Arya’s Crooked Stitches

Angel Eyes

Could Arya’s stitches be crooked for a reason other than her tomboy nature? Arya is one of the few (if not the only) character who is described as being a southpaw. So if she was taught to do stitches right-handed, Arya would of course have trouble doing tasks with a handedness that she is unaccustomed to.

Makes sense. We don't really know how Westeros views left-handedness but I can't imagine Septa Mordane being very enlightened about it.

It might also explain why I was so bad at sewing lessons - well that and the fact that my 10 year old self thought every sewing lesson was an hour of my life I'd never get back.

10 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Could Arya’s stitches be crooked for a reason other than her tomboy nature? Arya is one of the few (if not the only) character who is described as being a southpaw. So if she was taught to do stitches right-handed, Arya would of course have trouble doing tasks with a handedness that she is unaccustomed to.

It could be. But we haven’t heard of people having problems w/ southpaws in universe, unlike irl where this was an actual issue back in the day. Meaning, we haven’t heard of Arya being made to use her right hand instead of her left, so it makes sense to me that she was allowed to do her needlework w/ her left. 

I'm guessing she doesn't like sewing all that much.  Which means she probably doesn't get much practice, and probably doesn't try very hard when she does do it.

I anxiously await the day when she has to sew on a badge to sneak in someplace.  She may wish her stitches were straight then :P.

Archived