Rothfuss XVI: Books? What books?

Kyll.Ing.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

7 books in 10 years is an appropriate rate of publication,

Half as many books in twice the time would be a lot worse, but still ahead of the curve the Kingkiller Chronicle is currently following.

10 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Given the opportunity, Ambrose also takes actions that benefit others and he goes out of his way to sacrifice on their behalf. His vanity and his self-absorption serve to remove opportunity. He's often blind to the opportunity for selfless, caring action. The vanity and self-absorption are faults but his caring actions are obscured by this being a story by Kvothe for Kvothe. 

A hypothetical.

Do we have examples of Ambrose doing anything selflessly? I can't think of a single one.

13 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Do we have examples of Ambrose doing anything selflessly? I can't think of a single one.

Not that I remember, but we don't have his point of view. Its plausible even if its not probable. Even if not, I can just change it to him being "blind to the opportunity" because he is selfish and entitled. Poof, he's not an a dick anymore.

Edit - Look, I'm not actually arguing that Ambrose isn't one. I'm saying that Kvothe is. Suppose Ambrose does have selfless actions. Does that absolve all the other shit he pulls?

18 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Not that I remember, but we don't have his point of view. Its plausible even if its not probable. Even if not, I can just change it to him being "blind to the opportunity" because he is selfish and entitled. Poof, he's not an a dick anymore.

Edit - Look, I'm not actually arguing that Ambrose isn't one. I'm saying that Kvothe is. Suppose Ambrose does have selfless actions. Does that absolve all the other shit he pulls?

Kvothe is a jackass.  Kvothe has serious and dangerous impulse control problems. We are hearing his story from his perspective.  I seriously doubt anyone else would paint him in a light a sympathic as he is doing for himself.  

I think we are seeing the “antagonist” of a story giving their story as the “hero’s journey”.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Kvothe is a jackass.  Kvothe has serious and dangerous impulse control problems. We are hearing his story from his perspective.  I seriously doubt anyone else would paint him in a light a sympathic as he is doing for himself.  

I think we are seeing the “antagonist” of a story giving their story as the “hero’s journey”.

Yes. Even taking him at his word, he doesn't give off a good impression. We don't know how honest or complete it is but with just that, I'm baffled that anyone is defending his behaviour.

I don't think he is necessarily an antagonist or hero. Just a regular talented person who has performed influential actions but still a minor part of the bigger picture.

35 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Considering you don't actually have any examples but would like to argue it anyway, I'm going to step aside and note that, perhaps, you could benefit from cultivating a stronger sense of nuance to your worldview.

With that said, this is the internet and communication isn't always clear here and I've been known to be wrong besides.

Just now, Ser Not Appearing said:

Considering you don't actually have any examples but would like to argue it anyway, I'm going to step aside and note that, perhaps, you could benefit from cultivating a stronger sense of nuance to your worldview.

With that said, this is the internet and communication isn't always clear here and I've been known to be wrong besides.

You're deflecting from your inability to defend your initial argument and are retreating from it. You can take your condescending tone elsewhere.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

7 books in 10 years is an appropriate rate of publication,

3 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

Half as many books in twice the time would be a lot worse, but still ahead of the curve the Kingkiller Chronicle is currently following.

My FaceBook memory today was a picture of me at the ADWD signing in Lexington, KY... in 2011. :crying:

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

You're deflecting from your inability to defend your initial argument and are retreating from it.

Beyond a cultivation of nuance, I encourage you to steer more towards discussion and understanding perspectives of others, as opposed to just chek chek chek chek chek on the internet all day.

I expressed a viewpoint, offered an explanation of why I felt that way and then attempted to help you understand (because you expressed confusion) why I see a distinction between two descriptors. You simply don't have to agree and I don't really care to argue about it ... certainly not when the basis of the argument is an example that you admit runs counter to the book, as written.

8 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Beyond a cultivation of nuance, I encourage you to steer more towards discussion and understanding perspectives of others, as opposed to just chek chek chek chek chek on the internet all day.

I expressed a viewpoint, offered an explanation of why I felt that way and then attempted to help you understand (because you expressed confusion) why I see a distinction between two descriptors. You simply don't have to agree and I don't really care to argue about it ... certainly not when the basis of the argument is an example that you admit runs counter to the book, as written.

