The Book of the Ice Series - SPOILERS for all Mark Lawrence books (Including Girl and the Moon SPOILERS)

unJon

Okay, I’ve now read Dispel Illusion.  Shit, that was another good series.  I regret waiting to read it.

Since this topic title does say there are spoilers for all books, I won’t spoiler there next bit; but anyone not having read Impossible Times Trilogy may want to skip.

First off... loved how he handled time travel.  The time trails they leave was an interesting concept.  One thing that had me thinking about from the first time we saw Halligan traveling was Taproot in the RQW trilogy.  We know that in that book he explains that he freezes himself periodically.  When Jalan finds him, the description I remember really feels similar to the time travelers being frozen in place.  And the forward time travel is described as essentially a more effective cryogenics.  I almost wonder if Taproot doesn’t so much as “freeze” himself as he travels forward in time periodically?

At the end in the big reveal, I do wonder why they needed to wipe Mia and Nick’s memory though.  The other four (Simon, John, Elton, and Elton’s dad) all get by on a promise.  They didn’t wipe their memory.  I understand that Nick and Mia have to forget... but they are going to wipe out the last two weeks entirely in just a few hours.  Why the necessity to wipe it twice? :dunno:  

As I said, loved it.  Mark is a great writer and I love how the entire thing is now tied together.

On 5/25/2021 at 2:27 PM, Azecap said:

Hey guys, I'm Azecap who made the discussion post on Reddit that was linked here. I randomly stumbled upon this thread when searching for others discussing the books and just wanted to address this post.

We know from Taproot that The Missing brought many "Ancients" to Abeth and reincarnated them in new babies for many generations, so the tech is definitely there. The weird part is that the anti-tech tribe used this tech, but we already have confirmation directly from Theus that this is what happened. He tells Haydies (p 340 if I recall correctly) that he is an ancient who was reborn on Abeth, but that he has seen the source (extremely likely the source of humankind = Earth) and breathed its air. If we can trust Theus to not just be bluffing, this means we are dealing with a morally grey character who has lived on Earth and has a data echo. Not hard evidence of Jorg, but definitely possible.

Welcome to the board and discussion. I am in awe of some of the connections you made on the Reddit thread. I’ll try to find the reference you are making above in my book later on. Would be a pretty crazy thing to have Jorg show up. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm about 115 pages into it and so far it's pretty much like The Girl and the Mountain. A bit slow-moving, but I know things will pick up at some point. And when it does, it will probably be great!

I'm pretty excited because one of Lawrence's test readers claimed that this book will show just how all the series are linked together. And those who have read the Broken Empire will get even more out of it. So I'm curious to see if those loonie theories about Jorg will turn out to be true.

Reading on. . . :)

Little more than 320 pages into the book and things began to get moving about halfway through TGatM. Like its predecessor, the aftermath of the cliffhanger ending of the previous installment gets resolved rather quickly. But instead of a long travelogue afterward, there is a hundred pages or so of set-up for the finale.

By the halfway point of the book, the roller-coaster starts to go down and the pace picks up. With only 25% of the novel left to read, there hasn't been a whole lot in the way of revelations thus far. Which makes me think that it will be like it was with The Girl and the Mountain, what with most of the secrets unveiled at the very end.

Having said that, it's been pretty exciting so far. Which makes this volume the best one of the bunch yet! :)

31 minutes ago, mix_masta_micah said:

Makes me wonder what Lawrence's next work will be... 

I’d love to see him go back and finish that Jalan and Snorri story in the Americas.

Sadly; he has said that trilogy was his worst selling work and that creates some roadblocks to seeing more of them.

Edited by Rhom

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

I’d love to see him go back and finish that Jalan and Snorri story in the Americas.

Sadly; he has said that trilogy was his worst selling work and that creates some roadblocks to seeing more of them.

Oh man, I loved the short story that detailed part of that adventure in the Grim Oak Press RQW hardcover.  I'm just a sucker for Snorri though.  

6 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Mark is working on something new about an infinite library. Whether it will be connected to the rest of his body of work remains to be seen. He told me he'd like to go back to grimdark for the following project, but didn't give me any details.

I'd like him to return to grimdark tbh.  It would be interesting to see how he's aged with it, considering it seems to be less popular than when Prince of Thorns came out; I've enjoyed his work since Broken Empire and Red Queen's War but those two trilogies remain my favorites of his stuff. 

• 3 months later...

Started Girl and the Moon last night.  Definitely jumps right in and picks up the cliffhanger from the end of the last book right away.  Excited to see where it goes.

It was also really interesting to see Mark tweet out a link to the Reddit guy with the connections between all the stories.

In another tweet, Lawrence refers to this as the "end of a 15 book cycle."  So I'm looking forward to getting to the end of this and seeing if it really is the capstone of everything that began with Prince of Thorns.

I ended up giving Prince of Thorns a second chance a couple of years ago and since then I've plowed through all 15 books. The Girl and the Moon was definitely a great wrap-up of the cycle as well as of its own trilogy. I enjoyed the Book of the Ice more than the Book of the Ancestor (which I also bounced off the first time) but I just finished a re-read of the latter to refresh myself on the connections and it gained a few points on the scale.

The only annoying part about it being the end is that I am left with too many unanswered questions about the world!

Has anyone seen an attempted timeline of how long passes between the end of the Broken Empire/Red Queen's War era and the migrations to Abeth? 

Why did the Missing build 1024 pillars, 1024 Arks, etc? The number comes up a lot.

What happens between the two migrations from Earth to split humanity into four very distinct tribes?

Clearly, we're not meant to get everything explained, but that doesn't mean those questions won't bug me for a long while. ;)

Also, a spoilery one for the Girl and the Moon:

Spoiler

The device that Prometheus gives Yaz after she's been to the future and returns to the ice, its never referenced anywhere else, is it? It feels like this was definitely not in his mind when he concluded Nona's story. I reread partly to see if Zole hints to it at all and she doesn't, beyond the mention of the Missing burning water to produce energy.