Can the Nights Watch be saved?

CassDarry

I’m sure it’s been discussed a million times before but I still can’t see how the Nights Watch can survive their current predicament. There is no Lord Commander, less than 600 members left spread out over several castles along the wall, You have a Rebel King’s family while he is away waging war, Thousands of former enemies living within the Watch- granted the fighting wildlings do seem to number in the hundreds but majority of them have been given castles on the wall to man- as Bowen Marsh says it’s fine if the others come but would happen if the Weeper arrived at the head of a wildling hoard? Where does their loyalty lie?

Speaking of Marsh, what is his plan now after betraying Jon? Surely it’s too late for the watch?

Also if you was a sworn member of the Nights Watch(naturally I’ll assume you was sent there wrongly and you’re innocent, like Dareon ) what would you do now? 

Marsh must have a plan that we just aren't privy to.  From the outside looking in, Jon should have been killed before the Wall was opened to the wildlings or not at all. What's the implicit message to the wildlings in Jon's murder?  It's a declaration of war, but who declares war against an enemy that is already on top of you, outnumbers you and has a giant on board to boot (don't recall right now if it's just Wun Wun or if there are others as well)? It's an incredibly short sighted decision, unless there's a plan or reinforcement that we don't know about.

Ultimately I imagine that the Wildlings will supplant the Night's Watch and hold the Wall as best they can against the true enemy to the North. Whether this is peaceful or bloody and whether any sworn Night's Watchmen survive to serve along side of them remains to be seen, but I suspect that there will be a handful. 

9 hours ago, CassDarry said:

I’m sure it’s been discussed a million times before but I still can’t see how the Nights Watch can survive their current predicament. There is no Lord Commander, less than 600 members left spread out over several castles along the wall, You have a Rebel King’s family while he is away waging war, Thousands of former enemies living within the Watch- granted the fighting wildlings do seem to number in the hundreds but majority of them have been given castles on the wall to man- as Bowen Marsh says it’s fine if the others come but would happen if the Weeper arrived at the head of a wildling hoard? Where does their loyalty lie?

Speaking of Marsh, what is his plan now after betraying Jon? Surely it’s too late for the watch?

Also if you was a sworn member of the Nights Watch(naturally I’ll assume you was sent there wrongly and you’re innocent, like Dareon ) what would you do now? 

Simple.

Jon Snow will be fighting a war and he will be able to send prisoners to the wall as an alternative to execution. 

On 4/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, CassDarry said:

All of the sworn members of the Night's Watch would understand Bowen Marsh.  They would do what they can to sort things out and organize the defense.  The Wildlings would be smart to cooperate.  It's time to forget about Mance Rayder and Jon Snow.  Look at the big picture and see it is in the interest of everyone's safety to cooperate with the Night's Watch to defend the wall. 

Feathers will have to be soothed with Ramsay.  I understand Jon stepped way out of line but he is dead.  Bowen Marsh should send a raven to the Boltons and let them know the Night's Watch had no part.  Tough sell because Mance Rayder is still a sworn brother of the Night's Watch but they have to try to put all of the blame on Jon Snow.  Which is not a lie. 

On 4/30/2020 at 11:41 PM, Texas Hold Em said:

All of the sworn members of the Night's Watch would understand Bowen Marsh.  They would do what they can to sort things out and organize the defense.  The Wildlings would be smart to cooperate.  It's time to forget about Mance Rayder and Jon Snow.  Look at the big picture and see it is in the interest of everyone's safety to cooperate with the Night's Watch to defend the wall. 

Feathers will have to be soothed with Ramsay.  I understand Jon stepped way out of line but he is dead.  Bowen Marsh should send a raven to the Boltons and let them know the Night's Watch had no part.  Tough sell because Mance Rayder is still a sworn brother of the Night's Watch but they have to try to put all of the blame on Jon Snow.  Which is not a lie. 

Why would the sworn brothers understand Bowen Marsh? He killed their elected Lord Commander.

Why would the Wildlings be smart to cooperate with Bowen Marsh he does not want them south of the wall? Why would they not kill him? The wildlings outnumber the sworn brothers, if they are loyal to Bowen. The wildlings could then have another Lord Commander installed who favour them again like Jon did.

True, they could probably avoid conflict with Ramsay now but Bowen has more immediate concerns surely.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, CassDarry said:

It’s exactly the FF who will put the NW back on track. 

As to Marsh’s plans, the only one he should have is to be ready to meet his maker. 

On 5/2/2020 at 11:02 AM, CassDarry said:

Why would the sworn brothers understand Bowen Marsh? He killed their elected Lord Commander.

I think there will be a handful of xenophobic racist bigots who will understand Marsh, but they’ll be the minority of black brothers. 

Why would the Wildlings be smart to cooperate with Bowen Marsh he does not want them south of the wall?

They won’t. 

Why would they not kill him?

The FF/crows loyal to Jon will kill Marsh and anyone else near him that they perceive to be in on the assassination attempt. Leathers, for instance, who is right there. I do hope that Tormund Tall-Talker, Father of Hosts is the one to chop up Bowen Marsh... it will be a bloodbath. 

The wildlings outnumber the sworn brothers, if they are loyal to Bowen. The wildlings could then have another Lord Commander installed who favour them again like Jon did.

The FF do outnumber the black brothers, and from what Jon’s saw in the Shieldhall, 5 to 1. And that’s counting all the black brothers w/o splitting them up according to their loyalties. Like I said, a bloody bloodbath. :D

Someone might assume command temporarily, again, I hope it’s Tormund. And it makes sense, since it was him the 3k+ who came through the Wall were following. But only for a shot while, Jon won’t be out of commission for long.

True, they could probably avoid conflict with Ramsay now but Bowen has more immediate concerns surely.

Bowen’s gonna be doing fuck all, he won’t have time for anything. Can’t wait. ;)

On 4/29/2020 at 12:43 PM, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

What happens will be determined by the wildling response to the execution of Jon Snow.  Jon created a gigantic mess at the wall.  Too big for Bowen Marsh and the watch to clean up after. 

The Wildlings are more interested in Mance Rayder.  They will ride ASAP to Winterfell.  BM should get his chance to sort things at the wall. 

On 4/29/2020 at 7:35 PM, Tyrion1991 said:

Simple.

Jon Snow will be fighting a war and he will be able to send prisoners to the wall as an alternative to execution. 

Not likely to happen like that.  Yes he will come back to life.  Yes he will make another try at fighting the Boltons.  Sending survivors to the wall won't be in his plans though.  He will be serving the Others by then because it is they who will bring him back to life.  The problems he caused will be multiplied many times in the next book.  He's not finished making problems for Westeros. 

On 4/30/2020 at 6:41 PM, Texas Hold Em said:

They would need to send proof of Jon's death.  Send a warning to inform the warden of the north as well.  A wildling army is coming.  

Saving the N/W is probably too late.  Jon got the wildlings all roused up and foaming at the mouth to attack Winterfell and Ramsay Bolton.  Bowen Marsh and the real men of the N/W will be powerless to stop this.  The watch will be left where it started, undermanned.  They got rid of the traitor though. 

Archived