Football: The Closed Season

mormont

I found this article (NYT, limited clicks) interesting.

Message is that commentators tend to pigeonhole players after racial attributes - seeing African players more in the "pace and power"-department, and also not seeing them as hard-working, while seeing the white players as more "creative" or "intelligent". 

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

Message is that commentators tend to pigeonhole players after racial attributes - seeing African players more in the "pace and power"-department, and also not seeing them as hard-working, while seeing the white players as more "creative" or "intelligent". 

There's nothing new to this. Stereotyping players by race is as old as time. 

The white player is intelligent and hard working.

The black player is bigger and stronger.

The Latin player is fiery.

The Asian player is disciplined. 

These dumb things have been happening for ages.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:27 PM, Philokles said:

No way should Wagner be surviving this. Schalke haven’t won a game since the first one of 2020! But you’re right that the issues go deeper, the club needs a clearout starting with Tönnies.

Not much of a surprise to see Bremen hammer Köln when Timo Horn went on record saying he hoped Fortuna would go down. He could’ve made that Rashica goal look a little more convincing.

Wagner does infact survive, but he will be under surveillance. So if Schalke show a poor start he will be out of the job before too long. And Tönnies stepped down. Interesting side note, Schalke is in a precarious financial situation now. Not just corona, them missing out on the European competitions yet again, is also an issue. So one scenario was teh club asking Tönnies for yet another loan (which he usually grants with an interest rate of around 6%), now they asked the state of NRW for a loan. With Tönnies out of the door, I don't think going there for another loan is really the way to go.

Köln fans were not too impressed with their team. While they were generally happy that their fierce rivals dropped, there was still a mixture between resignation (fits into a pattern of last day games with very little on the line) and outrage/embarassment (as that was clearly a pathetic performance). Of course, Horn is obviously a home-grown Köln player, who supported the club since he was a kid, so him wishing Düsseldorf to drop, is a about as surprising, as Arsenal fans hoping Spurs will lose, or the Nevilles' praying for a Liverpool collapse, or Fowler hoping United finishes outside the CL spots. So of course he would. To me this is like, water is wet news.

Meanwhile, Jos is expectedly out of the job, and we're in the market for a new manager, so basically same procedure as last year, and the year before.  It's almost like we are trying to imitate our dearest neighbours.

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

We need to get in the top 4 to have an outside chance of signing Jadon Sancho. Don't step on my dreams.

Dreams are important. Just because it has been 25 years since you last won something, don't let people step on your dreams!

6 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Even if we were to divide players along those lines and rate them in these areas, Ronaldinho alone would be enough to tip the scales for creativity in dark-skinned players favour.

44 minutes ago, baxus said:

Even if we were to divide players along those lines and rate them in these areas, Ronaldinho alone would be enough to tip the scales for creativity in dark-skinned players favour.

Heh. My first thought was about hard-working players, and the first three that came to mind was Kanté, Gana and Makelélé..

Archived