Canadian Politics: The Surreality of Life under King Corona

Tywin Manderly

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Our city's Mayor here in Minneapolis oddly looks like him.

That's what I thought when I saw him as well!

2 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

Justin Trudeau points out that racism is in fact still a problem in Canada, conservatives of course flip their shit over this easily verifiable fact and idiots like Stockwell Day goes on TV to compare what minorities face to him being bullied in school for wearing glasses.

I am watching in amazement as the opposition is denouncing Trudeau for not attacking the actions taken by Trump, because it's our obligation to do so.

I say, are you guys f***ing nuts? I was driving home from the grocery store and heard Quebec premier Legault rant on, demanding that Trudeau attack Trump. Idiot. I guess he didn't bother watching any of the impeachment hearings, and never heard Adam Schiff get asked how much harm could Trump do between January and the election in November. "A lot" was his very prescient answer. Trump, if he loses, is in office until the end of January, the amount of shit he could dump on Canada lashing out at an attack doesn't bear thinking about.

That 21 seconds of silence spoke volumes.

Meantime, about Ontario's Covid-19 numbers. I expect the bump up we had reflected the holiday weekend a week ago. But I was shocked to hear that 150 immigrant workers have caught the virus, and the caught it here, because they were in quarantine first. And one Mexican gentleman died. More incompetence. There's just so much lack of care in evidence, everywhere.

Update

May          29        30          31        1           2          3

cases     cases    cases    cases    cases    cases    cases                 

BC              4         11           -         24          4         22

Albt           24        13          18        34        13        19

Sask            2          4            1          1          0          1

Man            0           0           1          0          2          1

ON           344       323       326      404      446      338

Que          530       419       408      295      239      291

NS                0           1           0          1          0          1

NB                2           3           0          0          1          2

Nfld              0           0           0          0          0          0

Totals        906       772        757      758      705      675

I think this is day 33 for PEI without a case. I hate to drop Nfld and jinx them. Let's hope Ontario is over it's bump up. After quite a stretch of single digit or low teen numbers (the 24 on the 1st is 2 days) even BC had a small bump up. But my goodness, that was a fast drop for Quebec. Except for deaths, their deaths have been terrible. 810 in 10 days. 4,794 out of 7,498 in all of Canada. 8.48 million people, gee, I thought they were closer to Ontario's 14.57. So, holy geez, a death rate of 565 per million, up there with Italy, the UK and Spain, each with 565, 585 and 580 respectively. Ontario has 2,312 deaths, so 158 per million. Canada's number is 199.

Yeah it certainly puts Ontario's performance into context - double the population of QC but only a fraction of total cases and fatalities.

I would take us all back to March though: the timing of Spring Break could have been the key driver (Quebec early, then Ontario, then BC [which basically cancelled Spring Break]). If the timing had been the other way around, QC might have avoided this disaster. 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Yeah it certainly puts Ontario's performance into context - double the population of QC but only a fraction of total cases and fatalities.

I would take us all back to March though: the timing of Spring Break could have been the key driver (Quebec early, then Ontario, then BC [which basically cancelled Spring Break]). If the timing had been the other way around, QC might have avoided this disaster. 

I don't think cancelling spring break would have had as big an impact as that, so many Quebecois head south for the winter, there was a flood of returning citizens who brought it with them. And they went through New York for the most part (a lot drive south). 

Update

May          31        1           2          3          4           5

cases     cases    cases    cases    cases    cases                    

BC               -         24          4         22         9           0

Albt           18        34        13         19       19           7

Sask             1          1          0          1          1          1

Man             1          0          2          1          0          2         

ON           326       404      446      338     356       344

Que          408       295      239      291     259       255

NS                0           1          0          1         0           0

NB                0           0          1          2         1           0

Nfld              0           0          0          0         0           0

Totals        757       758       705      675     645       609

Apparently 43% of the new cases in Hamilton are people in their 20s and 30s, 31 out of 73 cases in the last 10 days. Sadly, yesterday, New Brunswick had their first death. Compare that to Nova Scotia, where 53 of their 61 deaths were in one nursing home. The recent cases in BC were temporary foreign workers on farms. We really need to do better in that area. I hope next week we start going below 500 a day, but there may be a bump up in two weeks from the protest marches. I would point out Florida (pop. 24M) had 1,400 cases today.

Not sure what miracle has occurred in Montreal, but it seems like Quebec is coming out the other side of this. Ontario (and the GTA) are now the biggest drivers of new cases in Canada.

Come on ON!

