Rothfuss XVI: Books? What books?

Kyll.Ing.

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

At the time the TV show launched, the books had sold 12 million copies. That was about five million copies less than Memory, Sorrow and ThornThe Belgariad and Riftwar, less than half the number of copies as The Sword of Truth, a quarter of the The Shannara Chronicles, and about a seventh of Discworld (which was the biggest-selling adult fantasy series for a very long time, before being pipped by ASoIaF and Wheel of Time, even if it has; all three are very close to parity in terms of sales right now).

ASoIaF was certainly not the second-biggest-selling adult epic fantasy series in 2011.

The unerringly poor judgment of SFF fans is redeemed only by their reverence for Pratchett.  Wert, what was the breakdown between UK/US/other markets for Pratchett sales?

Also are these stats are English language publications only?

2 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The unerringly poor judgment of SFF fans is redeemed only by their reverence for Pratchett.  Wert, what was the breakdown between UK/US/other markets for Pratchett sales?

Also are these stats are English language publications only?

I don't think that information has ever been given.

Pratchett was obscure in the United States until The Amazing Maurice won the Carnegie Prize in 2001 and that marked a notable uptick in his sales (not sure why as it's a British prize, but it seems to have helped his profile in the US) which continued after that point. I know that towards the end of his life the increase in US sales had become quite noticeable and gratifying after decades never breaking into the US market at all. It's never become Martin or Jordan levels of fame though.

Pratchett achieving the massive success he has without going nuclear in the States is all the more remarkable, although it helps that he has over 60 books to his name, rather considerably more than GRRM and Jordan combined.

11 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Back on topic, I'm a bit surprised that Rothfuss has offered no response to his editor's criticism yet. . .

I get the impression that Rothfuss is very happy at being talkative when he is in charge of and has power in the situation (which is like 99% of the time) but not so much when he is not, and this is one of those times. I suspect there's some dialogue going on behind the scenes and maybe we'll get some kind of statement reaffirming all parties' mutual respect for one another in a few days.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

I get the impression that Rothfuss is very happy at being talkative when he is in charge of and has power in the situation (which is like 99% of the time) but not so much when he is not, and this is one of those times. I suspect there's some dialogue going on behind the scenes and maybe we'll get some kind of statement reaffirming all parties' mutual respect for one another in a few days.

Pretty sure of it. Just surprised it has taken this long. . .

I got about 5 books into WoT before I gave it up. I got about 3 books into Sword of Truth before I gave it up. I loved the Belgariad in highschool and Shannara was the first series of the kind that I ever read (in middle school). I'm not certain I ever read Riftwars and I only ever read one Discworld.

I'd mostly given up read fantasy until I read ASOIAF, which soarked me back into love with fantasy ... but set a high bar that none of the former series can meet. KKC has through two books and a few side stories, though.

But, anyway, as I am the only one of us who I can be certain truly exists, my experiences must be paramount and ASOIAF redefined the genre.

Sidenote: Series with a billion books having high sales totals makes sense. I'll pretend this point is super insightful and dismiss sales totals out of hand.

On 8/8/2020 at 4:31 PM, lysmonger said:

I think a big part of why fans get obsessed with game of thrones is the amount of  time from reading the books and rereading going on forum.

Spending that amount of time on anything, will make a person naturally obsessed.

This was also true of the more popular 'Twilight' series as well. It's just a standard feature of a massively popular modern work of fantasy.

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

What other option does he have, now that words have failed him? What do any of us have when words fail us?

As another famous author repeatedly told us “Words are wind.”

9 minutes ago, Lord of Rhinos said:

Sure, but my "offended" post isn't about GRRM.  Its about Werthead pretending he doesn't understand context.

No, it's about him potentially misuderstanding our discussion and you, rather than going 'okay Wert but I was talking about year-on-year sales although I'm conveniently going to leave off the more modern top-sellers like Rothfuss or Lynch from my list to make sure my point stands' you threw a tantrum.

Just now, polishgenius said:

No, it's about him potentially misuderstanding our discussion and you, rather than going 'okay Wert but I was talking about year-on-year sales although I'm conveniently going to leave off the more modern top-sellers like Rothfuss or Lynch from my list to make sure my point stands' you threw a tantrum.

That's because Rothfuss and Lynch didn't start publishing until after 2005.  Which is to say even if they had sold far more books then they actually did, it wouldn't change the fact that ASoIaF was wildly popular and redefining the genre before they were published.

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

I expected the "mutual respect" announcement too, but with each day that passes it feels like the probability of that decreases and the probability of the "I'm such a victim woe is me" announcement increases.

I removed several posts that were nothing but personal insults and histrionic grandstanding.

Also a word of warning: if you say something breath-takingly stupid that can be proven incorrect in nanoseconds without even trying, doubling down on your ignorance and ranting like a two-year old is not the way to proceed.

42 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

I expected the "mutual respect" announcement too, but with each day that passes it feels like the probability of that decreases and the probability of the "I'm such a victim woe is me" announcement increases.

Even more likely is total silence from all parties. To the best of my knowledge, Rothfuss has never followed up on anything remotely controversial. Or, even, like, Worldbuilders stretch goals that fail to materialize. And Wolheim said what she said.

12 minutes ago, thistlepong said:

Even more likely is total silence from all parties. To the best of my knowledge, Rothfuss has never followed up on anything remotely controversial. Or, even, like, Worldbuilders stretch goals that fail to materialize. And Wolheim said what she said.

Eh, he'll have to say something eventually. He can hide from this for as long as he wants, but the next time he wants money for worldbuilders or some other project and engages on Twitch (or some other platform) he'll be flooded with questions about it. 

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

Eh, he'll have to say something eventually. He can hide from this for as long as he wants, but the next time he wants money for worldbuilders or some other project and engages on Twitch (or some other platform) he'll be flooded with questions about it. 

No, he'll just rant about it. not answer any questions. and then keep playing whatever crappy reg game he helped develop on kickstarter for the 50k people who buy the game and the 20 people who watch him play it.

Archived