Football: The Closed Season

mormont

I know you genuinely are just posting that because it's a good goal, but I've always found it a bit tragic how so many United fans cling to the memory of Ronaldo as if he's still their own.

Rather than surpresssing Dan James with the memories of players past, why not get him a set of gold hotpants and set him free!

11 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Heh. My first thought was about hard-working players, and the first three that came to mind was Kanté, Gana and Makelélé..

Those, too. There are so many examples to the contrary that those statements about attributes of black and/or white players are just plain stupid.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

Those, too. There are so many examples to the contrary that those statements about attributes of black and/or white players are just plain stupid.

It is plain stupid, but - as the article shows - it still continues. 

So worth mentioning, methinks.

Good performance and a comfortable win. Pogba and Bruno operating very well together and the fluidity of our play has gone up a notch. Greenwood is improving all the time and looks like he's spent the last 3 months pumping iron. One player who hasn't been getting the credit he deserves is Matic. He's been playing like his old self again since around Feb and is a big reason behind the improvement in our defensive displays.

A disappointing piece of news is that Angel Gomes has declined renewing his contract and is now a free agent. I hope he makes a smart move and actually joins a club where he has a chance at game time and not do something stupid like joining Chelsea (there have been rumours). 

2 hours ago, Rorshach said:

It is plain stupid, but - as the article shows - it still continues. 

So worth mentioning, methinks.

Didn't mean to imply it's not worth mentioning. Sorry if I gave that impression.

And it definitely goes on. We've recently had a consultant during CL broadcast make a comment along the lines "They have too many black players in their defensive line so you can't expect them to show much defensive discipline." Can't remember what team it was about. Good thing is that people at least started talking about things like that.

1 minute ago, baxus said:

Didn't mean to imply it's not worth mentioning. Sorry if I gave that impression.

And it definitely goes on. We've recently had a consultant during CL broadcast make a comment along the lines "They have too many black players in their defensive line so you can't expect them to show much defensive discipline." Can't remember what team it was about. Good thing is that people at least started talking about things like that.

I don't really think you meant it that way, but I sort of thought it could be read fatalistically (same for Tywin), and I just felt like clarifying a bit. I do not have the impression that you wouldn't care.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Aaaand breathe ( Fine losing Auba, losing Saka would have been been sad)

I'm a little bit surprised he's signed for Arsenal actually. I didn't necessarily think he'd leave but it's clear Arsenal have a big rebuild on their hands. I thought he might see how it goes next year and then explore his options if it doesn't go well.

52 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'm a little bit surprised he's signed for Arsenal actually. I didn't necessarily think he'd leave but it's clear Arsenal have a big rebuild on their hands. I thought he might see how it goes next year and then explore his options if it doesn't go well.

I think the rebuild could be attractive for Saka.  He’ll get more first team action for a rebuilding Arsenal than he would as a back-up for Mane & Robertson for Liverpool, for example.  I don’t know what other clubs he was considering, and perhaps there was first team football available for him elsewhere, but I don’t think Arsenal’s rebuild was a negative for him at his age.

Yeah Saka's in a great place at Arsenal. Though he was used mostly out of position for a large part of this season, he's also pretty definitely their best crosser/passer-who-isn't-Ozil and as such should get plenty of chances in the creative departments of the team going forward.

He's also for my money probably the best prospect England have (sorry Mason Greenwood) and is therefore a great keep for Arsenal.

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He's also for my money probably the best prospect England have (sorry Mason Greenwood) and is therefore a great keep for Arsenal.

I assume, that means you are not considering TAA, Sancho or Foden as mere prospects anymore.

Anyway, looks like Sane to Bayern is actually happening this time around.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I assume, that means you are not considering TAA, Sancho or Foden as mere prospects anymore.

I'm not really counting TAA or Sancho though it wouldn't shock me if he bettered them too. I think he's gonna be better than Foden.

34 minutes ago, Raja said:

Man, Norwich have gifted us two goals.

Sure did but I appreciate how our hounding of the GK and good press placement can lead to mistakes. That is not normal Arsenal.

Archived