Update

June           3          4           5          6          7          8

cases     cases    cases    cases    cases    cases                    

BC              22         9           0         -           -          29       

Albt            19       19           7        40         -          64

Sask             1          1          1          1          0           4

Man             1          0          2          0          0           0     

ON           338      356       344      455      415       243

Que          291      259       255      226      225       198

NB                2          1           0          0          0           9

NS                1          0           0          0          0           0

Totals        675       645       609      722     640        545

BC now seems to be skipping reporting on both Saturday and Sunday, and Alberta is giving Sunday a miss as well. Ontario got caught up on numbers, 223 of the 415 reported on Sunday were catch-up from late reports from other days, so actually we were below 500 on both Sunday and Monday if you divide up the numbers. I see NB had the most cases in one day in more than two months. I assume they are all related to the Campbelton doctor. Ontario is going to open up some more, I'm waiting to hear folks in Northern Ontario can move ahead of the rest of us. I wonder where the Alberta cases were from, a meat packing plant again? I took Newfoundland off the list, I don't think I'm going to jinx them. :) 

eta: oh, and there were only 35 deaths reported today, and 27 yesterday. Quite the drop.

eta 2: So everybody in the province moved to phase 2 except Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, Peel and parts of Halton, and Windsor. Too many new cases. 

RE: Alberta, does the spike in cases cot coincide with re-opening? I seem to recall that restaurants etc opened with distancing about two weeks ago...

Numbers definitely looking better in QC and ON now. Hopefully ON can finally get active cases down to three figures in the next three or four weeks.

Update

June           5          6          7          8          9          10        11

cases     cases    cases    cases    cases    cases   cases                  

BC               0         -           -          29        10         12        14

Albt             7        40         -          64         27        47        40

Sask             1          1          0           4         2          2           2

Man             2          0          0           0         0          0           0

ON           344      455      415       243      230      251      203

Que          255      226      225       198     138       156      144

NB                0          0          0           9        1            4         2

NS                0          0          0           0        1            0         0

Totals        609      722      640        547    409       472      405

I thought we might go below 400 today, with Ontario all the way down to 203, but Alberta had 40 new cases. Oh well. Tomorrow. The trend is good. Churchgoers in Ontario can go back to live services on Sunday, as long as the church stays at 30% capacity or less. I know my church won't be ready for Sunday, because we have to set up teams to disinfect pews after every mass and get ushers set up to show people which pews they can sit in, to maintain social distancing. I probably won't attend a live service for a while yet.

Update

June           9          10        11        12        13        14        15

cases     cases    cases    cases    cases    cases   cases                  

BC             10         12        14        16         -           -          36

Albt           27        47         40        30        37        50         20

Sask            2          2           2          3          1          1          18  

Man            0          0           0          1          2          1            0

ON          230       251       203      182      266      197       181

Que         138       156       144      181      158      128       102

NB               1           4           2          1          3          0           3

NS               1           0           0          0          0           0          0

Total       409        472       405      413      467      377        360        

Looks like we'll be under 400 new cases again today, I hope that Alberta and BC don't have over 93 cases between them. I have not heard what happened in Saskatchewan, with the 18 cases. Even Ontario is looking good. Sadly, by the end of the week we'll likely hit the 100,000 confirmed cases mark. I don't know why that makes me feel badly, we likely have north of 500,000 cases in reality.

eta: ok, Alberta just reported 20, I don't expect 70 in BC.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Conservative leader debates to be held over the next two days...scintillating stuff!

[gags]

Yet I know I'll watch, if possible. Hopefully they're not all caricatures of normal human beings, but...

But.

2 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

[gags]

Yet I know I'll watch, if possible. Hopefully they're not all caricatures of normal human beings, but...

But.

Based on my rudimentary knowledge, it seems like none of the front-runners are anywhere as conservative as Scheer? 

Very different to the 2017 election when it was Scheer v Bernier.

55 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Based on my rudimentary knowledge, it seems like none of the front-runners are anywhere as conservative as Scheer? 

Very different to the 2017 election when it was Scheer v Bernier.

But more ding-batty. When your slogan is ‘Take Back Canada’, as O’Toole’s is, you really have to wonder. Go to any story about O’Toole posted on Facebook and the comments section is mind boggling.

Did anyone watch the English language Conservative leadership debate? I gather the Quebec debate was pretty funny because none of them can really speak French. I only heard some highlights on the radio, stuff like Trudeau failed Canada by not being New Zealand and immediately shutting down borders (I guess 300,000 Canadians were supposed to be left stranded in the US, Europe and elsewhere, think of the lawsuits against the government if we had done that), Trudeau has spent too much money, and, something that I'm not sure I heard correctly, Trudeau has failed the environment.

Archived