COVID-19 and your life

Fury Resurrected

20 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

What's everyone else doing about haircuts?  My hair has gone completely out of control, and so have I.  I've been wielding the scissors like a madman, snipping here and there indiscriminately.  

Same as above.

Though I always did that anyways. 

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

What's everyone else doing about haircuts?  My hair has gone completely out of control, and so have I.  I've been wielding the scissors like a madman, snipping here and there indiscriminately.  

I trimmed my own hair. It was terrifying, but it needed to be done (I bleach my hair, so the ends get very dry and start to split and can't be left too unruly or I'll sacrifice half my hair). Ended up being not so bad! Of course, I would much prefer to let someone more qualified do it, but I generally go for a straight across cut without layers, so not the most difficult to DIY. Also I have wavy hair, so it's forgiving of not getting a nice even line at the ends.

2 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

We invested in a clipper set. Mainly for mine and Little Jax's hair.  My wife does the clipping.  Going to cut tomorrow again actually.  Not a problem since I prefer a buzz like cut. 

I was originally going to say that men have to have an easier time with self-maintaining their hair than women do, but then I look at my husband's hair.  His is naturally curly and thick, so when he looks to me to trim it, I'm like, "er . . ?"  All I can do is blunt trim it and shave his neck.  But then that leads to a thicker and thicker bush that's blunt cut.

Of course, all this may be a moot point in a few months anyway.  I offered to shave my head if the worst happens, but he said I didn't have to.  Whew!  :P 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

I'm letting everything go like a madman with the hopes that I end up looking like Robin Williams from Jumanji

This is the way to go.  I only cut my hair about twice a year anyway, but I've used this as an opportunity to let the beard get unwieldy.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

This is the way to go.  I only cut my hair about twice a year anyway, but I've used this as an opportunity to let the beard get unwieldy.

That just ain't pretty.  Have some pride, man!

1 minute ago, Tears of Lys said:

That just ain't pretty.  Have some pride, man!

I'm proud of its unwieldyness!  From past experience I'm pretty close to the point where it gets annoyingly itchy anyway.  I don't get those guys that can grow wizened old man beards, gets way too untenable for me.

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm shaving my head this weekend, and my son's too. My wife has asked me to clip the hairs on the back of her neck as well.

This is probably where I’m going...my hair grows too damn fast. I look like I’m wearing a mop atm. My gf has offered to trim it, but I’m thinking everyone ought to know what they look like with a shaved head at least once in their life, and as we’re hardly leaving the house, this seems an ideal time. My twins will miss pulling on it, though.

4 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

My wife gave our son and I a haircut.  A layered buzz on the back and sides, with a light trim of top.  Even doing a pointed scissor cut rather than a blunt cut.  She did a pretty good job.  There are lots of YouTube videos giving tips.  I already had a battery powered clippers.  We got a pair of hair scissors and comb on Amazon.

I think we’re due another in a week.

The good news is that my wife only gets her hair cut and styled two or three times a year, and she last had it done in February.  Because an improvised cut is a lot more acceptable on our short hair than on hers.  She is, ironically, the low-maintenance one is this respect.   

I haven't washed my hair in a few days. I have always hated how inconsistent it is, even though what it does is popular here in a weird way. The sides and back are so curly when I just don't do anything with it, but the top is a mangled mess. 

I have great hockey hair, but it was the one major sport I never cared much about, even though I come from the state of hockey. 

At the start of two a days for football, I'd go and get it buzzed, or at least cut very short. Longer hair in a football helmet is hell, at least for a white guy with fine hair. Some of the black dudes swore their hair helped make the blows less worse, especially if you had dreads. 

:dunno:

ETA: I wouldn't cut it though, normally, until basketball training started up. Again, long blonde hair was worthless for the sport. Baseball no one gave a shit about though. That was the season I could just let it grow and do whatever, not that my hair ever let me style it in any normal way.

To be handsome and have really bizarre hair sucks. And as a double kicker it won't look good if I go bald either.  

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I'm proud of its unwieldyness!  From past experience I'm pretty close to the point where it gets annoyingly itchy anyway.  I don't get those guys that can grow wizened old man beards, gets way too untenable for me.

The itchy period really doesn’t last very long.  If you can make it past that you will get used to it and forget you even have a beard most of the time. My current beard has existed in some form for nearly 6 years now.  I’ve trimmed it to various shorter lengths many times over the 6 years, but it’s been that long since I’ve used a razor on anything other than my neck. I do not have a long wizened beard.  I try to keep it somewhere between ‘this guy is trying on a 5 o’clock shadow for size’ and ‘this guy works at a brewery’. One time I went and got my beard trimmed by a professional and I just watched what they did and now I copy it on my own and it’s pretty easy to maintain.  Certainly keeping a non-unruly beard is still easier than the drudgery of shaving everyday.

As for haircuts, I decided get my wife to buzz my head about 3 weeks ago.  I went with a 1 so it was initially pretty fucking short but it’s coming back now.  I’m thinning anyway, so I partly wanted to do it to get a glimpse of my future.  It isn’t terrible actually, which is great because it won’t be that long before I don’t have a choice in the matter.  I’m going to let it regrow to standard length one more time for a final hurrah of being a person with hair on the top of my head before it gets too sad to continue to pretend that the ship hasn't sailed.  I estimate I’ve got 4 or 5 reasonable years left before all my future haircuts are ultra short buzz cuts.  At least now I know that I don’t have a weird shaped head or something and future baldness isn’t quite as daunting as it once was.  Still sucks though.  

5 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I’m rather pleased not to have to see anyone for a while. I was due a haircut shortly after lockdown started and in one of my more stressed and depressed moments decided to just go to town and ruthlessly tried to cut my own. It didn’t go well, though when I calmed down I did manage to salvage it somewhat. Having had time to grow out a little now, its starting to look better. I’ll be booking an appointment as soon as I can though...

10 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I only get mine cut once or twice a year anyway, and I had it done in January. Husband never gets his hair cut (it curls, and after a certain point it doesn't look like it gets any longer). I trimmed his beard when it needed doing.

DD1's hair has never been cut. DD2 has a fringe (because she wouldn't keep slides in, and couldn't see through her hair...). That will need trimming soon.

I have decided to let my hair grow out a bit longer before Corona, and I generally have it only cut once a year anyway, so not being able to go to the hairdresser's was the least important thing about the lockdown for me. I am sometimes surprised how quickly my hair has grown since last cutting it, but then I remember this was a year ago now.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and cut my own hair. I saw the way the wind was blowing and got it cut just before lockdown started and I've just been sat at home anyway so I've just left it so far. It's looking very likely that I'm going to have to go back to work before barbers open back up though.

I'm just going to get some clippers and just shave it off though. I've seen a few videos demonstrating how to try more involved haircuts but I'm not backing myself to not mess it up badly.

10 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I am semi traditional practicing Ojibwe about my hair the last few years. I only cut it when mourning anyway. I haven’t gotten a haircut since Hugo left us New Years Eve (I got a year’s growth length of it cut the next morning). I’m sure my next haircut will be for Guava and not for a least a few more years (he’s 16, Hugo was 20). I always cut my bangs and trim my little side shave myself. I am bemoaning having to color my own hair, but my stylist hooked me up with the products she uses and it’s only this year I started having someone else do it. I’m just spoiled now. The biggest grooming woe is being without my lash extensions. I feel like I have no eyelashes and fuck wearing mascara.

Archived