Football: The Closed Season

mormont

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

Winning the league off the back of a Chelsea win and battering Palace would be an entertaining way of doing it I suppose.

seeing the glum faces of baldy and his team at the emptyhad next week will be even more entertaining.Put out a team of our baby reds to troll Citeh hard! :P

It's a bit of a weird feeling really. I was alive last time Liverpool won the title but I don't remember it so my entire football supporting life has revolved around the pursuit of the holy grail of another league title win. It feels a bit strange for that to be over and for it to happen in kind of an anticlimactic way with the three month wait, the empty stadiums and us being so far ahead it was kind of inevitable by the time football came back. I was planning on going to the open top bus tour and everything but it's hard to know what to do with it now.

Anyway, what an absolutely amazing performance from Klopp and the team this year. I thought for sure that we'd fall back after going so close last season but to just blow away a side as good as this City team and win the league this comprehensively is unbelievably good.

Liverpool bizarrely have won this title at both the earliest and latest point ever in a season.

I was looking forward to a big clash with City next week and winning the title in a head-to-head game with them.  That would have been more fitting.  OTOH, the victory yesterday against the previously resolute Palace defense was worthy of champions and not a bad clincher to remember.

It’s been 30 years of bad luck stories, near misses and suffering the derision of newly minted fans of Utd, Chelsea and City.  And realistically the club could have declined just as the city did, but we refused to disappear into irrelevance.  We’ve had some great players, good teams and variable managers over those years, but this is the first time we had great players, great team and great manager.  It has been a long time coming.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're fucking welcome.

Chelsea are still the champions in the people's hearts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I'd say Klopp should return the favor and field the youth team against Chelsea in the final game. That would be fair, right?

9 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

WORLD CHAMPIONS....EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS....ENGLISH CHAMPIONS!!!!!

YNWA :grouphug:

I want to be happy for liverpool fans but then loads of them do this and it makes it so hard. It's very cringe.  

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I want to be happy for liverpool fans but then loads of them do this and it makes it so hard. It's very cringe.  

It's technically correct. As we all know, the best kind of correct.

There's a quite good but long article in the Athletic going through the 30 years between titles for Liverpool for those with access. Thinking back on it it's the 90s that feel like the big missed opportunity to me. We had good teams under Houllier and Benitez but they really played to their level and ultimately weren't quite good enough against the opposition they were facing. 2013/14 was a bit of a flash in the pan. In the 90s there really was a lot of very good young talent coming through with some players left over from the great sides of the 80s. Given a better structure around them and better recruitment there was the potential to do a lot better than they did.

Isn't that always teh case, when the most successfull clubs of a decade suddenly drop off? Esp. with the financial power of Liverpool. I think the fans of the Milan clubs will have a similar feeling regarding the past 10 years or so. OM fans will also hardly find much solace in the idea, that the upstarts from Paris were propped up starting in the 1990s.

Bayern managed to build on their successes in the 1970s, admittedly they were fortunate that an injury cut Hoeneß playing career short, and he was light years ahead of his fellow Sporting Directors/Financial guys. So he turned them into the financial Powerhouse of German football. Thus they were pretty constantly finishing in the top bracket of the league (exception was one season in the early 1990s, when they were battling relegation for most of the season, after their defense left for Italy). Gladbach on the other hand (the other German team of the 1970s), could not build on their sporting successes back then.  Altho, there they were handicapped by location, and thus less lucrative sponsoring opportunity.

Dortmund was the first or second team in Germany in the second half of the 1990s early 2000s. But there they overspend, and were close to liquidation at some point (guys like Paulo Sousa were international stars, but rather expensive). And dropped off competitive wise, then Klopp came and turned their fortunes.

Our dearest Neighbours kept on deluding themselves over challenging Bayern, esp. after they won the European cup in the early 1980s. Their delusions of grandeur were in equal measures hillarious, and annoying. So them eventually dropping was a source of joy for nearly the entirety of German football fans. Fun anecdote for the scousers, they were considering hiring Klopp from Mainz back in the day, so they sent somebody to watch him a bit closer, and his report contained bits like. Doesn'T dress or shave properly (basically looks like hobo, thus doesn't fit into the club, image wise). When Klopp heard of that, he was not too impressed and opted to not sign for them and went to Dortmund instead. I shudder at the thought, that he might have turned their fortunes around. On that notion, I probably shouldn't pick on PG and Consigliere right now. I mean, all I can say to you guys, keep your heads up and you'll never walk alone :leaving:

Anyway, I got sidetracked here. WRT Liverpool and the 1990s. don't forget you still had Heysel and that European ban (on English clubs courtesy LFC). So English clubs as a whole dropped off quality wise. As the teams lacked the influx of foreign talent (players and coaches) and competition against teams from the continent to catch up with the development in football. Things started to look a bit better for English teams starting mid 1990s I'd say. And no, I don't think England missing out on the World Cup 1994 was an accident, but a direct consequence.

Archived