Canadian Politics: The Surreality of Life under King Corona

Tywin Manderly

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did anyone watch the English language Conservative leadership debate? I gather the Quebec debate was pretty funny because none of them can really speak French. I only heard some highlights on the radio, stuff like Trudeau failed Canada by not being New Zealand and immediately shutting down borders (I guess 300,000 Canadians were supposed to be left stranded in the US, Europe and elsewhere, think of the lawsuits against the government if we had done that), Trudeau has spent too much money, and, something that I'm not sure I heard correctly, Trudeau has failed the environment.

Yeah, it's pretty hard for the opposition to come up with any coherent criticism of the government right now. Comparisons with NZ are laughable. I think they would be wiser to run a more positive campaign on how the Conservatives (might) better repair national finances and promote business activity in the medium-term recovery period, rather than focusing on the immediate pandemic, which has largely been well-handled by the Feds and Provinces (notable exceptions: support for aged care facilities; financial/rent assistance to SMEs).

7 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

So that scumbag that killed a whole bunch of people in Nova Scotia might have been working for the cops.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-nova-scotia-shooter-case-has-hallmarks-of-an-undercover-operation/

That is fascinating. But what the hell would he be an informant for? Nova Scotia isn't a drug dealer's haven, is it? Maybe?

Catch-up Update

June           15      16        17       18       19     20      21     22

BC             36        11        19        8        7        -         -

Albt           20        35       48       49      46      48      31

Sask           18         1         9       15        8      10      20  

Man             0         0         2         3        2         -        -

ON            181    184     190     173     178     206   175    161

Que           102      92     117     120     167     124     92     69

NB                3        3          1         0        0          1      0

Total          330    320     386     367     409     390   318

I deleted Nova Scotia because they have gone to 0 lately, I will add them back in if needed. It looks like Canada could go below 300 cases today. Ontario hit a new 3 month low, as did Quebec. We should find out later today if Toronto, Hamilton and Windsor can enter Phase 2 with the rest of the province.

Toronto into Stage 2...Windsor still stuck in Stage 1.

It's good to see that Alberta's numbers haven't spiked too much despite re-opening some gyms etc. Bodes well for re-opening other parts of the country. 

I wonder whether we've hit a bit of a stalemate now. The stock of active cases will continue to gradually decrease in Quebec, but everywhere else I'm just expecting to see a flat line for a while. Fatalities is really quite low now which is great and probably shows that the aged care sector has stabilized across the country. 

SK has had a mini-outbreak in the past week. 

Update

June           20       21       22        23       24       25

BC                -         -        32        13       14       20    

Albt           48        31       32        45       44       26      

Sask           10       20         5        11          4         3

Man             2         -          1          0          1        1

ON            206     175     161     216       163    189

Que           124       92       69       49         53    142

NB                1         0         0          1          0         0

Total         390      318      300     335      279     380

The numbers are bouncing a bit, but 6 days now below 400 new cases. That would be like the US being well below 4,000, instead of 40,000. We have 37 M people, the US about 330 M, so 10x doesn't quite work. 10x would be to the advantage of the US. A couple of surprises for me: a farm in Windsor-Essex had more than 200 cases among their foreign workers, and a farm in Simcoe had more than 400. Simcoe grows more than 40 kinds of vegetables and has all kinds of meat producing farms. Plus Creemore Springs and Flying Monkey beer. (It runs from Georgian Bay to Barrie, north to Orillia.) I was surprised to find out that Windsor-Essex has more acres under glass than any place in the world outside of Holland. No wonder I could buy Canadian strawberries all winter. Mobile testing centers were set up in farming country but were closed down because nobody came after the first couple of days. No wonder Ford was pissed off with farmers.

Quebec had a big jump up after some really good numbers. Just yesterday I heard a discussion on the radio about how badly the US was doing, which they could not understand, when Quebec had been just as open as some US states with no big increase in numbers. The heat wave started when, 10 days ago, and drove people outside, let's see if today's number was an aberration. Next week, though, is moving day in Quebec, July 1, when the majority of leases expire and everyone moves on the same day. Hard to pack up your apartment in a socially distanced manner.

Meanwhile the 4 Maritime provinces have agreed to be in one bubble, with citizens of each province being able to travel around without quarantine. Hopefully that will spread some tourist dollars around.

