Rothfuss XVI: Books? What books?

Kyll.Ing.

20 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I actually have The Magic of Recluse on my bookshelf. A friend recommended it to me and said "it has economics...sort of, in the book", which was all I needed to hear to buy it. I have yet to get to it though.  

When you finally get to it, do a shot every time cherry conserve gets mentioned. Or brown bread. You'll be in rehab within an hour.

3 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

When you finally get to it, do a shot every time cherry conserve gets mentioned. Or brown bread. You'll be in rehab within an hour.

And here I was trying to cut down my alcohol intake to one night a week! 

"Fiction: making alcoholics of its readers!" 

11 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

And it seems a shitty trade that someone who is very similar to us, who likes the same things we do, who has given us wonder and joy, gets given anxiety and sadness in return.  

Anxiety is an awful, shitty beast that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Having to cope with/manage entitled readers and dealing with the all-too-human tendency to occasionally put our foot in our mouth only exacerbates things. It doesn't sound like a fun situation to deal with. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a link? I can't find anything on it.

I did find the anniversary edition of the previous book which boasted the following.

This anniversary hardcover includes more than 50 pages of extra content!
• Beautiful, iconic cover by artist Sam Weber and designer Paul Buckley
• Gorgeous, never-before-seen illustrations by artist Dan Dos Santos
• Detailed and updated world map by artist Nate Taylor
• Brand-new author’s note
• Appendix detailing calendar system and currencies
• Pronunciation guide of names and places

On 5/12/2020 at 1:12 PM, Ninefingers said:

There's definitely stew. What self respecting fantasy novel would go without?

EDIT: 

And your question reminds me of Modesitt's Recluse books. SO MUCH CHERRY CONSERVE

Everyone drinks red berry. It's like there's no fruit based drink variety in the entire world. Nobody ever considered making anything else into a drink. Ever.

I'm actually reading (listening to the audiobooks of) the Recluse series for the first time.

I just finished book 3 and ... overall, it's good. There's some stuff I really like and some stuff (relationships and the presentation of sexualization) that I don't think is well done ... plus, I do struggle with the non-linear and fresh-start-characters aspect of his approach to world building. I want to hear more about the people I just invested time in, not some new group each book. But then I adapt and get interested in the new people. It's overall a nice series so far.

With that said, book 2 was the first book I've read in a long time that made me feel better about my own writing. Usually, I'm reading a book and I start to feel overwhelmed with how well crafted things are and how much detail is present and on and on. Book 2 just had me frustrated most of the time. If I had more self-respect, I'd have moved on. But, fortunately, I don't ... because book 3 was really good and my interest is renewed.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I’ll post more when I’m more awake but he pretty much repeats the same two book pattern for like god I dunno how many there are now.

21 book so far with a new one coming out in 2021! :o Surely this must be one of the longest running fantasy series ?

https://us.macmillan.com/series/sagaofrecluce

Archived