US Politics: Help Me Vladimir!!! Xi Wants Me to Lose!!!

Tywin Manderly

34 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

By quote tweeting instead of @ing the original tweeter she (Halper) magnified her initial tweets spread by making it show up on her tweets page, which is viewed by more people than someone's replies, which show up under tweets and replies. So had Halper wanted to actually discuss anything the appropriate move would have been a direct reply to the original tweet, which again would be seen by less people. 

ETA: If I'm wrong in this then I apologize, but that's my understanding of how one should respond to tweets. 

ETA2: Sorry for focusing on twitter etiquette as opposed to US politics

Lord, I hate twitter.  

I heard today that Trump's "town hall meeting" is going to be held at the Lincoln Memorial. He sure knows how to soil sacred places, doesn't he?

All you bastards are going to be FREED by the GREAT EMANCIPATOR, Donald J. Trump!

Congratulations, 'merica!

23 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

No, but they seem to want the journalists involved with story investigated by the FBI

https://twitter.com/lindyli/status/1256685033584308224?s=19

Appears to be unavailable now. What did it say?

The Reade thing continues to be really bleh on all sides. The doxxing sucks and Biden should come out right now and say that it is garbage. Her story sucks, and it changing from her reporting sexual harassment to her reporting just general unhappiness after Biden offered to go look for it is not great, especially when she swore in a previous interview that it did have sexual harassment. 

Of course, Trump just praised Mike Tyson, who he also praised when he was convicted of assaulting and raping and said he should be freed. 

Can things be, I dunno, just a little bit better for a while?

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

The Reade thing continues to be really bleh on all sides. The doxxing sucks and Biden should come out right now and say that it is garbage. Her story sucks, and it changing from her reporting sexual harassment to her reporting just general unhappiness after Biden offered to go look for it is not great, especially when she swore in a previous interview that it did have sexual harassment. 

Of course, Trump just praised Mike Tyson, who he also praised when he was convicted of assaulting and raping and said he should be freed. 

Can't we all just get along?

Yeah, tons of people will be evicted. And the racial wealth gap is growing. And our top priority is to bail out airlines and likely luxury hotels. We'll need another small business bailout since the actual one apparently went to many larger businesses for reasons and the in the meantime people are supposed to make 1200$ last several months or a year.

COVID-19 Threatens A New Eviction Crisis
Housing experts fear an increase in homelessness when the bans on evictions during the coronavirus shutdowns expire.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/covid-19-threatens-new-eviction-crisis_n_5eaccb3ec5b639d6e576671a

“Eviction moratoriums are a great first step, but there’s a lot of evidence that landlords are still filing for eviction,” said Megan Hatch, a professor at Cleveland State University who studies urban policy. “When these restrictions are lifted, a huge number of people could be evicted right away.”

May 1 is the second rental due date since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. Millions of renters will have to choose between paying their rent and buying essentials. Some have already reached the bottom of their savings.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Lord, I hate twitter.  

Scot it's become my belief that when historians study our era, they will be amazed that social media was allowed to exist, and that civilization survived. Many of our problems in society, I see, as being directly tied to the rise of social media

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Agreed on the last question, in so many ways.

This was the tweet from Lindy Li:

Now that Tara Reade's story has completely imploded, I hope the @fbi investigates Nathan J Robinson, Katie Halper, and Ryan Grim for their role in this fraud.

Tara or whatever your real name is, you have gravely harmed real #metoo survivors.

1 hour ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Scot it's become my belief that when historians study our era, they will be amazed that social media was allowed to exist, and that civilization survived. Many of our problems in society, I see, as being directly tied to the rise of social media

On the off chance our civilization survives and there are historians around. 

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, there will be alien historians, obviously.

Sure, but they'll be convinced that we worshipped this giant mouse with pants and were almost certainly hallucinating constantly thanks to the high levels of pesticides and harmful chemicals in our atmosphere. 

6 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

By quote tweeting instead of @ing the original tweeter she (Halper) magnified her initial tweets spread by making it show up on her tweets page, which is viewed by more people than someone's replies, which show up under tweets and replies. So had Halper wanted to actually discuss anything the appropriate move would have been a direct reply to the original tweet, which again would be seen by less people. 