I went out for a walk last night...Torontonians are definitely not socially distancing on King West patios. *sigh*

I hope the testing infrastructure continues to expand. I think Canada's main hope is that local outbreaks can be rapidly tested and controlled. Personally I wouldn't even bother with "Stage 3" this summer. Ottawa will have to keep the printing presses on. 

I wondered how Quebec would turn out after 4 days of no reports during their St. Jean de Baptiste holiday weekend, and so far so good, 311 cases since Thursday or less than 80 a day. Mark the week of July 6th to see if the holiday boosted covid cases, and, of course, the following week of the 13th to see how the rest of Canada has done over Canada Day celebrating. No one is having celebrations, per se, but the weather's good and people are out.

Ontario had a massive number today, 257, but more shocking (or not, it's been building up) is where the cases are. Farms. More and more cases in farm country are being found, as the mobile test centres have been sent out. Of the 257, 177 were on farms in the Windsor-Essex area, the majority of them on one large farming operation. And another 25 cases are linked to that nail salon in Kingston. Poor Kingston. The high number of 178 yesterday apparently included 135 cases on another farm. Once again, no wonder Ford is pissed off at farmers. And guess what - there are workers who work at several different farms, like nursing home workers.

So out of 257 cases reported today, only 55 were in the rest of the province. The numbers for the City of Toronto for the last three days are 17, 9 and 27, pretty encouraging. 

Hmm, I wonder if Quebec has done a survey of farms as well, or if that's a surprise waiting to happen.

I'll do an update later today, after BC reports in.

eta: Ouch, Australia had it's highest number of new cases in ages, 81.

42 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

eta: Ouch, Australia had it's highest number of new cases in ages, 81.

The Australia "spike" is largely confined to a few suburbs in Melbourne. I'd be surprised if we see this number getting in to the hundreds per day, though it is always a possibility, particularly when restrictions have been mostly lifted.

Bear in mind that, unlike Canada, Australia is now approaching its peak cold/'flu season. 

Update

June           24       25      26      27      28      29      30

BC              14       20      10       -         -       26      12   

Albt            44       26      37      69      39      71      41    

Sask             4         3        6        6        1        1        6

Man             1         1        2        4        0        2        1   

ON            163    189     111    160    178     257   157

Que           153    142         -        -        -      311     78

NS                0         0         0        0       0         0        1

Total          279     380    266     239    218    668    296

One stretch of holidays is done, the Quebec stretch, and now the rest of the country is celebrating Canada Day, so I don't know if anyone will report today. I switched out NB with NS, since NB has had no cases since the 23rd and NS had it's first since, oh my, the 12th. And this case is travel related, though I don't know where the person went. We had that big bump with Quebec and Ontario's farm number, let's see if we stay down. However, I understand the mobile testing units have moved to the Niagara farmland now, so be prepared with another big number from us sometime in the next week.

The good thing is that Canada’s numbers are stable despite a more targeted testing strategy. The bad thing is that the potential effects of easing restrictions are still not clear...

Oh and happy Canada Day everyone!

9 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

Armed man was arrested after enter Rideau Hall grounds.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/police-opeation-rideau-hall-1.5634749

What I’ve heard so far is that the guy is a member of the armed forces, a Ranger, and he drove his truck from Manitoba to Rideau Hall. He had a long gun ‘and a note’. Does not sound good. Presumably he went there to kill the PM...

Ontario reported it’s numbers for the 1st and the 2nd, splitting them out, 149 and 153 cases, Alberta did not, so just dropped 94 cases reported, and BC only reported 24 for the two days. Quebec had 69. I’d swear I heard 77 cases in Toronto over the last two days on the radio, but I don’t see it on the web page. I was out today and drove past St. Joseph’s testing Centre, where I had my test done at the end of May, and for the first time I saw a line-up of maybe 20 people. All of them looked to be in their 20s and 30s. I drive by there whenever I go to Costco, maybe I’ve seen 2 or 3 people in line before.

eta: oh, and Nunavut reported a presumptive case, someone who flew in to a mine. But their tests go out-of-territory to a lab, and it may take 10 days to get the results.

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

Media's doing puff pieces on the guy who attacked Rideau Hall, apparently he made really good garlic sausage.

What the actual fuck.

Don't forget, the first pieces out about the Nova Scotia shooter were fairly positive as well, a denturist who did volonteer work, a nice guy. Nobody started off with 'he beats his girlfriend'.

The rush to publish asap reveals how superficial initial backgrounds are. 

It's pathetic, and disdainful of treatment [by media and police] of POC.

Archived