Rothfuss XVI: Books? What books?

Kyll.Ing.

What has been said about Nick Cage is true, but it is also true that Nick Cage is in three of my favorite movies of all time. 

Legitimate favs, mind, not 'so bad they're good' favs. 

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Short version: the book isn’t written

In the previous iteration of the thread, there was talk of a manuscript that existed and was sent to test readers, whose response allegedly went somewhere along the lines of "um, is this a very elaborate joke?" I seem to recall someone said the manuscript existed around 2013, but was so bad it had to be scrapped completely, and that's where things stuck. I wonder if something will be made known when the NDAs run out, whenever that may be. 

2 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

In the previous iteration of the thread, there was talk of a manuscript that existed and was sent to test readers, whose response allegedly went somewhere along the lines of "um, is this a very elaborate joke?" I seem to recall someone said the manuscript existed around 2013, but was so bad it had to be scrapped completely, and that's where things stuck. I wonder if something will be made known when the NDAs run out, whenever that may be. 

If so, that's a shitty thing to do to an author who trusted you.  PR strikes me as a perfectionist so I'm not sure it would be in character to send out something so bad.  

23 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

If so, that's a shitty thing to do to an author who trusted you.  PR strikes me as a perfectionist so I'm not sure it would be in character to send out something so bad.  

Apparently, only one picture of it ever found its way to the public: 

The stories about its epic badness to the point of the whole thing being scrapped could just be conjecture (in an "if it existed, why wasn't it completed" kind of way), and of course, it could all be a hoax too. But if it's real, and if it is that voluminous (and not, say, a ten-page trial chapter placed on top of a stack of other papers), apparently it was read by someone around 2013.

7 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

I've taken a fair amount of grief from Sanderson fans in the past for saying this, but...

Brandon Sanderson is the Nick Cage of fantasy writers. 

Cranks out prolific amounts of solid plot driven work. Never hits the highs that others hit, but turns out a solid summer blockbuster on a pretty regular scale.

Good comparison.

Just a few weeks ago I decreed to a friend (during a Wheel of Time rant) that Brandon Sanderson is the Ron Howard of novelists. It's not always pretty, and he's no David Fincher. But he's a goddamn professional. He'll get you there on schedule and under budget/word count.

57 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Just a few weeks ago I decreed to a friend (during a Wheel of Time rant) that Brandon Sanderson is the Ron Howard of novelists. It's not always pretty, and he's no David Fincher. But he's a goddamn professional. He'll get you there on schedule and under budget/word count.

Oui, exactly.  Under budget, sure.  Word Count? 

31 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

It will be interesting to see if Rothfuss will respond to this now that the story has been taken up by Newsweek and various media outlets. . .

Link:

https://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-editor-believes-author-hasnt-written-anything-years-1520812

57 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

It will be interesting to see if Rothfuss will respond to this now that the story has been taken up by Newsweek and various media outlets. . .

27 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ooooh... :stunned: 

ETA:  And... hey... good name drop for The Wertzone in there!  :lol: 

I find writer's block to be so interesting.

I'd say Patrick and George RR Martin are the two authors whose product is so good that it intimidates me and sometimes prevents me from writing. And yet, in some ways, they are almost the (near-infinitely more) successful version of me. Somewhere along the way, they reverted to that guy with great ideas and no follow-through. They lost interest or focus or became overwhelmed by the burden and they can't seem to finish anymore. There's always something else to do.

I've picked up my own book so many times and I make progress and then it just sits. And when I think about writing more, I think "That makes sense. I should do that ... but let me play a video game first or let me read this book first or I should edit that video I was thinking about making or ..." And I don't know if it's fear on my part or a lack of true interest beyond enjoyment or just the idea that I want some piece of perfect inspiration to lead me along and that doesn't come often enough. Even though I enjoy writing, I so rarely do it.

I've got 15k words & they've got nearly completed, all-time great series but somehow it feels similar and they're more like me every day.

36 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

The original FB post on the matter has now been deleted. I wonder if Betsy hadn't realised her account wasn't set to private, although the fact her post was shared by three or four other people (whose accounts also weren't set to private) didn't help the matter.

As an editor-in-chief and a publisher, I doubt that Betsy's post was meant to be "private."

At this point, any response by Rothfuss, whether positive (the manuscript is coming along) or negative (I haven't written anything in years), would be great. His readers deserve the truth, I think.

7 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I find writer's block to be so interesting.

I'd say Patrick and George RR Martin are the two authors whose product is so good that it intimidates me and sometimes prevents me from writing. And yet, in some ways, they are almost the (near-infinitely more) successful version of me. Somewhere along the way, they reverted to that guy with great ideas and no follow-through. They lost interest or focus or became overwhelmed by the burden and they can't seem to finish anymore. There's always something else to do.

I've picked up my own book so many times and I make progress and then it just sits. And when I think about writing more, I think "That makes sense. I should do that ... but let me play a video game first or let me read this book first or I should edit that video I was thinking about making or ..." And I don't know if it's fear on my part or a lack of true interest beyond enjoyment or just the idea that I want some piece of perfect inspiration to lead me along and that doesn't come often enough. Even though I enjoy writing, I so rarely do it.

I've got 15k words & they've got nearly completed, all-time great series but somehow it feels similar and they're more like me every day.

I'm assuming you're talking about Patrick O'Brian?  This is the Rothfuss thread.

Archived