ETA: If I'm wrong in this then I apologize, but that's my understanding of how one should respond to tweets. 

ETA2: Sorry for focusing on twitter etiquette as opposed to US politics

So I haven't seen how this was handled to know who I'm agreeing with, but the generally recommended behavior from people not trying to be assholes is to avoid painting a target on someone to be dogpiled if you have a significantly larger following. I'd personally peg that level as one order of magnitude higher than the other person.

So tweeting about someone without naming them, and especially without using their @ would generally be the better way to go even if it might seem rude under normal circumstances. Replies are visible in feed to your followers if they follow both of you, so potentially an argument to be made for not even doing that.

Quote tweeting on the other hand is the biggest way to put someone on blast to your followers, BUT it does give a notification to the quoted person so that should have addressed the objection I thought was mentioned earlier.

Some people with large followings are in the habit of using quote tweets for replies to give their followers the opportunity to see their responses to questions etc, I'd cite Ty Franck (co-author of The Expanse) for a non malicious usage of this style, so it's possible to be in the habit of doing it without intending to put someone in blast. You really should try catch yourself from doing it when you're calling someone out like this sounds though.

1 hour ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I can understand objections to social media, particular how the companies running it behave in their search of profit, but I don't see the objection in this case. All forms of communication have their norms and etiquette and Scot at least is someone who is very dedicated to that etiquette in other areas. The only difference in this case is that it's a new form of communication whose rules of etiquette are still in their fledgling state with many ignorant of them.

Twitter in particular has given marginalised communities the capacity to form communities, find a voice and share news with each other on a scale they hadn't been able to before and to me that'l tips the scales in favour of social media more than the misuse of it by bad actors and people being shitty trolls tip it the other way. Surely people that would value the abstract concept of free speech more highly than I do can see the huge value in that. This is again more addressed at Scot than you sorry Reny, possibly should have quoted his instead, but I was also addressing your idea that historians would consider it a mistake.

A large chunk of the problems with it could be addressed by the behavior of the companies that run it being appropriately regulated.

2 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Everyone should have to have 1 verified account for all platforms, and if you are an arsehole you are banned for months, years, or forever, depending on the offence. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Sure, but they'll be convinced that we worshipped this giant mouse with pants and were almost certainly hallucinating constantly thanks to the high levels of pesticides and harmful chemicals in our atmosphere. 

And they would be correct

Complaints about social media strike me largely the same as all the other "things were better in the before times" complaints, like talking about how rude kids these days are or how modern entertainment is trash. I'd bet money that you could find people making the same basic complaints with every new communication system. social media to texting to phone calls to telegraphs to letter to just the spoken word. All the way back to some guy complaining about the new fancy schmancy speaking because pointing and grunting was good enough for him and being able to express complex concepts will just cause problems.

6 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Complaints about social media strike me largely the same as all the other "things were better in the before times" complaints, like talking about how rude kids these days are or how modern entertainment is trash. I'd bet money that you could find people making the same basic complaints with every new communication system. social media to texting to phone calls to telegraphs to letter to just the spoken word. All the way back to some guy complaining about the new fancy schmancy speaking because pointing and grunting was good enough for him and being able to express complex concepts will just cause problems.

These dang automobiles taking all the Wagoneer jobs!

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It was clearly the war between the followers of the yellow M and the servants of the 7-eleven that brought human civilization to its knees. The disciples of the rodent built far fewer temples.

19 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Why would anyone leak her Social Security Number? How would they get it?

That she got death threats is no big surprise. A vegan who announced she had decided to eat some meat again got death threats. People who think you should be vaccinated get death threats. Government officials who contradict Trump get death threats. It's as American as apple pie.

Still pretty disappointing.  

5 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

I did grow up with social media so at least my complaint isn't from yearning for the past. 

8 hours ago, karaddin said:

So I haven't seen how this was handled to know who I'm agreeing with, but the generally recommended behavior from people not trying to be assholes is to avoid.....

Thank you for posting this, it was informative. 

ETA: sorry for the double post everyone

Archived