibly even mid June. Guess we'll see. 

On 5/11/2020 at 3:41 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Wow this seems like the future. How long does it take to get results for these drive-through tests?

First time it took a week.  After a week they reported they had lost my wife's test results and we had to go back in.  The second set of results came in 24 hours.  We both tested negative but our physician said that we had COVID notwithstanding the test results based on our symptoms and recommended self-isolation.  Fortunately we both had mild versions and are mostly fully recovered. 

I've been a bartender or server for twenty years. I absolutely understand and support long-term social distancing. At the same time, I haven't a clue how my industry will survive. It's just such an absolute nightmare for many small restaurants, pubs, coffee shops etc. Places designed to be intimate and inviting. Places designed to be packed with sweaty sports fans yelling at screens. Places that pride themselves on top-notch service. Sure, Applebees will figure out a way.

I work(ed) at a well-respected local restaurant. The owner is around every night, yelling at the kitchen, bullshitting with regulars, irritating bartenders (I mean, sir, helping me, that is!). He barely makes a living himself. The staff is tiny, some working with the man for over thirty years. There is absolutely no way we will survive with 50% capacity. The business in theory might, but the waiters will not be able to survive working half the shifts. I would be able to fit 3 couples or solos at the bar. That's not gonna cut it. Our boss won't be able to earn his overhead back from a half-full restaurant, anyways. The kitchen cannot function with 6 foot spacing - it's extremely efficiently laid out back there already. The restaurant simply cannot exist with what it sounds like will be required for restaurants. 

I can only assume that we will practice extremely lax spacing requirements. The boss is a rabid Trump fan, and I can hear his voice now saying "Aint nobody gonna tell me how to run me shop! Smash em in!"

My parents know this and are terrified for me to go back there. Dad's a super high risk for COVID, and I've effectively been their only outlet to the world for two months. Once I'm working again, I'll have to keep away from their house, and as it stands they need more help every season.

Apologies for a bit of a ramble. I truly have no answers for how small businesses will adjust to gradual phasing. I hear loads of people thrilled at the idea of going out to eat again, or seeing a show, etc. It simply doesn't sound feasible for however many months it'll take to relax spacing and capacity requirements. In the meantime, I'm enjoying this complete hermit lifestyle, I suppose.

4 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Hell yeah, Jeor. 

[hey, btw]

Another I've recently learned is how poorly my girls handwashing regimen was. Woah, hey, hold the fuck up, you aren't done yet lol

Yo - it's been a while @JEORDHl!

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Apologies for a bit of a ramble. I truly have no answers for how small businesses will adjust to gradual phasing. I hear loads of people thrilled at the idea of going out to eat again, or seeing a show, etc. It simply doesn't sound feasible for however many months it'll take to relax spacing and capacity requirements. In the meantime, I'm enjoying this complete hermit lifestyle, I suppose.

I really feel for you! Restaurants, pubs and the like have big overheads and razor-thin margins already, I really don't see how any of them are going to survive with a 50% capacity limit (and it looks some American states are going with 25%). And yet they're the source of so many jobs and a morale booster for society.

I think there certainly will be some demand for them - people are excited to go out, and I think there will also be the goodwill of enjoying yourself but also helping local businesses. Contrasted to that is the newfound frugality of people, but I still think on balance there will be some demand. However, I can't see a profitable business model that halves revenues but does nothing about fixed costs. It sucks.

Archived