Rothfuss XVI: Books? What books?

Kyll.Ing.

I think it was unfortunate that he reacted the way he did.  I think you can take it for granted that anyone asking him about publication is a fan who is anticipating the next novel. 

And so even if the answer is no (and it is obvious the answer is overwhelmingly likely to be no), he could have been humble and simply said that he is continuing to work on the novel and he appreciates the patience and support of his fans and understands if some of them are frustrated by the delay.  He said something like this on his blog 6-7 years back.  

Yeah, this is typical of him. We wouldn't be piling on if its just a once off thing. It is understandable if he is frustrated from constantly being asked and goes off the rails once in awhile but this is normal for him. Even if it isn't about his books, you get the same general vibe that this is who he is. 

You can contrast it with the response to George. This is a forum for George's books so there might be some bias, but I think that George's approach to the delay, Meereenese knot, monkey on his back, will be done when its done is communicated much better than writers block doesn't exist, I'm setting up a poll for videogames vs book livestream and throwing a tantrum if it doesn't go my way.

5 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Yeah, this is typical of him. We wouldn't be piling on if its just a once off thing. It is understandable if he is frustrated from constantly being asked and goes off the rails once in awhile but this is normal for him. Even if it isn't about his books, you get the same general vibe that this is who he is. 

You can contrast it with the response to George. This is a forum for George's books so there might be some bias, but I think that George's approach to the delay, Meereenese knot, monkey on his back, will be done when its done is communicated much better than writers block doesn't exist, I'm setting up a poll for videogames vs book livestream and throwing a tantrum if it doesn't go my way.

PR has admitted he has had mental health issues as I suspect does GRRM (partly as a result of achieving success and fame).  So for that matter does Lynch but he has been open about them and the effect it has had on his work and as a result has received support and understanding from his fans.  Another author I enjoy, Douglas Hulick, abandoned his series midway because of similar issues and he received little negative feedback as far as I know.  If there is a model to follow for delayed authors, it is Lynch.  

Perhaps, but I've always felt that Pat and Kvothe come off very similarly so I don't think this is out of the ordinary for him, mental health issues or not. 

As far as fan reaction goes, there will always be the crowd that wants everything yesterday otherwise you should be chained to your desk until you deliver, but most fans are supportive especially if you are upfront with them. Pat still has his fans who worship the ground he walks on, but it feels like he's burned the bridges with all his other fans with how he behaves. I'd like to think that most of us here are reasonable, but you just take a look at the past few threads and see how poorly he is received. Sometimes its not even about his books or the delay of his books. He just tends to put his foot into his mouth.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:14 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

And so even if the answer is no (and it is obvious the answer is overwhelmingly likely to be no), he could have been humble and simply said that he is continuing to work on the novel and he appreciates the patience and support of his fans and understands if some of them are frustrated by the delay.   

Or even easier, he could have just skipped that question!

3 hours ago, lysmonger said:

rofl , rothfuss just found out he had adhd after being in therapy for years because of a mood disorder. 

Like no one has ever told him this very very obvious assumption about his behavior for years

We learn things about ourselves at our own speed, for better or worse. But hey - at least he's now learned, been diagnosed, and can begin learning about how to cope with it! 

I mean that we don't criticise Rothfuss unreasonably. How we do it is one thing, but I'd like to think that what we criticise him for is fair. Mental health certainly isn't. That's why I said piling on. At that point we're just finding fault with everything fair or not just to chime in.

42 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Yeah, stop piling on Rothfuss for everything. I just claimed that we are reasonable people around here. 

Exactly. Come on now, folks. I've been telling my friends that this is a nice forum, filled with erudite, considerate people! Don't let me - and Australia! - down! Or, uh, no vegemite for you! 

Archived