COVID-19 and your life

Fury Resurrected

Having sore throat, nausea, body aches and headaches. No loss of smell/taste or particularly sniffly nose though. Still, it's got me worried enough that I'm quarantining myself in the guest room and trying to go get tested tomorrow. Knowing that I probably spread it for the last few days if I do have it and might have just killed my son is stressing me very much out. 

10 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Having sore throat, nausea, body aches and headaches. No loss of smell/taste or particularly sniffly nose though. Still, it's got me worried enough that I'm quarantining myself in the guest room and trying to go get tested tomorrow. Knowing that I probably spread it for the last few days if I do have it and might have just killed my son is stressing me very much out. 

Wishing you all the luck.

16 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Having sore throat, nausea, body aches and headaches. No loss of smell/taste or particularly sniffly nose though. Still, it's got me worried enough that I'm quarantining myself in the guest room and trying to go get tested tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that.  Best of wishes to you and yours.

51 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Hope it’s something else, kal

I got myself tested, too - quite mild symptoms for me (sore throat, cough, blocked nose) so it's probably just a common cold but you can never be too careful. Back here in Sydney they said it would take 24-72 hours for a result.

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ah this threads been a good reminder to give my head a shave tomorrow, been doing my own hair for about 4 yrs. It's become so simple I'd never dream of actually paying someone to do it again.

I got a kick out of my salon owner/stylist cousin being so complimary and asking who did my hair at the last wedding reception we were at.

I wonder if she was just fucking with me :lol:

I need a clipper cut myself which I can do at need.  I love going to the barber, though.  Even Supercuts I like.  It's just a nice, calming few minutes. 

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I hope it’s a cold, Kal. Get that test.

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I hope it's easy for you to get a test and it comes back negative.

In our region it's allergy season so it's pretty much the norm for high percentages of people to wake up a little stuffy nosed or scratchy throated. Plus it's raining today so I'm popping my migraine pills.

High fever though, that raises one's concern, biggest scare would be loss of taste/smell, I have never had a loss of taste/smell. Were I to experience that I'm quite positive I would have contracted the virus and be isolating till I got test results.

I've seen messages around town that they have set up one those drive up swab test places that people are mentioning, its free as well, not certain how long they will be offering that service, I believe its through the health department.

A family member is out picking up a thermometer at this moment as they had elevated temperature at work, no loss of taste or smell though, so everyone's still calm, but on the precautionary side.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:57 PM, Fragile Bird said:

I was due a haircut just before the lockdown, but at that point I had been avoiding close personal contacts for a couple of weeks already. After a few weeks I realized the biggest problem I had with keeping my hands away from my face was the fact I constantly needed to brush my bangs out of the way. So I stood in front of the bathroom mirror and tried to very carefully shorten them, using the technique my hairdresser uses trimming my hair. That is, getting hold of some hair between the first two fingers of my left hand and cutting the hair across using the bottoms of the fingers as a guide. It turned out alright, though it did have that freshly cut look that stood out because nothing else was trimmed.

I also could not stand the fact that my hair at the back of my head had gotten too long down my neck and just chopped it by feel. But I used a large round make-up mirror to check the back and saw what I missed and trimmed the straggly bits. It turned out ok.

The biggest decision I have right now is to dye or not to dye.

I always get a short cut for summer, because I am one of those people who sweat at the back of the neck, something that really bothers me. I don't know how comfortable I feel about sitting in the salon chair, yet, though. And my bangs will need a trim again, soon.

I have a full head of hair at 64 years of age and if stubbornly refuses to go grey. I would be much happier with thinning hair now. Damn, but being handsome is a chore. 

I had my first post-quarantine haircut 10 days ago and it actually was the appointment I had scheduled during my last haircut (pre-quarantine), so that was a nice bit of luck - I could just skip ahead of the line of people waiting to get their winter pelts shorn off.

I miss my barber more than I miss my girlfriend, I look worse than my profile pic. Starting from today, here in Italy barber shops can re-open but only on appointment and respecting the safety distance. I wonder how long do I have to wait, since the old man's shop is 2.50m x 4m and he never took appointments before now (if he is reopening at all).

Gave myself a haircut yesterday and it honestly turned out pretty good. I put my electric razor on the longest setting (about an inch) and just stood in my bathtub going over and over my scalp until no more hair was falling down. Its still too long on the back and sides, but I don't know how to do the blending thing that real barbers do. Good enough for video conferencing though, and my head feels better without so much hair on top anymore.

My son and I were able to get haircuts this week for the first time since about late Feb.  I've also been letting the beard grow during all this social distancing and working from home.  It's kind of nice because I usually shaved every morning, etc.  However, it had been quite some time since I let the beard grow much and...I'm kind of shocked by how gray it's become.  I look at myself in the mirror and think "Yeah, I'm old...but I'm not this old!!!":D 

Got the test this morning.

The swab into your brain is NOT FUCKING AROUND. Oy. It's been two hours and my sinuses are still asking what the hell just happened. 

Supposedly 3-4 days, but could be as little as 24 hours. 

Thanks all for the thoughts. In the meantime I've been hiding in my office with a murphy bed away from the whole family. naturally our power went out for 10 hours when I started that, so that was extra fun. 

34 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Got the test this morning.

The swab into your brain is NOT FUCKING AROUND. Oy. It's been two hours and my sinuses are still asking what the hell just happened. 

Supposedly 3-4 days, but could be as little as 24 hours. 

Thanks all for the thoughts. In the meantime I've been hiding in my office with a murphy bed away from the whole family. naturally our power went out for 10 hours when I started that, so that was extra fun. 

My buddy who I played football, basketball and baseball with recorded himself at a drive through testing site. He's also ex-military and covered in tattoos, so he's no wimp, and he was trying hard to see if there was any other way of getting tested. 

The test didn't last long, but you could tell it was hell. 

Archived