Cersei's Execution

Tywin Manderly

21 minutes ago, Tywin Manderly said:

What method will the Faith use to execute Cersei in the event that she would lose her trial by combat? 

I expect they would burn her.

24 minutes ago, Tywin Manderly said:

What method will the Faith use to execute Cersei in the event that she would lose her trial by combat? 

Female executions were very rare throughout our own history. Thus far we haven't heard of any in our story?

4 minutes ago, Jekse said:

Female executions were very rare throughout our own history. Thus far we haven't heard of any in our story?

Lady Serala of Myr - who was the wife of Lord Denys Darklyn, the last Darklyn lord of Duskendale - was executed subsequent to the Defiance of Duskendale. First her tongue as well as her female parts were ripped from her body, and after that she was burned alive.

1 hour ago, Tywin Manderly said:

I don't think she'll be undone by the Faith, but IF so, I'm confident it would be beheading.

Highborns don't get hanged unless death-by-vengence-type-of-deal.

The Faith wouldn't burn anyone because Red God connotations, and also they'd avoid anything seeming to cruel in the eyes of the many because the Mothers mercy. I think the biggest deciding factor would be what PR-strategy the High Sparrow deems best for the Faith.

3 hours ago, Jekse said:

Some executions of noblewomen that come to mind in our real world are Anne Boleyn, Catherine Howard, Mary, Queen of Scots & Margaret Pole, two queens consort, a deposed queen regnant & a niece of a king. The first was beheaded with a sword instead of the "common" axe, but the other three didn't get to enjoy that privilege. 

As for the world of Ice & Fire:

• Rhaenyra Targaryen, eaten by a dragon.
  • Lady Fell in the Dance of the Dragons, beheaded.
  • Bethany Bracken, method unclear.
  • Agnes Blackwood, stabbed to death by the ironborn king.
  • Serala of Myr, horrifically tortured to death.
  • Jeyne Poore, burned alive.
  • Sylvenna Sand & Essie, hanged.
  • Masha Heddle, hanged.

As a dragon is no longer available to eat a royal woman, beheading probably seems the most likely.

But, I am not sure if she will be found guilty, anyway.

There is also Victarion Greyjoy's third wife whom he executed by beating her to death, subsequently to her being raped or seduced by Euron. Victarion then carried her body down to the rocks to give her to the crabs.

16 minutes ago, Tywin Manderly said:

There is also Victarion Greyjoy's third wife whom he executed by beating her to death, subsequently to her being raped or seduced by Euron. Victarion then carried her body down to the rocks to give her to the crabs.

I would personally consider that more of a murder/killing than an execution, as Victarion wasn't legally carrying out a death sentence in that case. :)

There was also Mysaria of Lys, Rhaenyra's mistress of whisperers. She was forced to go naked thru the city to the Gate of the Gods, while being whipped. Died halfway thru her "walk of shame". Maybe they will do the same to Cersei, but she will survive.

4 hours ago, Vaith said:

I would personally consider that more of a murder/killing than an execution, as Victarion wasn't legally carrying out a death sentence in that case. :)

It is very much within the realm of possibilities that Balon Greyjoy was the one who ordered her death with Victarion acting as executioner. Balon did exile Euron Greyjoy for that offense as well, the taboo against kinslaying saving the latter's life. 

27 minutes ago, Your Mummer said:

Methinks Cersei might be ordering the executions if a certain Robert Strong performs as advertised during the trial by combat. The Faith and the Tyrells would be wise not to be in the audience. 

You remind me of Varys. 

On 5/2/2020 at 9:27 AM, Jekse said:

On 5/2/2020 at 9:01 AM, Tywin Manderly said:

Head removal.  

On 5/2/2020 at 10:30 AM, Angel Eyes said:

Dragon roasting, ie Rhaenyra?

On 5/2/2020 at 10:39 AM, Tywin Manderly said:

Lady Serala of Myr - who was the wife of Lord Denys Darklyn, the last Darklyn lord of Duskendale - was executed subsequent to the Defiance of Duskendale. First her tongue as well as her female parts were ripped from her body, and after that she was burned alive.

On 5/2/2020 at 12:48 PM, Vaith said:
  • Jeyne Poore, burned alive.

I feel that we have a precedent here...

Although I see her ending in Casterly Rock, I expect the Quiet Isle to play out somehow.

Maybe nothing big happens at all. But to obscure the whole Kettleback case Cersei has to marry him and is sent to the island. Some temptation for the Hound.

Executing women tends to increase when there are religious schisms afoot (Anne Boleyn, Lady Jane Grey, Margaret Pole). Witchcraft allegations also induce public execution of women. 

"Retiring" to a convent was the traditional way to rid yourself of inconvenient former queens and stray unmarried or unmarriagable daughters. Cersei would be a nightmare in a nunnery but if it was all paramilitary nuns and she was kept locked up, it might possibly work  

The valonqar prophecy says she'll die by manual strangulation; someone with large hands. That's a personal way to kill someone--doubt that it would come from the Faith but rather someone she wronged  

Archived