Football: The Closed Season

mormont

That was miles better. I suppose a certain amount of it's down the rustiness in the Everton game but having the balance of Salah and Robertson in the side makes as massive difference. We really need a left footed option as Robertson's back up.

Yeah, much, much better. Only Firmino and Wijnaldum look out of form (or normal, as Wijnaldum calls it 4 out of every 5 games), everyone else looked really good. Fabinho especially, even without the goal.

I think I'd rather win it at the Etihad than have Chelsea do it for us, not that it really matters.

Atalanta v. Lazio was a fun end-to-end game, especially the first half. Lazio took a 2-0 lead into half time but Atalanta just overpowered them in the second half to win 3-2. Atalanta are the most fun team to watch in all of European football. 

Has anyone in any sport ever collapsed in a big enough way that it would compare to a Liverpool collapse now? 

The only ones I can think of would be the Americas cup where team USA came back from 8-1 down to win 9-8, or Jimmy White collapsing from 14-8 up to lose 14-18 in the world snooker championships (though to be fair its only so dramatic as he lost 10 in a row, its not like he lost 10 in a row when he only had to win one more frame. 

Van De Velde at the open, when he only needed a double bogey to win was pretty traumatic, but really any hole on a golf course can result in a shitty score.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:23 AM, Rorshach said:

Not sure Arsenal fans can take any more bad news.

I'm pretty much done caring. I'll still watch but my expectations is a bottom half of the table team that will have a major injury every game.

Regarding David Luiz, wasn't it more like Arsenal pulled the trigger on a one year extension instead of Luiz signing a new one year deal?

As funny as Luiz and his awfulness as centreback are (basically a poor man's Lucio rip off), it still kinda makes sense for Arsenal to hold onto him now, with their injuries at the back. Their other centrebacks are not much better (if better at all), and I don't see them spending big this transfer window, unless somebody pays a hefty fee for Aubameyang (and maybe somebody offering them a sandwich to take on Özil and his contract). The funny bit will be Luiz wages compared to his current ability.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Has anyone in any sport ever collapsed in a big enough way that it would compare to a Liverpool collapse now? 

Did you switch from NU to MU during the corona break? Their 30 year drought is, or rather will be over, before too long. PG's desperate attempt to stop it  by releasing the corona virus was a good last ditch attempt however, even if he went overboard with it. And yes, in a truely American fashion, let's rebrand the virus name to Polish Corona virus.

Chelsea well worth their lead. City dominating possession as is to be expected but Chelsea have looked the more dangerous side. Guardiola overthinking things yet again. I have no idea what he's doing playing B. Silva as a false #9 or whatever the fuck but it's not working at all. City on numerous occasions have had good numbers just outside the Chelsea box but there was no-one making a centre forward's run so they just resorted to passing around aimlessly until the move fizzled out. 

Archived