Football: The Closed Season

mormont

Article in The Times saying that due to the delayed start of next season (and the resulting fixture pile-up), it is very likely that the premier league sides that have qualified for European competition will not take part in the Carabao cup. 

Two things are very obviously causing defensive issues: one that they are attacking down Luke Shaw's side and not Wan Bissaka's, and second that Maguire is playing offside traps but Wan Bissaka isn't.

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

I know a lot of United fans are keen on McTominay, but I've never understood why. He's really not very good.

I expect his career trajectory will be similar to Tom Cleverley's

He's both a very different player to Cleverley and so far been much better than Clev ever was. He's more Darren Fletcher than Cleverley.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He's both a very different player to Cleverley and so far been much better than Clev ever was. He's more Darren Fletcher than Cleverley.

Yeah, not trying to compare them as players, just saying that I expect he'll end up playing for someone nearer the bottom of the league.

Nah. Consistently one of our best players this season, whether we've been bad or good. And while if we reach where we want to be he shouldn't be one of our *best*, there'll still always be a squad place for a player like that.

Also: don't beat around the bush Keano tell us what you really think.

So many Spurs players have completely lost the plot at exactly the same time, so I expect they're doomed. Pogba and Greenwood coming on is helping United's cause, of course, but the Spurs players seem to be actively trying to provide them assistance.

Greenwood should really be starting over James, who is plops.

Woof

Anyway the partnership between him and Bruno looks promising. Few issues to iron out, some (the defensive communication) being a ring-rust thing some longer-term issues (as lovely as the midfield is, we're in a weird situation where we lack both real creativity from wide and a genuine out-and-out striker, which makes positioning odd at times) but after the embarrassing first half, the second half was a good sign.

Argh. We should have won that fucking game. Yet another costly De Gea mistake in a long line of costly mistakes over the past two seasons. His contract extension for ridiculous wages is as bad as Sanchez's contract. 

Re: McTominay. He's more than useful as a squad player but shouldn't really be a starter for a team looking to compete at the top end. Barring a few exceptions, his best performances tend to come when we have to play for most of the game without the ball - his workrate and tackling comes to the fore in those situations. He tends to be less effective when we are the ones controlling possession because then you need players with the technical ability to break the oppositions defensive line and McTominay is neither a great passer nor dribbler to be able to do that on a consistent basis. 

Yeah, the de Gea contract extension seems like a truly awful decision now, given his continued run of poor form and the fact you have Dean Henderson looking ready to step in and be an immediate improvement.

Do they stick with him next season and send Henderson out on loan again? It's difficult to see anyone being interested in DdG with the fee and wages that will likely be demanded.

I'd drop De Gea right now for Romero. I wouldn't mind Henderson being given a shot at the #1 spot next season. I think all United fans have to accept that this is not just a blip for DDG anymore. He was world class but now it looks increasingly like he's turned into the Spanish David James. 

Archived