Perhaps I would understand better if you attempted to address my points instead of deflecting and misdirecting my concerns.

Also, Ambrose not being a whatever is not the basis of my argument. It is your argument for Kvothe. I'm just using that as an illustration to discuss your argument. I'm doing it to understand your perspective. Its unfortunate that you can't recognise it as such and continue your passive aggressive assault.

Whether it runs counter to the book doesn't matter because one, I'm not discussing Ambrose and two, its how we interpret the actions of a character. Whether Ambrose has any actual good deeds or not doesn't matter. The question is would the hypothetical good deeds absolve him? So far, you are not disputing their similarities which are clearly expressed in the book. So if we align their differences to make them the same, would you be able to apply the same standard? It's a simple yes/no question. Surely you can answer this without buts?

Taking him at his word, Kvothe doesn’t give a good impression? He saves a town from a rampaging beast, he cares for a traumatised, starving child, he risks his life to save people from fires, he saves young girls from gangs of sex slavers, he hunts down and kills terrorists threatening a kingdom and thwarts a political plot, curing a poisoned king.

He’s kind of lame in many ways (and a lot of his exploits involve him saving young girls from various troubles) but he definitely gives a good impression.

Doesn’t the beast stumble on to some kind of drug farm and go crazy? Which presumably could have happened at any point, even without Kvothe trying to poison it.

Thats another thing he does - destroys the local drug trade in that little town. For a supposed rebel he really is a big law and order guy.

14 minutes ago, john said:

Doesn’t the beast stumble on to some kind of drug farm and go crazy? Which presumably could have happened at any point, even without Kvothe trying to poison it.

Thats another thing he does - destroys the local drug trade in that little town. For a supposed rebel he really is a big law and order guy.

If I recall the book correctly - and I've only read it once, years ago - the beast stumbles onto the people who run the drug farm and somehow kills them and gets addicted to the stuff (not necessarily in that order, but the people behind the drug farm are long gone and the beast long addicted when Kvothe arrives). However, as the drug farm is located behind some massive boulders the beast can't move, it can smell but not reach the motherlode of drugs contained therein. Its frustrated rage makes it rampage to the point that nearby people swear a dragon is roaming the land. Kvothe and Denna then find the drug stash, remove it from the drug farm so they can sell it for medicinal purposes to the University, and then stumble upon the crazed beast which immediately begins to stalk them. They get the idea to feed it all the drugs so it overdoses and dies. Except the dose isn't strong enough to kill it, but leads it on a rampage to burn down the nearby town. Kvothe manages to kill it, but fails to save the town because of one of the finest examples of applied thermodynamics I've seen in literature.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

My FaceBook memory today was a picture of me at the ADWD signing in Lexington, KY... in 2011. :crying:

Not sure whether to laugh or cry along with you. laugy?

13 minutes ago, lysmonger said:

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/06/24/patrick-rothfuss-giving-us-new-kingkiller-chronicle-story-not-doors-stone/

He's going to publish some chapters developed from roleplaying game that is about to come out.

GOD DAMN IT!!!

He’s not even publishing a fucking short story.  It’s fucking publicity for a fucking RPG.

42 minutes ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

If I recall the book correctly - and I've only read it once, years ago - the beast stumbles onto the people who run the drug farm and somehow kills them and gets addicted to the stuff (not necessarily in that order, but the people behind the drug farm are long gone and the beast long addicted when Kvothe arrives). However, as the drug farm is located behind some massive boulders the beast can't move, it can smell but not reach the motherlode of drugs contained therein. Its frustrated rage makes it rampage to the point that nearby people swear a dragon is roaming the land. Kvothe and Denna then find the drug stash, remove it from the drug farm so they can sell it for medicinal purposes to the University, and then stumble upon the crazed beast which immediately begins to stalk them. They get the idea to feed it all the drugs so it overdoses and dies. Except the dose isn't strong enough to kill it, but leads it on a rampage to burn down the nearby town. Kvothe manages to kill it, but fails to save the town because of one of the finest examples of applied thermodynamics I've seen in literature.

You're Patrick Rothfuss. Much respect, no joke. You live your life, playa.

Archived